Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Which AR?

(Susquehanna County)

Default Which AR?

I am very new to AR rifles, but I will be in the market for one hopefully in a few weeks. What is a good one? There are so many out there, Im not sure where to start. My budget is approximately $1,000.

I was thinking about getting the S&W 300 Whisper, but Im not sure if I will be able to get ammo.

The gun will be for vehicle and home defense as well as target practice and a little hunting.

Any suggestions?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Which AR?

"""""COLT"""""

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by bdriller View Post
    """""COLT"""""
    This will be the popular answer. However, if you do not have an AR, that probably means you don't have any ammo for it (I could be wrong if you have a rifle in the .223/5.56 caliber already). Which means spending over your budget on a Colt would mean you have no ammo and mags to shoot it.

Keep your eye on PSA's website. If you were to buy tonight, you could get everything you needed minus the stripped lower for $599. Another $140 at most (any a friend to help assemble) and you are set to go minus mags and ammo.

Just my opinion.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by ViperHummel View Post
    This will be the popular answer. However, if you do not have an AR, that probably means you don't have any ammo for it (I could be wrong if you have a rifle in the .223/5.56 caliber already). Which means spending over your budget on a Colt would mean you have no ammo and mags to shoot it.

Keep your eye on PSA's website. If you were to buy tonight, you could get everything you needed minus the stripped lower for $599. Another $140 at most (any a friend to help assemble) and you are set to go minus mags and ammo.

Just my opinion.
    Thanx for the info. Im brand new to this, so this is the 1st Ive heard of the PSA's website. Ill see if I can check it out tonight.

(Susquehanna County)

What is that PSA's website? Is it on Pafoa website?

Sorry to show off my ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbs4421 View Post
    What is that PSA's website? Is it on Pafoa website?

Sorry to show off my ignorance.
    Palmetto State Armory, I believe.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/

(York County)

Its www.palmettostatearmory.com . They always have good deals on stuff especially stuff they consider blemished.

(Northampton County)

Lots of options for your budget.
    I'm sure you are aware you can't hunt in PA with one though.
    Most other states you can though.

FEMA Region III - State College, Pennsylvania
    (Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbs4421 View Post
    The gun will be for vehicle and home defense as well as target practice and a little hunting.
    +1 on PSA.

When you said "for vehicle", did you mean to keep it in your vehicle unloaded as a truck/trunk gun, or did you mean to using it for self-defense as a carry piece while driving? In the latter case you would need the AR in a pistol configuration (or a SBR, but that's a WHOLE other story entirely), as PA laws prohibit transportation of loaded long arms in vehicles.

PA laws also prohibit hunting with semi-auto rifles. So any hunting done with it would have to happen in another state (that allows semi-auto rifles for hunting). HTH

(Lancaster County)

PA's laws for the moment have that embarrassing little impediment to hunting here. Meet with your state legislators in person and let them know that you want that fixed.

As far as personal defense, if you reload your own ammo then availability of .300 Whisper/Blackout isn't an issue and it might be preferable as it hits with a bigger bullet thus a little harder at defensive distances. If you don't, then go with 5.56/.223 because looking for anything else on the shelf is going to be annoying.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast