Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Luzerne County)

Default cast bullets with micro groove?

Got a Marlin 1894/ 44 mag. micro groove. Has anybody got one to shoot well with hand loads with cast bullets???
    You don't have enough guns untill you don't know how many you have.

(Elk County)

Default Re: cast bullets with micro groove?

Yes, contrary to what the "experts" say in the gun rags and what's been regurgitated on the Interwebz.

Two main "secrets" to successful use of cast bullets in Marlin Microgroove rifling:

1) Bullets need to be sized 0.002" to 0.003" larger than a jacketed bullet.

B) Do not "push" cast bullet loads to maximum levels. Stay to moderate loads, keeping the velocity below 1100-1200 FPS if the cast bullets are not gas checked.

Back in the day (late 50s through the 80s) gun rag writers tended to really stoke cast bullet loads, only to experience lead fouling, causing the "experts" to proclaim that Microgroove rifling was not appropriate for cast bullets. If you have "magnumitis" like those gun writers did, then you should stick to jacketed bullets for your Marlin.

If you tone down the loads to moderate levels and keep the velocity at ~1100 FPS or less, lead fouling won't be a problem. If you want a little extra insurance, use cast bullets with gas checks, or use thin wax gas checks (google).

I regularly shoot cast bullets in my 30-30, 35 Remington, 32-20, 357 Magnum, 375 Winchester, and 45 Colt Marlins with Microgroove rifling without any lead fouling issues. In my 38-55, 45-70, and 45 Colt Marlin Cowboy rifles with Ballard rifling, I still stick to ~1200 FPS and below and I have yet to see ANY lead fouling in any of those rifles. I have a 38-55 load that will give me three-hole cloverleaf groups from the bench at 100 yds, with a ghost ring rear sight.

Don't take my word for it; there are a few articles about cast bullets in Marlins at Paco Kelly's Leverguns (google) and numerous posts at Marlinowners and 24 hr Campfire that support my personal experience.

There's no need for Mongo to be a simple pawn in the game of Life; be realistic about moderate loads and cast bullets will be an inexpensive alternative to higher-cost jacketed bullets or factory loads.

Noah
    Last edited by Noah_Zark; March 7th, 2014 at 11:35 AM.
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Lot of info on the Cast Boolits website on micro groove barrels and cast boolits.

(Westmoreland County)

I have had very good results with two Marlin 336 rifles with the Lyman 170 Grain cast bullet and Red-Dot powder. Heavy bullet and mid-range loads have worked very well for me. Alloy also play a major part in cast accuracy with the marlins.

(Clarion County)

Yep, What dkf said. A few examples:
    http://www.google.com/cse?cx=0019512...oove%20rifling
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

Doesn't micro-groove rifling do better with paper patched than lubed cast?

Ranch Dog molds or their clones have shot well in the micro groove barrel. With GC's you could go up to 1700 - 1900 fps with proper alloy. That would make for a decent deer round in timber.
    May your hands be warmed on a frosty day.