Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Resolution in that negligent Glock discharge over in NJ

http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news...icers_son.html

Swept under the rug, pretty much. I do love the bit about it discharging after the magazine was dropped. Riiiight.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Resolution in that negligent Glock discharge over in NJ

I hate stories like that.

(Philadelphia County)

I've said it before, always consciously sight on something safe every time before pulling the trigger. That in and of itself also leads to the little voice in the back of your head coming alive to say "is this thing really unloaded or did I just go through the motions without paying attention." If that little voice doesn't do its job, at least the muzzle will be purposefully pointed at something safe. Familiarity and routine leads to accidents.

I'm glad the guy was cleared. What he did was incredibly stupid but not criminal. I doubt he'll ever have an ND ever again. Learning the hard way is the worst way to learn, but those lessons are never forgotten.

(Westmoreland County)

From the article:

"Officer Riggs, without advising or warning the Muhlbaiers, then took his off-duty Glock handgun from a gym bag for the purpose of cleaning it," the prosecutor's office said in a news release. "After removing the weapon's ammo clip, it discharged, striking the boy."

Bold is mine.

This is always frustrating. The officer's ignorance of the Four Universal Rules aside, how does a Glock pistol discharge sans a trigger press?
    Never underestimate the value of early training.

Quote Originally Posted by TRB View Post
    From the article:

"Officer Riggs, without advising or warning the Muhlbaiers, then took his off-duty Glock handgun from a gym bag for the purpose of cleaning it," the prosecutor's office said in a news release. "After removing the weapon's ammo clip, it discharged, striking the boy."

Bold is mine.

This is always frustrating. The officer's ignorance of the Four Universal Rules aside, how does a Glock pistol discharge sans a trigger press?
    I was going to say something sarcastic about "Glock Perfection," but the x factor here is the idiot with his finger on the trigger.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by TRB View Post
    From the article:

Bold is mine.

A Deptford police officer who accidentally fired his weapon...
    The paper got it right. The prosecutor's office slanted the facts in the officer's favor. It's a shame that someone was injured due to negligence; the fact remains that this has been a bigger story than it should be because it involves cops.
    I think the founding fathers meant exactly what they wrote: the government should not make any laws restricting the RIGHT of the people to 'hold or retain in one's possession' and 'hold or carry' guns and other weapons that would allow them to keep their government in line.

Quote Originally Posted by s.vermeire View Post
    The paper got it right. The prosecutor's office slanted the facts in the officer's favor. It's a shame that someone was injured due to negligence; the fact remains that this has been a bigger story than it should be because it involves cops.
    I remain unconvinced that it played out like it would have, had the idiot not had a badge. Especially over there, where the culture is very much that they can do no wrong.

(Montgomery County)

I hadn't heard the story.. what a freaking nightmare for everyone involved. I can't imagine being any of the participants in that situation. Person who caused the injury OR the parents who experienced their child going through that situation. How awful.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by King 5.45 View Post
    I remain unconvinced that it played out like it would have, had the idiot not had a badge. Especially over there, where the culture is very much that they can do no wrong.
    Oh, I'm not saying that a citizen (non LEO) would have gotten the same legal treatment, I'm just saying the media has made this bigger than it should have been because a badge was involved. If Joe Citizen had shot his neighbors kid the same way he might have been raked of the coals, we just might not have heard about it multiple times in the news and paper.
    I think the founding fathers meant exactly what they wrote: the government should not make any laws restricting the RIGHT of the people to 'hold or retain in one's possession' and 'hold or carry' guns and other weapons that would allow them to keep their government in line.

(Montgomery County)

Unhappy Re: Resolution in that negligent Glock discharge over in NJ

I wonder what kind of damage a "service" bullet (I'm assuming a 9mm or .40) would do to a two year olds' jaw.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast