Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default ticket and fine at sgl 242 shooting range....anyone else with experience with this?

I took the family over to the sgl 242 range by York. Had never had kids out shooting and wanted to go shoot .22's. was trying to be very safe and walk each of the kids and my wife through the safety and let them shoot... one at a time. got thru my wife and two kids when two officers walked over and proceeded to tell me we were spotted shooting more than the 6 rounds out of the .22 handgun. as soon as he said it i realized it was my error because i had seen the sign but completely forgot about it. and i told him that.... at which point he tells me he is going to have to write me a ticket that will be somewhere between 100 and 200.00. i really did not argue much as i was the one at fault... he proceeded to tell us they had been writing tickets all day and that the gun range cost alot to keep up... so basically this is their revenue stream.... i am supposed to call judges office in county to find out how much the fine will be, if i plead guilty. anyone else have any experience with this and is this legit to be handing out fines for this... i go to indoor range all the time and there is no limit. he said they have the limit so people don't hog the range..... just trying to see if anyone has any info on this...Thanks

(Bucks County)

Default Re: ticket and fine at sgl 242 shooting range....anyone else with experience with thi

No expierence but know its one of their B.S rules, I can understand it for the most part, but to enforce it on a family is a little redic..

best of luck, i wouldnt plead guilty and id fight it, say you lost count its not like you unloaded a 30 round ar mag, were talknig 6 vs the 3 rule here

did they not ask to see your range permit or hunting license? I know this is a new requirement as well...seems odd as that fine is A LOT of money from my understandnig

Default Re: ticket and fine at sgl 242 shooting range....anyone else with experience with thi

Yeah, the fishcops are merciless.

There are exceptions for sixguns, but only at some designated ranges, and I assume that the fishcop ruled that out (but you should double-check anyway).

"(b) Prohibited acts. . . . "

"(6) Possess, load or discharge a firearm that contains more than three rounds of single projectile ammunition, except as provided in subsection (c)"
    . . .
    "(c) Exceptions for a handgun range. At a Commission range specifically designated as a handgun range, it is permitted for an individual to load and discharge a handgun containing a maximum of six rounds of single projectile ammunition at any one time. Other rules and regulations pertaining to shooting ranges under Commission ownership, lease or jurisdiction shall be in effect."

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=937862&mode=2

If you contest it at the DJ level, expect to lose.

Many years ago, I was shooting tin cans at a gameland range, and got cited, and they explained that it was because of "all the glass" generated by people shooting "bottles and cans". Yeah, those cans leave a lot of glass debris if you hit them just right.... But I was in the wrong, a can is not a paper target attached to the backstop, so I had to pay.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Yeah, the fishcops are merciless.

There are exceptions for sixguns, but only at some designated ranges, and I assume that the fishcop ruled that out (but you should double-check anyway).

"(b) Prohibited acts. . . . "

"(6) Possess, load or discharge a firearm that contains more than three rounds of single projectile ammunition, except as provided in subsection (c)"
    . . .
    "(c) Exceptions for a handgun range. At a Commission range specifically designated as a handgun range, it is permitted for an individual to load and discharge a handgun containing a maximum of six rounds of single projectile ammunition at any one time. Other rules and regulations pertaining to shooting ranges under Commission ownership, lease or jurisdiction shall be in effect."

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=937862&mode=2

If you contest it at the DJ level, expect to lose.

Many years ago, I was shooting tin cans at a gameland range, and got cited, and they explained that it was because of "all the glass" generated by people shooting "bottles and cans". Yeah, those cans leave a lot of glass debris if you hit them just right.... But I was in the wrong, a can is not a paper target attached to the backstop, so I had to pay.
    What!? An attorney that had to pay a fine... Get the heck outta here.

Sorry had to

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by 4thand40 View Post
    I took the family over to the sgl 242 range by York. Had never had kids out shooting and wanted to go shoot .22's. was trying to be very safe and walk each of the kids and my wife through the safety and let them shoot... one at a time. got thru my wife and two kids when two officers walked over and proceeded to tell me we were spotted shooting more than the 6 rounds out of the .22 handgun. as soon as he said it i realized it was my error because i had seen the sign but completely forgot about it. and i told him that.... at which point he tells me he is going to have to write me a ticket that will be somewhere between 100 and 200.00. i really did not argue much as i was the one at fault... he proceeded to tell us they had been writing tickets all day and that the gun range cost alot to keep up... so basically this is their revenue stream.... i am supposed to call judges office in county to find out how much the fine will be, if i plead guilty. anyone else have any experience with this and is this legit to be handing out fines for this... i go to indoor range all the time and there is no limit. he said they have the limit so people don't hog the range..... just trying to see if anyone has any info on this...Thanks
    It's not a new rule. I used to frequent a couple SGL ranges 5+ years ago (before they started requiring a hunting license or range permit to shoot there) and the maximum 6 loaded rounds per handgun (and 3 per rifle) limit was posted on the rule signs then.

I used to wait a minute or so between mag changes on the autoloaders so it wouldn't sound like I had more than six rounds loaded. Likewise if I accidentally loaded too many I'd stop after the sixth, put the gun down, maybe fuss with it a bit before continuing to avoid calling attention to my error.
    Last edited by twency; September 26th, 2013 at 05:04 PM.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

The End of Josiah's Railroad, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

Man up to it and ask for forgiveness. Say that you messed up and are willing to make amends in any way that they see fit. Worst case is that you pay the fine.

Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    What!? An attorney that had to pay a fine... Get the heck outta here.

Sorry had to
    I was not born with a JD. This happened long before I Ascended.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Beaver County)

4yrs ago I got a verbal warning from a critter cop. Told me that the fine got bigger for every round fired over the limit, and every round left in the mag was a larger chunk. Was really nice about it.
    Proud to be a Longwall pig...

(Delaware County)

Agree that man up, plead ignorance, apologize profusely is your best route.

I did this when I was confronted by an officer for firing a handgun at one of these outdoor ranges. He left after giving me a ticket and CALLED ME later that day to say that he had nullified it.

Same thing happened once when I parked on the wrong side of the road - technically blocking a "right of way" in the middle of the woods. I was polite, got a ticket, and five minutes later the Warden came back and asked for the ticket back.

I may have been lucky - in both cases, I was legitimately ignorant of the rules, but still, in violation.

(Monroe County)

Pay-up, you were guilty...no 2 ways about it...If you had just read the rules and failed to comprehend them, I for one would not want to be around such a person with a weapon. If you read them and thought you wouldn't get caught, what kind of example are you setting for the kids?
    If you have a mental lapse with a firearm.....it could change your life and the lives of others Forever.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast