Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Halloween and readiness state

Halloween is here and with that comes haunted attractions. At work we are discussing going as a group to a lot of them and I had a question in regards to mental state.

With Cooper's readiness levels where should you be while in a haunted attraction?

White is off the table altogether. Yellow is how a lot of us should be going through the world everyday. But with haunted attractions trying to get a scare out of us I would think that orange would be appropriate although it is being induced for our enjoyment.

So here is the real question. Can we have fun in a haunted house? Do we have to let our guard down to do so? Or do we make it a game of being aware and prepared for the next scare? Is there ever a point in life it is safe to go to white to allow our selves to enjoy something like this?

(Chester County)

Default Re: Halloween and readiness state

My readiness in a haunted attraction is probably a bit higher than normal due to people jumping out at me, but I know that is just a pretend scenario, so in reality I would just try to keep my normal situational awareness.

My bigger concern on Halloween is willingly opening your front door to potential intruders. Yes, I know it sounds paranoid, but I can see a scenario where someone pretends to be a trick or treater in costume, identity concealed, forcing themselves into your home. I wouldn't go so far as having a hand on my gun, but I do wear mine concealed as usual.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot321 View Post
    My readiness in a haunted attraction is probably a bit higher than normal due to people jumping out at me, but I know that is just a pretend scenario, so in reality I would just try to keep my normal situational awareness.

My bigger concern on Halloween is willingly opening your front door to potential intruders. Yes, I know it sounds paranoid, but I can see a scenario where someone pretends to be a trick or treater in costume, identity concealed, forcing themselves into your home. I wouldn't go so far as having a hand on my gun, but I do wear mine concealed as usual.
    Thats why i sit outside and greet the tricker treaters and not let them come up my driveway or be able to sneak around unwilling or be near my vehicles. Not that i think they a little 10 yaer old would key my car, but in their costumes things happen people trip and fall and dont see very well and i work to hard for my things to be screwed up by other people's accidents.

As far as haunted attractions, I go and I enjoy but dont let my guard down.

(Lancaster County)

I'm pondering handing out pocket size copies of the Constitution for Halloween in addition to candy. Anyone else?
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Northampton County)

You are going to have to let your guard down a bit. Your expectation is to be nearly assaulted or killed but it is an act. Going to have to put it in God's hands and figure you probably won't be the first person put through the chipper if something kooky happens. Safety in numbers favors the prepared.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pounder View Post
    Halloween is here and with that comes haunted attractions. At work we are discussing going as a group to a lot of them and I had a question in regards to mental state.

With Cooper's readiness levels where should you be while in a haunted attraction?

White is off the table altogether. Yellow is how a lot of us should be going through the world everyday. But with haunted attractions trying to get a scare out of us I would think that orange would be appropriate although it is being induced for our enjoyment.

So here is the real question. Can we have fun in a haunted house? Do we have to let our guard down to do so? Or do we make it a game of being aware and prepared for the next scare? Is there ever a point in life it is safe to go to white to allow our selves to enjoy something like this?
    Pounder, here is the real question. If there is any supporters of MAIG present, the attraction would not only be haunted but infected. Open carry and the zealots will consider you the haunted attraction, and their condition will go from frenzy to nausea. In that case, the condition that one carries in will be irrelevant.

Don't be offended pounder, you have a point, but I cannot avoid comedy relief.

Quote Originally Posted by c45man View Post
    Pounder, here is the real question. If there is any supporters of MAIG present, the attraction would not only be haunted but infected. Open carry and the zealots will consider you the haunted attraction, and their condition will go from frenzy to nausea. In that case, the condition that one carries in will be irrelevant.

Don't be offended pounder, you have a point, but I cannot avoid comedy relief.
    I am so butthurt I think I am going to go open carry an AK dressed like a Muj fighter at Starbucks. Wish me luck.

No offense taken. The real haunted house would be city hall of course.

Also I don't always carry firearms but when I do I make sure they are illegal.

I consider the mental side of preparedness the most important side. I really figured this thread would have more responses.