Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Choosing a Benchrest - Which one?

I'm looking to sight-in my 300 Blackout and would like to get a benchrest for the task. Can anyone reccommend a quality benchrest?

Price really doesn't matter too much, I just want to be sure that whatever benchrest I end up getting will last me a long time.

Thank you!

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Choosing a Benchrest - Which one?

Sinclair International has several models to choose from. Rob't Hart & Sons of Nescopec has a good quality front rest. Also you might want to check out Grizzly Industrial Inc. who recently bought out the Bald Eagle line of front rests which were once made in Lock Haven. For quality rear bags call Protektor Model Company in Galeton....they will sell direct and have a huge product line.
    IMHO I would stay far far away from any Caldwell product, especially the Lead sled since you premised the question with "lasting a long time." All those referenced have web sites.
    For a good used rest ( and anything accuracy related) you might check Bob Whites Shooters Corner located in Hopatcong, NJ. He has a huge inventory at a fair price and knows accuracy....he is past president of the Intl. Benchrest Shooters Ass'n.

(York County)

You didn't mention if you're looking for a one-piece benchrest or the traditional rest-and-bag combo. For the former, I recommend the following:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/826...-shooting-rest

This is what I have. Apparently the Steady Point isn't made anymore, but you can find them on ebay, etc. I use mine for general sighting in, so maybe it's not the quality you are looking for for true BR shooting. It does move a bit under centerfire loads so you have to reposition it every time, but for my purposes it suits me fine.

Another choice is this one:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/149...-shooting-rest

I have never actually used this, but I saw one at the range and it appeared to be well-built. But the previous poster doesn't like Caldwell apparently, so maybe he knows something I don't (or maybe not.)

Both of these have adjustable windage and elevation.

(Northampton County)

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/726...-shooting-rest

I use one similar to this one. Ive had it for a few years and it hasnt let me down. I use it every fall to zero a half dozen or so rifles for hunting season. And on occasion I've used it on my .308 to see how small of a group I could actually get out of it (.27").
    You may find me dead in a ditch one day. But by God, I'll be lying in a pile of brass.

(Monroe County)

The problem with one piece rests that restrain recoil, ala, the Caldwell Lead Sled, is that the POI (point of impact) will change after you sight your rifle in on one, then attempt to try shooting off-hand, from a bi-pod, or a sandbag. The bullet is still in the barrel as the rifle begins recoil, and the Lead Sled will cause the muzzle to rise (in a Lead Sled it has no where to go but up, while shooting in more traditional methods, the recoil comes back into your shoulder until the muzzle starts to rise which by that time the bullet has left the muzzle. Depending on cartridge, the difference in POI can be inches. They have also been reported to cause damage, i.e. cracked stocks and internal scope problems. Caldwell makes a benchrest front rest which is OK, except it comes with cheaply built bags.....nothing approaching Protektor quality. The Caldwell products come from China, and needless to say the quality of their machine work is seriously lacking. We are fortunate to live in the state from where the sport of Benchrest shooting evolved and are blessed with many BR equipment manufacturers in the state with products still made here.
    Last edited by flyshooter; September 27th, 2013 at 11:52 PM.

(York County)

That is a good point flyshooter, but I don't shoot benchrest. For me, the one-piece rest is adequate, but for a serious BR shooter, you may have a point. You are correct though in that whenever I see BR shooters practicing or sighting in, they have been using a front rest and a bag.

(Monroe County)

Actually, to achieve top accuracy, it is hard to improve upon the old fashioned shot bags filled with sand, one under the fore-end, and one under the butt stock. Competition rests are more complex due to the need to get shots off quickly while the conditions remain the same or at least similar. Using various thicknesses of wood blocks will help to get the right elevation. Brownells sells such bags through their website.