Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default My wife is annoyed that I dont drink when I carry...

My wife likes to go out and have a drink or two with dinner when I take her out (once or twice a week) and I never drink when I carry. Well we used to go to dinner in NJ often where I cannot carry, but we no longer go there, so I carry all the time, that means she has to drink alone when we eat dinner out, which she absolutely hates. She personally thinks its silly for me not to have a drink just because I am carrying a gun, but I just think it is irrisponsible on my part, not to mention many states have strict laws about that.

I have two options:
    1. piss her off and carry anyway (my preferance)
    2. not to carry to dinner once a week and have a drink or two with her

I cannot stand the feeling of not being armed and I would never forgive myself if I couldnt do anything because I didnt have my gun. I have offered to have a drink or two at home after we get back that that just doesnt work.

Has anyone faced this same battle? Any suggestions?
    -JL-

"There are many important issues, but the gun-hating psychos who would flush the Bill of Rights down the toilet have changed that for me. I would vote for a puppy-killing, football hating, incestuous Martian if I thought he would preserve and protect the Constitution from all enemies, both foreign and domestic." - obxned
    "Don't confuse my kindness with weakness"

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: My wife is annoyed that I dont drink when I carry...

Quote Originally Posted by JLStorm View Post
    Any suggestions?
    I can go to dinner and have a beer or two or a glass of wine or two and maintain control of my faculties but one or two IS the limit. The act of eating the meal will dilute the effect of a couple of drinks.

I don't go out drinking and carrying (I don't drink) but having one or at most two drinks is not acting irresponsible IMO.

(Philadelphia County)

The issue here isn't whether you can have one or two or ten drinks when you are carrying. It's that your wife is not respecting your decision to be (what you see as) a responsible gun owner. If she doesn't want to drink alone she could always forego drinks as well.

Personally, nowadays I have no problem having a beer with dinner while carrying. But when I first got my permit I strictly didn't at all and everyone I knew respected my decisions to both carry, and to not drink as a result.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Allegheny County)

I must agree with TonyF here.

I will carry and have a beer or glass of wine or two with dinner and I don't have a problem with that.

On the (increasingly rare) occasion that I'll be partying or just drinking at the bar with some buds...

I forfeit my 2nd Amendment rights.
    NRA Member
    GOA Life Member
    Moderator on www.m4carbine.net

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by danp View Post
    The issue here isn't whether you can have one or two or ten drinks when you are carrying. It's that your wife is not respecting your decision to be (what you see as) a responsible gun owner. If she doesn't want to drink alone she could always forego drinks as well.

Personally, nowadays I have no problem having a beer with dinner while carrying. But when I first got my permit I strictly didn't at all and everyone I knew respected my decisions to both carry, and to not drink as a result.
    I have been carrying for a while, and I have carried for work in clubs where I was always around alcohol and had to fake drinking. It just feels wrong for me to drink even one drink and carry, and I dont know that I could really change my ways at this point.
    -JL-

"There are many important issues, but the gun-hating psychos who would flush the Bill of Rights down the toilet have changed that for me. I would vote for a puppy-killing, football hating, incestuous Martian if I thought he would preserve and protect the Constitution from all enemies, both foreign and domestic." - obxned
    "Don't confuse my kindness with weakness"

(Northumberland County)

My wife was at one time annoyed that I was carrying when we went out...

She slowly broke down over time and became more comfortable with me having the gun.

Right now, I still have some friends who are a bit annoyed that I won't drink when we're out, but they'll get over it too.

(Philadelphia County)

aaahhhhh...

women....

the only creature able to be selfish and make you feel bad about it.

How about trying non-alcoholic drinks???
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

dani Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post
    aaahhhhh...

women....

the only creature able to be selfish and make you feel bad about it.

How about trying non-alcoholic drinks???
    you better watch yourself with those comments, not all women are that evil

(Perry County)

My question to her would be why she finds it necessary that you drink when you go out to dinner. As far as alcohol affecting your ability to safely carry a firearm...many things affect your alcohol absorbtion including your physical build, metabolism, drinking habits, whether you have eaten anything all day and your self control when drinking.

Only you know yourself well enough to say whether you can have a drink or two while dining out and still safely carry your firearm. Kudos to you for giving it the forethought.

Dave G.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by JLStorm View Post
    I have been carrying for a while, and I have carried for work in clubs where I was always around alcohol and had to fake drinking. It just feels wrong for me to drink even one drink and carry, and I dont know that I could really change my ways at this point.
    You sound like you are stuck in some korny movie......

Carrying is the same as driving. There's a limit....

I'll be heading to the bar tonight or tomorrow for 20 cent wings. I will have a beer over the span of an hour - hour and a half then i'll have a water. I get shit from friends everytime, but I don't really care. When I wasn't 21 and therefore didn't carry I still would never go there to get drunk so therefore there's no real reason to drink much (yes I know what i wrote). Less beer = more wings. Now if I'm going out with friends to the bars downtown or a party, gun stays home.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast