Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Henry .22 Carbine with Large Loop Lever

Man, I've been wanting one of these for years.
    Not sure why I never just bought a new one - they aren't that expensive.
    I guess like many other gun owners, I suffer from tightwaditis, and need to find a "deal" in order to be happy.

Well, I'm happy now!
    Purchased used from a forum member at a fair price. It's practically spotless with only a couple light marks in the wood.

I absolutely LOVE straight grip lever guns and have an affinity for carbine length barrels, and "handy rifles" in general. I'm not a big guy, so while I really like rifles like M1 Garands, FN FALs, and the like, they are NOT fun for me to shoot.
    Now the standard Henry is only 36 1/2" overall length with an 18 1/4" barrel, so it's "small enough", but given the option, I prefer the shorter overall length of 34" and the 16 1/8" barrel of the carbine model.
    The large loop lever was just icing on the cake.

This one came with a Bushnell scope already mounted. I've never been much of a "scope guy", but my eyes have been working hard to change that over the last few years, so I think I'll give it a try rather than just taking it off.

Can't wait to shoot it!

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Default Re: Henry .22 Carbine with Large Loop Lever

Nice gun! Makes me even more jealous I missed out on it, but it looks like it went to a good home. Enjoy it!

(Washington County)

I just got one myself. It's been a blast. It's going to be my new small game rifle.

I'm hoping to go without a scope but we will see. The scope on yours doesn't look bad.
    FOAC Member, NRA Member

I just got a good deal on a Henry Yellow Boy in .22. The man had had it for 3 years and shot it once, because it looked to nice to shoot.
    I paid less than I would for a Blued Henry. I have one word for it, FUN.

(Westmoreland County)

Nice looking rifle!! you will love shooting a lever .22 rifle. They are just too much fun!! To help you load the rifle tub a bit faster, if you find the "right" diameter carbon arrow or bolt, you can seal up one end with whatever (Duct tape) and drill a hole to put in a metal spring clip on the other. Then, before you head to the range, load up your "tubes" with your ammo and you will have at least 4 or 5 (however many carbon tubes you can scrape up) ready to quickly dump into your rifle tube.

I have two Winchester 94-22's. On in 22-LR and the other in 22-Mag. I love to shoot these at the range and love to groundhog hunt with the 22-Mag.

Have fun with that one.

Dave

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidTM View Post
    Nice looking rifle!! you will love shooting a lever .22 rifle. They are just too much fun!! To help you load the rifle tub a bit faster, if you find the "right" diameter carbon arrow or bolt, you can seal up one end with whatever (Duct tape) and drill a hole to put in a metal spring clip on the other. Then, before you head to the range, load up your "tubes" with your ammo and you will have at least 4 or 5 (however many carbon tubes you can scrape up) ready to quickly dump into your rifle tube.

I have two Winchester 94-22's. On in 22-LR and the other in 22-Mag. I love to shoot these at the range and love to groundhog hunt with the 22-Mag.

Have fun with that one.

Dave

Ha! I was wondering if something like that could be done. I was actually going to Google it to see what I could find.

(Westmoreland County)

Yeah, I assume you can pull the loading tube out all the way on your Henry just like the Winchester. Just be careful when you do a fast load that you have your finger or "fat thumb" over the loading hole, or you can have ammo popping out there. Also, when you reload, count the number of rounds your tube magazine holds as you don't want to over-fill it. That can be...well a PITA...just sometimes.

Dave

(Allegheny County)

Are .22 Shorts any easier to find than .22LR?

I don't recall seeing them before, but then again, I've never looked for them either.

I have about a gazillion rounds of .22LR (well, maybe 5K rds), but I don't think I've ever even shot .22 shorts before.

(Westmoreland County)

Ha! 22-shorts are a real blast to shoot from a rifle. You can barely hear them go "poof" with ear protection on. Twice a month at our gun club during the summer (we just had the last one a few weeks ago) we shoot an "Action Pistol" shoot, where you are timed to shoot down 18 steel plates. One of the plates are for centerfire only and the other is for rimfire only. The rimfire only has 19 plates to knock down, and a few of us load a "mix" of 22-LR & 22-shorts in order to get at least 20 or 21 rounds of ammo in the "tube".

It's not as easy as it sounds, but it sure is a pile of fun to slap that lever gun as fast as you can while keeping it under control knowing you can only miss 2 rounds at most!! Just "a hoot to shoot"!!!

Dave

(Berks County)

Watch the receiver cover on the rocks. It's painted, not blued. It will chip.
    A Republic, if you can keep it.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast