Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Somerset County)

Post Question About Hi-Point Firearms

Can anyone tell me if High-Point firearms are a good investment or not?
    Also I am wanting personal experience with High-Point Firearms.

Default Re: Question About Hi-Point Firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Security1986 View Post
    That question is right up there with oc vs cc and what caliber is best in debatability and sometimes hostility.

I have a. .45. It shoots well and accurate but is not a gun I would carry. I took it to the range range twice when I first got it. It's sat in the safe for the last 9 months though.

Here are a couple of threads you might want to check out.

http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/16...-hi-point.html

http://forum.pafoa.org/lounge-108/20...snob-am-i.html

http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/22...-neighbor.html

(Monroe County)

I only have experience with the Carbine, 995TS. It is a fun rifle to shoot, especially since it is 9mm. I have owned it for 4 years. I only have about 1500 rounds through it. Barely broken in. I have not had a feed or eject issue, at all. I like the fact of a lifetime warranty. If it breaks, send it back. They will fix the problem, and anything else they find wrong, clean it and send it back - most times with an additional magazine for your inconvenience. Mine has not had a need to go back.

If you mean investment, as in gaining in value - No. Prices have risen, but ALL prices have gone up. This is a firearm that is inexpensive, and can take a beating. I have not regretted buying this firearm. YMMV.
    ======Vrez

(Westmoreland County)

I have never owned one, I have looked at them they are ugly heavy and just don’t feel good in your hand. That said For $150.00 new made in America with a life time guarantee you can’t beat them if you can get past all of the above, Go out to you tube there is a video with three guys trying to blow one up. I don’t think many guns costing much more could have taken the abuse that Hi-point did. As for an investment the Hi-point will never be a collectable, They do have a strong following. Not that I believe they get their asking price but I do see them for sale on the forums for $175.00 to $200.00 for a gun they paid $150.00 for.

(Northumberland County)

Another Hi-Point thread!! Haha to put it shortly: yes they're a good investment. $120 bucks or so for a 9mm pistol that goes bang every time is worth it. I own several carbines and I love them.
    Arm The Homeless

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Security1986 View Post
    I have the 9mm version. It is fairly accurate, trigger is ok. As for balance, it is quite top-heavy.
    A good investment? You won't lose any money on one, that's for sure. They're not increasing in value and certainly aren't rare. I leavy mine either in the car or a quick access spot hidden in the house somewhere, loaded condition 1.

(Allegheny County)

They work, but "investment"? I would say not.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Lebanon County)

I have the carbine and the pistol in 9mm. Both have been reliable. The carbine is fun to shoot. The pistol would make a good "truck gun" or maybe stash a few around the house since they are affordable. I do not see them ever being collectible though. The life time transferable warranty is nice as is the fact of made in the USA.

(Allegheny County)

Used ones are not hard to find, sub $100 price tag. But there are much better firearms at the $300 mark, brand new, if you can swing a few bucks more.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

Investment? You have to spend some money for that. Buying a HP isn't an investment...it's a purchase. Fortunately, you can get most of your few dollars back if you decide to resell it.

It is a pistol you need to shoot, whichever caliber you're thinking of, just to see if the grip you use will work with this pistol. The most irritating thing about them is the fact that the slide covers the whole top of the frame meaning your weak hand thumb has to 'float' instead of being pressed against the frame to counter the squeezing of the trigger. It allows for more muzzle movement when squeezing the trigger unless you are slow firing the thing. Some people don't mind this, but using it as a speed shooting gun of any kind and expecting any great accuracy is an illusion unless you have mastered the kind of grip you need to shoot one, which ironically is pretty much on par with a revolver. And with that, there is even less room for your weak hand thumb with the HP than there is with a revolver. I speed shoot a .44 mag using specials from time to time and it has enough room on the frame under the cylinder to put my weak hand thumb. This just isn't so with the HP. Big neg in my book.

Another thing I find that isn't as bad as the above is the slide mass wants to keep going when it bottoms, so it creates unnecessary muzzle flip. You have to use a tighter wrist to keep that from happening. It's not a great amount, but when you compare it to a quasi speed shooting pistol such as a G17, P30, or a 24/7, you notice a difference. It just lacks the control of the other, more popular (and yes, more expensive) polymers. If a floating thumb (unless you use a revolver or beginner's grip) and a heavy slide doesn't bother you and $200 is all you can muster, then it's always better than a base ball bat. This is strictly my opinion based on my experience with them. YMMV
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast