Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hokkmike Guest

Default Re: What bolt gun for your $1000

Quote Originally Posted by *Klutch* View Post
    OK. so I've decided to buy a new bolt gun in .270 win. I want to keep my budget to $1000 or less including the scope and mounts. I have a 2x7x33 Redfield on my Marlin336 that I've been thinking of replacing with a peep sight so I can use that but I was thinking more like a 3x9x40. I looked at a new Winchester 70 featherweight but it's about $800+tax, I've been considering a Savage 111 possibly a package gun but not sure about them just yet. I like the 116 they are about $750 +tax w/accustock and trigger.

What rifle do you guys recommend, not just of the two I mentioned but if there is another option please feel free to offer your opinions.
    I like the model 70 cause the bolt is smooth as a baby's backside and the barrel is free floated. I'm questioning it cause of the price I think it may be overpriced a bit...
    SAKO... I have hunted with these all my life. None better (over the counter stock rifles) in my opinion.

I will tell you that the most accurate bolt action rifle I have ever owned was a Winchester Model 70 Sporter.

I can also highly endorse Winchester Model 70.

(Fayette County)

Crazy as it may sound, Springfield 30/40 Krag, if you can find one not worn out. Slickest bolt on a military rifle, maybe any rifle. Had an old 1896 carbine, shot one inch groups at 100 yards off of sticks. It didn't look like much, it just shot where you pointed it.

(Montgomery County)

Check out the Ruger American rifles, they are light, inexpensive and pretty darn accurate.

You'll have plenty of money left over for a decent scope and rings..
    The problem with shooting Chinese bullets is 15 minutes later you wanna shoot again.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123