Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Someone reloading 9mm for you?

I shoot a lot. 9mm mostly. I just do not have the time or patience to begin reloading. Combine that with the fact that I have a nice cache of factory ammo.

I would, however, like the benefit of shooting some lesser recoil 9mm in my competition gun. Someone I shoot with had made the suggestion that I find someone who reloads and buy some custom loads from them. The idea seems very good.........but it also scares me a bit.

Anyone happen to have someone else reload pistol ammo for them?

Is this a horrible idea?

Default Re: Someone reloading 9mm for you?

Due to liability issues these days, I would never reload for another person. I have told my friends that I will let them use my equipment and teach them if they wish to shoot reloads. Thus far I have one that just worked up his first loads of .460 S&W Magnum.
    Rick - NRA Endowment Member
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation

Somewhere around Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
    (Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnUSCG View Post
    I would, however, like the benefit of shooting some lesser recoil 9mm in my competition gun.
    Not that this is what you're asking, but what competition shooting are you doing, and is there a power factor minimum you need to hit?

(Cumberland County)

It is my understanding that you need some type/variation of FFL to sell reloaded ammo. I do not sell reloads but have giving some to friends when out shooting.

(Montgomery County)

I know a shop that will re-assemble your supplied brass.
    They will use your choice of lead and load to factory/commercial power factors based on that bullet. I doubt they would make a sub-standard load. I think that would be a big liability issue.

Also, I think turn-around time can be pretty long due to demand and occasional component shortages.

Buy yourself a progressive loader and you can make very low cost rounds of an power factor you want. I make some super light loads (enough to cycle the slide) that I keep for when I take my kids to the range. As they get bigger and more experienced, they can move up to fuller power.

Depending on how much you pay for commercial rounds, your savings will pay off the cost of the machine in 1500-2000 rounds.

Save the commercial rounds.
    Those boxes of Federal 9mm become quite valuable during times of panic.

(Northumberland County)

You need to have an FFL to sell reloads. Also, most people would advise you to not buy ANYONE'S reloads.. I believe the saying is "if you didn't reload it, don't shoot it."
    Arm The Homeless

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Overscore View Post
    Not that this is what you're asking, but what competition shooting are you doing, and is there a power factor minimum you need to hit?
    Steel Challenge shooting. No power factor to reach.

Just looking for something for reduced recoil. Nothing too light.

(Lancaster County)

This place will reload your brass for you. I dont know what the options are for loads

http://kingshooters.com/
    "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.-Thomas Jefferson

(Schuylkill County)

You'll let a buddy work on your car's brakes/engine but not shoot their reloads? Yeah... I hear this all the time.

Me, if I know the person I'll shoot whatever they give me. Your gun blows up just as bad as with factory ammo as reloads.

Isn't there a new thread about damaged factory ammo???

Cool Re: Someone reloading 9mm for you?

I reload 9mm with my Dillon 550 and have recently run thru some difficulties with cases which are just too big to resize effectively. IMHO Some "9mm" guns apparently have huge chambers, so that a lot of the 9mm
    "pickups" you find at ranges are nearly blown to 10mm at the bases, right above the extractor groove. These often end up 'bulged' at the base following resizing, and will flippin JAM in yer gun and that is with a live round! Remember..the 9mm is a tapered case..being ABOUT 9.55mm at the case mouth................

My solution is to measure all my 9mm fired cases..ALL w my Dillon electric calipers(for speed). Any fired cases which are 9.88mm OR less, at the base, are resized easily down to 9.82mm or less...which is the average diameter for 6 brands of factory cases I had around. Any cases bigger around than 9.88mm are put into a "toss bin" to be saved up until I get 1000 and then I will send them in to a commercial reloading company which FULL LENGTH resizes 9mms. There are several out there. Hurricane Ammo comes to mind. They advertise that they use a 'pull-thru' resizing process to full-length size all cases.

Using this policy I have recently been able to load several 100s of rounds of 9mm ball cheaply and safely..with great looking and slick feeding ammo. I use 115 gr FMJ bullets which I buy in bulk at gun shows. I use Unique powder and go by the loads in my RCBS manuals to get about ~~1050 fps for the 115 grainers. CCI small pistol primers.

Be careful...some 9mm cases have tight primer pockets, so that you may need to slightly ream out the pocket mouth just a bit, so that the new primers slide in easier and don't get "squashed". I use a RCBS case de-burring tool to ream out the little pocket openings a bit, but you can buy a 'swadger' thing some places which apparently does the same thing by pushing a kind of little rod into the hole. G'luck!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast