Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Need Help Finding 9mm Concealed carry pistol

Hi, I'm interested in getting a 9mm concealed carry pistol. I do not want something that is large or chunky. I want something that is small, light, and easy to conceal (preferably a pocket-size gun). For this thread, I just wanted to make a comprehensive list of guns that meet my criteria. So far, I have the following list of must-haves:

-Chambered in 9mm (9x19)
    -Costs $400 or less (I'll be buying it online, I won't be paying the inflated prices at some of these gun shops)
    -Durable and reliable (if I can't count on it to work every time, why carry it?)

There are so many guns out there, which is why I'm asking others for help in making the list. So far, I am considering the pistols listed below. I did not add the Glock 26 to the list yet, partly because of the price, but also party because it's a double stack gun (I'm debating whether double stack pistols would be compact enough for my purposes. If there is something else you want me to consider, just let me know

-Kahr CW9
    -Beretta Nano
    -Keltec PF9
    -Diamondback DB9
    -Ruger LC9
    -Taurus PT 709 Slim
    -SCCY CPX-1

Default Re: Need Help Finding 9mm Concealed carry pistol

No m&p shield? I'm pretty sure they can be had for $389 or so?
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Cumberland County)

Shield or a Kahr CM9, the CW9 won't even come close to pocket size.

I pass on the Nano, trigger is funky, the gun itself is clunky.

I've had and carried a PF9. People will hate, but mine was 100% reliable, albeit a bit unrefined.

I've owned a number of Kahrs, and can't recommend them enough.

Truthfully, none of these guns will fit well into a pocket, unless you always buy pants with abnormally large pockets. I tried the PF9 in a pocket, some pants worked, some definitely didn't. Same with the CM9. The CW9 is too big for all but cargo pockets. It's very nice and slim though, and light. Makes a great iwb gun in a small well crafted lightweight holster.
    Last edited by rwb1500; October 1st, 2013 at 07:57 PM.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

I vote for Kahr CM9 if you want to carry in pocket.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by etep513 View Post
    Hi, I'm interested in getting a 9mm concealed carry pistol. I do not want something that is large or chunky. I want something that is small, light, and easy to conceal (preferably a pocket-size gun). For this thread, I just wanted to make a comprehensive list of guns that meet my criteria. So far, I have the following list of must-haves:

-Chambered in 9mm (9x19)
    -Costs $400 or less (I'll be buying it online, I won't be paying the inflated prices at some of these gun shops)
    -Durable and reliable (if I can't count on it to work every time, why carry it?)

There are so many guns out there, which is why I'm asking others for help in making the list. So far, I am considering the pistols listed below. I did not add the Glock 26 to the list yet, partly because of the price, but also party because it's a double stack gun (I'm debating whether double stack pistols would be compact enough for my purposes. If there is something else you want me to consider, just let me know

-Kahr CW9
    -Beretta Nano
    -Keltec PF9
    -Diamondback DB9
    -Ruger LC9
    -Taurus PT 709 Slim
    -SCCY CPX-1

I have the Kahr CW9 and it is a great gun. Good grip, I can get a full three finger grip on it. The trigger is long, but it is smooooooooooooooth and breaks very well. No internal lock, mechanical LCI, magazine disconnect or manual safety. As some of the above have. It has been on the market for a while so if it had bugs they have been worked out. For me Kahr, Ruger, and Beretta are the only brads in that List I would trust.

I did not consider the Ruger because of the internal lock, and mechanical LCI that I consider fundamental flaws in firearm design that are only added to be compliant in anti states. I also personally do not like magazine disconnects and manual safety's on firearms with log DA/Striker trigger pulls.

The Kahr has one of the longest barrels out of that group but still maintains a comparably small overall dimension. Given it size and weight it is surprisingly sharp shooting. At 7 yards I am just as accurate as my full size pistols.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

+1 on the Shield.

(Lackawanna County)

If you're thinking Ruger, pass on the LC9 and buy an SR9c.

I had an LC9, and I did not like the trigger. I sold it and bought an SR9c. This is my EDC firearm.

The SR9c is slightly bigger, but still fits in a pocket with the 10 round mag. It also come with a 17 round extended magazine.

Brand new, it cost me $426 out the door with a box of 9mm ammo.

(Dauphin County)

A new one just came out and I cant remember what the name of it is. It is small. The nines are getting smaller every couple months or so.

I have both the lc9 and pf9. They are small enough to pocket carry without any issues. The shield is just a little too big unless you're iwb.

I have a pf9 in desert tan and I must say in that color it's a nice add.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by animalmother85 View Post
    No m&p shield? I'm pretty sure they can be had for $389 or so?
    I heard some people say they were junky and unreliable. Also, where can you get them for that price?

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    Shield or a Kahr CM9, the CW9 won't even come close to pocket size.

I pass on the Nano, trigger is funky, the gun itself is clunky.

I've had and carried a PF9. People will hate, but mine was 100% reliable, albeit a bit unrefined.

I've owned a number of Kahrs, and can't recommend them enough.

Truthfully, none of these guns will fit well into a pocket, unless you always buy pants with abnormally large pockets. I tried the PF9 in a pocket, some pants worked, some definitely didn't. Same with the CM9. The CW9 is too big for all but cargo pockets. It's very nice and slim though, and light. Makes a great iwb gun in a small well crafted lightweight holster.
    Alright, I will replace the CW9 with the CM9 then. As long as they fit in my pants, idc.

Quote Originally Posted by QuackXP View Post
    I have the Kahr CW9 and it is a great gun. Good grip, I can get a full three finger grip on it. The trigger is long, but it is smooooooooooooooth and breaks very well. No internal lock, mechanical LCI, magazine disconnect or manual safety. As some of the above have. It has been on the market for a while so if it had bugs they have been worked out. For me Kahr, Ruger, and Beretta are the only brads in that List I would trust.

I did not consider the Ruger because of the internal lock, and mechanical LCI that I consider fundamental flaws in firearm design that are only added to be compliant in anti states. I also personally do not like magazine disconnects and manual safety's on firearms with log DA/Striker trigger pulls.

The Kahr has one of the longest barrels out of that group but still maintains a comparably small overall dimension. Given it size and weight it is surprisingly sharp shooting. At 7 yards I am just as accurate as my full size pistols.
    Would you be able to take a pic of the CW9 in your hand?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast