Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    (Pike County)

Default Re: Henry .22 Carbine with Large Loop Lever

Very nice, the fit/finish on your rifle looks amazing for the price they retail for. I got to shoot my first lever action back in May, it was loaded with light 38 Special loads and felt like a 22LR. The peep sights made it a joy to plink steel at 25 yards and coming from semi-automatics I took to the controls/operation a lot faster than I expected. I'd probably bought myself a Henry's Made Leg by now (It looks all kinds of cool, especially with the leg rig) but with the 22LR situtation not improving I held off. A 38/357 might be feasible if I get into reloading.

Oh yeah where's the range report? I'd love to see how she patterns with an optic.
    Sanity, yours if you can keep it.....

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInPa View Post
    Very nice, the fit/finish on your rifle looks amazing for the price they retail for. I got to shoot my first lever action back in May, it was loaded with light 38 Special loads and felt like a 22LR. The peep sights made it a joy to plink steel at 25 yards and coming from semi-automatics I took to the controls/operation a lot faster than I expected. I'd probably bought myself a Henry's Made Leg by now (It looks all kinds of cool, especially with the leg rig) but with the 22LR situtation not improving I held off. A 38/357 might be feasible if I get into reloading.

Oh yeah where's the range report? I'd love to see how she patterns with an optic.

Yeah, the finish is nice. As far as inexpensive 22s go, it's twice as nice as any GSG .22LR variant I've seen. Feels like the real deal just slightly smaller/lighter.

I'm going to try and shoot it this weekend. If I don't, I'll just poke some holes in the bullseye with a pencil, take a pic, and post that up to impress everyone.

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Yeah, the finish is nice. As far as inexpensive 22s go, it's twice as nice as any GSG .22LR variant I've seen. Feels like the real deal just slightly smaller/lighter.

I'm going to try and shoot it this weekend. If I don't, I'll just poke some holes in the bullseye with a pencil, take a pic, and post that up to impress everyone.

Yeah, that's the problem with most 22 rifles they feel like an air soft toy. When I got an my hands on a M&P 15-22 I thought that's what a real AR-15 felt like (This was years before I handled an actual AR-15) so I was blown away by the weight/fit and finish on my Colt. You know if you're looking for more "realistic" feeling 22 rifles you should consider that STG-44 clone in 22LR. That thing has some weight to it and feels quality made, it's wood/steel construction would probably appeal to you.

Also why didn't you let me in on your little secret earlier? My marksmen skills are terrible and I could have used that tip awhile back.

(Washington County)

I second the STG44 clone having a realistic feel to it. I couldn't believe how heavy it was when I picked one up.

Henry's are a great rifle to shoot. They're as smooth as they look.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Allegheny County)

I have a GSG AK-47 and it feels nearly identical in weight to my WASR.

Quality is good, but could be better.

(Allegheny County)

Went to the range today.

I don't know what distance most people shoot 22s at, but 25 yds seems silly, and 100 yds a bit much for the first shots out of a new gun,
    so I set up some targets at the 50 yd backstop.

Didn't have much time so I only put about 50 rds through it.
    Ammo used was Winchester bulk.

I first shot it standing, while resting my support arm against a post.

I figured out on the next target after the first few shots that the hits were about 1.5" low.
    When I changed my point of aim from the center of the circle to the top edge, the hits started landing in the middle.

Seated - no rest - just resting my elbow on the table...

Then I tried shooting offhand, standing, using no support...
    (if the photo displays upside down, that's thanks to Photobucket's crappy editor that shows the image correctly in Photobucket,
    but then displays it incorrectly when posted here)

The little Henry functioned just fine. The lever throw seemed nice. I forgot to really concentrate on how the trigger felt though.
    I couldn't recall exactly how many rounds it would hold. I loaded between 12 and 13 each time.
    Looking at the website now, I see that "12" is the capacity (for .22LR). Good to know.

While this range trip was a short one, I left with only one regret - not having purchased one of these inexpensive "cowboy plinkers" years ago!

Last edited by Emptymag; October 13th, 2013 at 11:11 PM.

(Pike County)

Very nice.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Went to the range today.

Hey.......that's a very familiar looking range your shooting at their!!! I was just at the same place yesterday flinging some big chunks of lead down range out of my Marlin 45-70.

Was that you and another guy who came about noon, just as 4 of us were leaving???

Dave
    Last edited by DavidTM; October 14th, 2013 at 02:58 PM.

(Beaver County)

Nice shooting EM.

Always fun to try out a new to you gun.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInPa View Post
    Very nice.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidTM View Post
    Hey.......that's a very familiar looking range your shooting at their!!! I was just at the same place yesterday flinging some big chunks of lead down range out of my Marlin 45-70.

Was that you and another guy who came about noon, just as 4 of us were leaving???

Dave
    Not me. I was volunteering at a Halloween parade for pets around that time - I got there closer to 4pm.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyBear View Post
    Nice shooting EM.

Always fun to try out a new to you gun.
    Thanks. I don't really know how accurate I should expect a .22 to be at 50 yards. I do most of my shooting at close range.
    I think the results were pretty decent though when I consider that many of those hits were low before I figured out it was hitting low and compensated for it.
    With more time, tweaking the scope, and more cereal boxes, I'm sure I could have posted up some better results.

I've never been a long range shooter - it just never interested me.
    100 yards is about as far as I care to shoot. Beyond that you can't even see the target and if you can, the sight covers it completely.
    That said, 99% of my firearms use iron sights only, so I'm not really set up for distant shots.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast