Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What bolt gun for your $1000

OK. so I've decided to buy a new bolt gun in .270 win. I want to keep my budget to $1000 or less including the scope and mounts. I have a 2x7x33 Redfield on my Marlin336 that I've been thinking of replacing with a peep sight so I can use that but I was thinking more like a 3x9x40. I looked at a new Winchester 70 featherweight but it's about $800+tax, I've been considering a Savage 111 possibly a package gun but not sure about them just yet. I like the 116 they are about $750 +tax w/accustock and trigger.

What rifle do you guys recommend, not just of the two I mentioned but if there is another option please feel free to offer your opinions.
    I like the model 70 cause the bolt is smooth as a baby's backside and the barrel is free floated. I'm questioning it cause of the price I think it may be overpriced a bit...

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: What bolt gun for your $1000

I'm assuming you are buying this to hunt with since a featherweight isn't great for anything else. I'm no bolt gun expert, but I'd lean towards an average rifle and a nice scope rather than an expensive rifle and a cheap scope. However, I am a Nikon fan, and they make some decent, affordable scopes.
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

I picked up a Weatherby Mark V last year for $900. The trigger is awesome, smoothest bolt I've ever felt and the bolt rotation to open is 54 degrees instead of 90 on most rifles so it's pretty quick. Mine is a 300 win mag and I'm getting under 1in groups at 100 yrds with cheap Federal blue box ammo. I know the new Vanguard guarantees under 1 moa at 100 yrds.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

I had a Vanguard series 1 and it shot great but I had to put a Bell and Carlson stock on it to get it to shoot great. I had a Nikon Monarch 4x12 on it also but it became a bit heavy for hunting.

Yes it's going to be for hunting and I would prefer to keep the barrel at 22".

I don't mind going over budget but I want to see what my options would be under a grand for a decent package. I don't need to shoot the light off a moving airplane but I do like my bolt guns to shoot very well so accuracy is important. I would like a rifle I can buy and just shoot instead of trying to accurize it for the next $600, that's why I'm leaning towards the model 70. On the flip side something like the Savage is $600 gun and scope and just shoot it. Maybe I'm just thinking out loud too...

(Schuylkill County)

Remington 700 CDL, Remington 700's are good enough for our police and military. Nikon 3x9x40 medium height rings.

(Bucks County)

CZ 550. Best bang for the buck as far as I am concerned. Great single set trigger is better then any other factory trigger out there; bar none. Fit, finish, and accuracy are tops. Put on what ever glass you like to keep within your budget.

Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    NRA 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Colt Collectors Association
    Browning Collectors Association
    Sharps Arms Collectors Association
    SASS Association

SANS PEUR et SANS REPROACHE

(Montgomery County)

I can't compare it to any of the aforementioned units, but I picked up a Remington 700 SPS in .308 with a Millett 4-16x50 on it and really like it.

I don't know about the durability of the Millett as I don't beat the crap out of it, but as far as every other aspect I like it much better than my Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 which hovers around the same price.

(Somerset County)

Tikka T3 SS/syn Lite with a Bushnell Elite 3-9X40 scope.

Dale

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by *Klutch* View Post
    I looked at a new Winchester 70 featherweight but it's about $800+tax,

I like the model 70 cause the bolt is smooth as a baby's backside and the barrel is free floated. I'm questioning it cause of the price I think it may be overpriced a bit...
    The Model 70 would be my first choice.

I have two of the new FN made FW rifles, one in .308 and one in 7x57 Mauser.

The .270 in a FW classic is an excellent rifle / cartridge combo.

(Cumberland County)

remington 700.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast