Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Question Front Sight Firearms Training Institute ???

I have been thinking about making the investment and joining Front Sight.
    I was looking to see if anyone here has ever been to their training facilities in Nevada and what they thought about the experience?
    THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE to keep and bear arms shall NOT be infringed.

Default Re: Front Sight Firearms Training Institute ???

Do your due diligence before you give them any money.
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Monroe County)

Yeah - that's what I'm trying to do. I can do all sorts of Internet searches but was looking for someone who may have actually been there.
    For example: http://www.yelp.com/biz/front-sight-...tute-pahrump-2 gives them good marks.
    I've been getting emails from them for years, along with a few phone calls. Always sounds good, sometimes too good. I'm not getting any younger and decided I might as well do it soon before it gets to the point where I can't do it and regret never even checking into it.
    I was even thinking of taking my kids there for some training as an early Christmas present.
    THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE to keep and bear arms shall NOT be infringed.

(Delaware County)

I get the emails too. Facility looks great but.............it's in Nevada. How often are you going to use it? I know he tried to branch out and provide local training. I received an email on it some time ago. I haven't heard much else about it. My guess is, it didn't go over too well.

(Allegheny County)

I have heard lots of stuff that would deter me from going and a friend spent a week there and was able to confirm much of the negatives read online. The guy that runs it is enough to make ya want to avoid him.

What are you expecting to get out of Front Sight that does not appear to be closer?
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Tioga County)

From all appearances it looks like a Vegas like glitter and lights extravaganza. The owner says he has never been military, law enforcement or any other similar situation yet describes himself as "Four Weapons Combat Master". Unless paper and steel targets have suddenly become animated Al Qaeda demons shooting at you with AK's, I find this to be a dramatic and exaggerated way of describing yourself.

If you are an awesome competition shooter and have skills and can teach, cool, but don't misrepresent yourself as a "combat master".

I can't imagine what the point of the memberships are. If you want to take a course, just take the course and pay for it.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    The owner says he has never been military, law enforcement or any other similar situation yet describes himself as "Four Weapons Combat Master". Unless paper and steel targets have suddenly become animated Al Qaeda demons shooting at you with AK's, I find this to be a dramatic and exaggerated way of describing yourself.

If you are an awesome competition shooter and have skills and can teach, cool, but don't misrepresent yourself as a "combat master".
    Never been there.

I can't speak to the "vegas glitz" thing or the membership issue but the four weapon combat master was an early Gunsite moniker indicating the student has achieved an extremely high level of proficiency on all four platforms (Handgun, Carbine, Shotgun and Subgun) but I can't recall the standards.

The owner is a disciple of Cooper and AFAIK, the MT is still taught at front sight. I don't believe Piazza does much instructing these days but from all accounts, his staff is competent and professional.

There are too many ethical and pseudo-religious allegations regarding Front Site and its owner for me to consider even visiting the place...

-- Chuck

It looks fun. I would look at it like going to Disney for guns. I wouldn't expect awesome training. I met a guy at the rt 6 range that went to Front Site. He couldn't understand why he couldn't shoot as fast an accurate as he did at Front Site. I explained we were shooting 25 yrds, not 5 yrds. He was amazed how well I shot and asked me where I got my training. I told him right here by myself. If you are going for fun it would be ok. If you want great training I would look closer to home and spend a lot less money.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    Never been there.

I can't speak to the "vegas glitz" thing or the membership issue but the four weapon combat master was an early Gunsite moniker indicating the student has achieved an extremely high level of proficiency on all four platforms (Handgun, Carbine, Shotgun and Subgun) but I can't recall the standards.

The owner is a disciple of Cooper and AFAIK, the MT is still taught at front sight. I don't believe Piazza does much instructing these days but from all accounts, his staff is competent and professional.
    I wouldn't doubt there are some competent people there doing the training.

I guess what I would say when it comes to training is that it's not a bad idea to get a variety of training from different people, different organizations and just consider it tools for the toolbag.

It's like martial arts, outdoorsman's skills, gun fighting skills, driving skills, whatever it might be and you have all these self labeled people out there with something like the 7 Dragon Battle Combat Method or whatever they come up with, which is fine. But people shouldn't get too caught up in it in a cultish like way.

It just seems this guy pushes the stuff like a timeshare seller or something. Seems a bit of a hard sell type deal with the memberships and all that. I prefer my people to be a bit more low key, but whatever works.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast