Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default buying vac/rental home?

Anyone have experience with buying home near poconos area for vacation/rental purposes? do you know of a good real estate agent to contact or private communites you have good experiences with?
    any info would be great.
    thanks

(Monroe County)

Default Re: buying vac/rental home?

Make sure it is on a township or state maintained road. I am not a fan of gated communities or those with dues and clubhouses.
    Lisa is very knowledgeable.

http://www.lisasanderson.com/
    http://www.lisasellsstroudsburg.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/LSanderson?fref=ts

(Monroe County)

Where?

I know a guy who's been trying to sell off some property.
    “When a man cannot chose, he ceases to be a man.”

(Montgomery County)

[QUOTE=Exbiker;2517287]Make sure it is on a township or state maintained road. I am not a fan of gated communities or those with dues and clubhouses.
    [QUOTE]

I, too, hate HOA's. The downside to avoiding an HOA is those non-HOA communities typically do not have private beaches or other facilities. It's those things that make a "vacation home" a "vacation home". Since the OP said he was interested in a vacation/rental home, it seems like he's looking for a resort-type home, not a retreat in the forest. If he's going to try to rent it out, he'll have a lot more success renting a resort type home with community amentities than one surrounded by trees or corn fields.

I have a vacation home in an HOA. The HOA dues are about $500/yr. For that, I get gates to keep out people who don't belong there, 3 maintained beaches with real bathrooms and covered pavilions, lifeguards, the ability to drink alcohol on the beach, club maintained docks for my boat (which I can leave in all summer), roads maintained by the HOA in the winter (plowing and salting), security patrol, ability to drive my ATV on the roads and on club-owned land, and a clubhouse.

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

Carbon County is less expensive than Monroe when it comes to property and school taxes. I didn't use this realtor, but Mary Enck Realty deals with a lot of properties in Carbon County.
    ...and they have a plan...

(Montgomery County)

And Schuykill County is 1/3 the taxes of Carbon.

(Chester County)

a few years ago i bought a place north of Jim Thorpe, near albrightsville...

+1 for mary enck and Ron Dunbar in particular - he was great and very knowledgeable - steered us in a great direction and not where we thought we initially wanted to be... in hindsight, we are incredibly happy with where we ended up.

a nice gun shop a few minutes down the road too... eastern arms - where i bought my first gun.

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowflag View Post
    a few years ago i bought a place north of Jim Thorpe, near albrightsville...

+1 for mary enck and Ron Dunbar in particular - he was great and very knowledgeable - steered us in a great direction and not where we thought we initially wanted to be... in hindsight, we are incredibly happy with where we ended up.

a nice gun shop a few minutes down the road too... eastern arms - where i bought my first gun.
    I love Eastern Arms!

One of the local communities in Albrightsville, Holiday Pocono, has its own outdoor shooting range.
    ...and they have a plan...

(Bucks County)

I bought a vacation home in Arrowhead Lake in 2004. We really enjoy our time spent there. The dues are high compared to some communities, but worth it in my opinion.

We used Century 21 on 115 and 940. Nothing good or bad to say about them. They did their job. Nothing out of the ordinary.
    Life Member NRA, SAF Member

(Chester County)

I'm in a similar situation, just started looking in Luzerne, Wyoming, Bradford, etc counties.

I don't know if realtors tend to cover such a large area? If the ones mentioned are well versed in covering the entire central to north east of the state I'd be in good hands!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast