Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Simple HD light, and new M500 jams on barrel lug

Good evening.

Just recently bought a brand new Mossberg 500 with 18.5" barrel for HD. Can anyone recommend a good, fairly cheap light, that is simple, IE no dots, etc; just push one button one time and it provides light and nothing else.

Also, I understand quite well the principle of "pump it like you mean it", but with this gun you have to pump it like you're trying to break the slide off; and about every third cartridge gets jammed up against the sharp edge of the locking lug on the barrel. I'm assuming this problem will diminish with use. Any thoughts?

I realize the topic of lights has been discussed elsewhere, but the market changes every day, which is why I'm asking again. Thanks in advance for any replies I may receive.
    They even have minds but do not think. -Dov Fischer

(Butler County)

Default Re: Simple HD light, and new M500 jams on barrel lug

If you are wanting to mount a light to it, I plan on getting the Magpul foregrip and using their scout mount to use a Streamlight TLR1 on for my 590. TLR1 will run about $100, but very light and compact. Switch is either on, or momentary in the other position. Just have to wait for Magpul to release the foregrip. website says "fall 2013" so who knows when that will be.

Just remember, any weapon mounted light points the Loaded Weapon at everything the light is shined on!

One very big reason why I am not a fan of weapon mounted lights for a home defense/personal use.

Weapon mounted lights violate one of basic rules of firearm safety. Never point a gun at anything you don't intend to kill or destroy. Doing so at unknown targets, in low light conditions, is not, again, in my opinion, very "bright!"

Every year we read about a family member gunned down by another family member who thought they were a bad guy.

Turn on the to the room, house, porch etc...interior lighting is far superior for illuminating than a "tactical" light.

CL
    Last edited by customloaded; September 29th, 2013 at 03:22 PM.

sgtmcbowflex, thank you for your prompt reply. Those forend grips sure do look nice, with their clean lines and all. I would imagine it would be harder to get stuff stuck on that kind of light, than with a traditional mount.

CustomLoaded, I never really thought of it that way but your logic is 100% airtight. What I have done in the past is put an Allen buttstock shell holder on it and put an AA Maglite in one of the compartments. This worked well, I may go with this option. The reason I stopped doing that was that I was always "borrowing" the Maglite to work on my car and never putting it back

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by customloaded View Post
    Just remember, any weapon mounted light points the Loaded Weapon at everything the light is shined on!

One very big reason why I am not a fan of weapon mounted lights for a home defense/personal use.

Weapon mounted lights violate one of basic rules of firearm safety. Never point a gun at anything you don't intend to kill or destroy. Doing so at unknown targets, in low light conditions, is not, again, in my opinion, very "bright!"

Every year we read about a family member gunned down by another family member who thought they were a bad guy.

Turn on the to the room, house, porch etc...interior lighting is far superior for illuminating than a "tactical" light.

CL
    I get exactly what you're saying here however if used properly you do not have to sweep anything with the muzzle when using the rail mounted light.

Keep in mind that a shotgun will destroy a flashlight not intended to be mounted on one. If you are training during the day, REMOVE the lamp assembly to avoid breakage.
    Jules

I have pretty unreliable grid power, so I need to have a standalone light source.

I'm going to go with a handheld LED light rather than a clamp- or rail-mounted one, so that I can aim it separately from the shotgun itself.

However, with all that said, I will definitely practice flipping the light switches as I walk through the house with the shotgun. I do have pretty good electric lighting and I may as well learn to use it to my advantage during the 95% of the time it works.

Thanks for all the tips, gentlemen, and I think I'll get busy with the most fun and most important part of making an HD weapon work- patterning and trigger time!

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by customloaded View Post

CL
    Unless you have a real piece of garbage mounted on your gun, you don't need to have the muzzle in someone's face to see them in the dark. My TLR-1S lights up an entire room.

What if interior lights aren't an option? I used to live in an area that was really prone to power outages for whatever reason. Any time the power went out I just got one of my guns, turned the light on and waited for the power to come back on.