Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Pike County)

Default Re: thinking of relocating to Milford area

Cheap is a relative term. PM me with what you are looking for and I will let you know if it exist's or not.

(Pike County)

BA this area is beautiful but watch where you move, school taxes can be a killer in certain areas around here. We pay about $4500/year in school taxes on a half acre (Plus another $1000 in property taxes). The development we live in is one of the best in the area but the dues are around $2k/year, for the most part the community is beautiful but it's chocked full of rules/regulations (You need a permit to cut down a tree) and the rent a cops are ticket happy. Milford is about 10 miles away, the NY state border is 25 miles away and the NJ border is a mere 10 miles down 739 from me. Milford itself is a great place to live but I hear it can be expensive.

If you're interested in learning more about the community I live in let me know and I will shoot you a PM. Good luck with the move, I am glad I live here because I am close enough to NY/NJ that I can commute to a good paying job but far enough away that I am out of their reach.
    Sanity, yours if you can keep it.....

Smile Re: thinking of relocating to Milford area

I am always on the lookout for parcels of 10 acres or more in rural N E PA. Please do not forward this info to realators as I progressively watch the Delinquent tax sale notices.This is a good idea to pursue if you want your own little piece of heaven !

(Wayne County)

DivisionTwo best place tolook would be in newspaper?

(Pike County)

Go to the Pike County Court house, they post those there. It will take a little leg work on your part, but could prove well worth it. Good luck!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInPa View Post
    BA this area is beautiful but watch where you move, school taxes can be a killer in certain areas around here. We pay about $4500/year in school taxes on a half acre (Plus another $1000 in property taxes). The development we live in is one of the best in the area but the dues are around $2k/year, for the most part the community is beautiful but it's chocked full of rules/regulations (You need a permit to cut down a tree) and the rent a cops are ticket happy. Milford is about 10 miles away, the NY state border is 25 miles away and the NJ border is a mere 10 miles down 739 from me. Milford itself is a great place to live but I hear it can be expensive.

If you're interested in learning more about the community I live in let me know and I will shoot you a PM. Good luck with the move, I am glad I live here because I am close enough to NY/NJ that I can commute to a good paying job but far enough away that I am out of their reach.

Thanks Life. Expensive is a relative term. I'm originally from NY and currently living down here in Chester county. if i was looking to move back to New York A) i couldn't find a house i could afford that wan't falling apart and B) if i did i'd be looking at easily double that in taxes on a 1/4-1/2 acre. But i think you already know that because if memory serves me your also a refugee from the empire state.

I'm not really looking to move to a community. some thing tells me i'd be strangling people if i did. I'd rather find a house on its own or in a small development with no community association. Pike county seems like the most logical location for us to move. She wants to be closer to her family (as do I) but i don't want to leave PA. There are jobs with in relatively easy commuting distance (I already drive 45 minutes). From what I've read the area is relatively low crime and sounds like a nice place to raise kids. Also there is plenty of public land on both sides of the Delaware which i like because we both hike and kayak and I hunt and fish. Its rural enough but you don't have to drive 30 minutes to go grocery shopping. It just sounds like the place to go to me.

I mean i like Chester county a lot but i don't think we'd be able to afford a house soon enough to fit in with our plans. A decent house down here in a good neighborhood is going to run you easily another 100k to 200k and quite frankly if I have to live in an apartment for much more than another year I might jump off a bridge lol.

Rhsjeep- Thanks for your offer I will definitely keep you in mind. We are getting married this coming June so after that we plan to make a few day trips up to the area to get more acquainted with it, try to figure out where exactly we'd like to move and what neighborhoods are in our price range.
    WHEN DEMOCRACY TURNS TO TYRANNY, THE ARMED CITIZEN STILL GETS TO VOTE

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by B.A. View Post
    Thanks Life. Expensive is a relative term. I'm originally from NY and currently living down here in Chester county. if i was looking to move back to New York A) i couldn't find a house i could afford that wan't falling apart and B) if i did i'd be looking at easily double that in taxes on a 1/4-1/2 acre. But i think you already know that because if memory serves me your also a refugee from the empire state.

I'm not really looking to move to a community. some thing tells me i'd be strangling people if i did. I'd rather find a house on its own or in a small development with no community association. Pike county seems like the most logical location for us to move. She wants to be closer to her family (as do I) but i don't want to leave PA. There are jobs with in relatively easy commuting distance (I already drive 45 minutes). From what I've read the area is relatively low crime and sounds like a nice place to raise kids. Also there is plenty of public land on both sides of the Delaware which i like because we both hike and kayak and I hunt and fish. Its rural enough but you don't have to drive 30 minutes to go grocery shopping. It just sounds like the place to go to me.

I mean i like Chester county a lot but i don't think we'd be able to afford a house soon enough to fit in with our plans. A decent house down here in a good neighborhood is going to run you easily another 100k to 200k and quite frankly if I have to live in an apartment for much more than another year I might jump off a bridge lol.

Rhsjeep- Thanks for your offer I will definitely keep you in mind. We are getting married this coming June so after that we plan to make a few day trips up to the area to get more acquainted with it, try to figure out where exactly we'd like to move and what neighborhoods are in our price range.
    No problem.

Yep my family comes from Brooklyn and even now we are paying less to heat, cool and power a larger home (2x the size) here than we did back in the city 7 years ago. So you are quite right about expense being relative. I only stress the school tax because we didn't do our research and we literally live just down the block from a school district that charges half the price of this one. So while $2,500 per year won't kill us we much rather have it in our pockets. If you ask the realtor they will provide you the information free of charge on the property/school tax for the property you're considering.

For what you want I feel this place is ideal. We are surrounded by state gaming lands and national parks, this area has tons of walking/biking paths (Eventually I will get a bike and explore them) and we are only about 10 minutes from a supermarket, Rite Aid, bank and a few places to eat. If we want to do more substantial shopping/dining we are about 30 minutes from Stroudsburg/East Stroudsburg (Along with Rt 611 which has a million businesses on it) and 45 minutes from Scranton/Dickson City which has even more options. If you don't mind driving to get everywhere (I don't) everything you could want is a reasonable distance.

Home prices aren't too bad, I have seen 2 bedroom homes in good shape go for as little as $120k. Personally if things work out for me I might be moving out and getting my own place in the next 5 years. I really want to get a 5 acre lot in the area, build a modest sized home and make my own 100 yard shooting range. My dream is to walk out on my deck and shoot my AR/AK without anyone caring or noticing. I am hoping my dreams can be met on a $150k budget. I have seen 5 acre lots in Pike go for below $30k, I believe a nice home could be constructed for $120k or less. Here is an example of what I have seen: http://www.landwatch.com/Pike-County.../pid/281239600

If you stay away from communities you can get land cheap here, consider also looking for land not too far from Hawley. It's a very quaint and beautiful town. Anyway good look on your search.

(Chester County)

No problem.

Yep my family comes from Brooklyn and even now we are paying less to heat, cool and power a larger home (2x the size) here than we did back in the city 7 years ago. So you are quite right about expense being relative. I only stress the school tax because we didn't do our research and we literally live just down the block from a school district that charges half the price of this one. So while $2,500 per year won't kill us we much rather have it in our pockets. If you ask the realtor they will provide you the information free of charge on the property/school tax for the property you're considering.

For what you want I feel this place is ideal. We are surrounded by state gaming lands and national parks, this area has tons of walking/biking paths (Eventually I will get a bike and explore them) and we are only about 10 minutes from a supermarket, Rite Aid, bank and a few places to eat. If we want to do more substantial shopping/dining we are about 30 minutes from Stroudsburg/East Stroudsburg (Along with Rt 611 which has a million businesses on it) and 45 minutes from Scranton/Dickson City which has even more options. If you don't mind driving to get everywhere (I don't) everything you could want is a reasonable distance.

Home prices aren't too bad, I have seen 2 bedroom homes in good shape go for as little as $120k. Personally if things work out for me I might be moving out and getting my own place in the next 5 years. I really want to get a 5 acre lot in the area, build a modest sized home and make my own 100 yard shooting range. My dream is to walk out on my deck and shoot my AR/AK without anyone caring or noticing. I am hoping my dreams can be met on a $150k budget. I have seen 5 acre lots in Pike go for below $30k, I believe a nice home could be constructed for $120k or less. Here is an example of what I have seen: http://www.landwatch.com/Pike-County.../pid/281239600

If you stay away from communities you can get land cheap here, consider also looking for land not too far from Hawley. It's a very quaint and beautiful town. Anyway good look on your search.
    Totally hear you on the school tax. Something to keep in mind for sure. Hawley is on the list, we drove through there not to long ago and it seemed nice. I wish we could do a lot and build but from what I've been told it's usually difficult for first time home buyers to get a loan to do that. A 5 acre lot would be awesome though.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by B.A. View Post
    Totally hear you on the school tax. Something to keep in mind for sure. Hawley is on the list, we drove through there not to long ago and it seemed nice. I wish we could do a lot and build but from what I've been told it's usually difficult for first time home buyers to get a loan to do that. A 5 acre lot would be awesome though.
    Yeah, I would hope if you had good credit and some money down they would give you a loan but I had issues getting a car loan on my first car even though I had good credit and half the cars value in cash. People keep telling me to use a credit union next time around but I don't know if they hand out that kind of money, it might be worth checking out though.

If you get back to Hawley someday stop into Fluff's Deli, it's on the main road going through town so it's hard to miss. They make amazing hoagies, stuff them with nearly a pound of meat and they cost only around $5-$8. It's worth the trip.

(Chester County)

Yeah, I would hope if you had good credit and some money down they would give you a loan but I had issues getting a car loan on my first car even though I had good credit and half the cars value in cash. People keep telling me to use a credit union next time around but I don't know if they hand out that kind of money, it might be worth checking out though.

If you get back to Hawley someday stop into Fluff's Deli, it's on the main road going through town so it's hard to miss. They make amazing hoagies, stuff them with nearly a pound of meat and they cost only around $5-$8. It's worth the trip.
    "Hoagies". You've been living in PA to long hahaha. Will do been a long time since I had a good "hero"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast