Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default Why Are Gun Laws Regulated By State?

Truly I don't understand the logic behind having the individual states regulate gun laws when the basic gun rights are at the national level. I find this highly illogical and wonder why it is never brought up for legislation. Since we all travel freely, easily and quickly across state lines (it is no longer 1800) shouldn't gun laws be standardized across all states? Anyone wanting to carry a gun should have to take the basic firearms class such as those via the NRA sponsored programs, and even perhaps pay a national fee for a carry permit, and then all citizens should be able to carry concealed across all states, period. I find it completely idiotic that each state is different and we need reciprocation agreements, etc. If its a national right then the laws governing it need to be national.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Why Are Gun Laws Regulated By State?

Quote Originally Posted by markjordan View Post
    Truly I don't understand the logic behind having the individual states regulate gun laws when the basic gun rights are at the national level. I find this highly illogical and wonder why it is never brought up for legislation. Since we all travel freely, easily and quickly across state lines (it is no longer 1800) shouldn't gun laws be standardized across all states? Anyone wanting to carry a gun should have to take the basic firearms class such as those via the NRA sponsored programs, and even perhaps pay a national fee for a carry permit, and then all citizens should be able to carry concealed across all states, period. I find it completely idiotic that each state is different and we need reciprocation agreements, etc. If its a national right then the laws governing it need to be national.
    That is completely asinine.. When do you need to take a class to own a Bible and to carry it with you? When do you need a permit to carry the Bible?

Rights do not need government permission to practice them. What you are suggesting would require the Second Amendment to read more like this below.

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the privilege of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Do not buy into the permitting structure. Requiring a permit relegates a right into a privilege. If you need a permit to perform an action, it is no longer a right - and the last time I read the 2A it said "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." To keep is to own and possess. To bear is to CARRY. If you have a right to bear, then why the hell do I need a permit? Once you allow the state or federal governments to have authority over something it is a cold day in hell before you regain that right from the state of privilege that you let it become.

Openly carry of arms should be legal without a permit anywhere in the USA. Now, there is strong argument that CONCEALED CARRY could be regulated because that was the method of cowards, assassins, and men of nefarious intent.

Unlicensed open carry nationwide - no damn exceptions.
    Last edited by knight0334; September 18th, 2013 at 10:18 AM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bucks County)

interesting first post, troll.

(Westmoreland County)

I find it completely idiotic that each state is different and we need reciprocation agreements, etc. If its a national right then the laws governing it need to be national.
    National uniformity cuts both ways, I"m afraid. We could just as easily be like New York City as we could be like Alaska or Vermont.

It's that Federalism thing. Fifty different places where people can live under agreed upon rules, to see how different sorts of rules make life go a certain way.

I welcome it because "one size fits all" doesn't work AND it does our side good to see how much of an unmitigated disaster California, New York and other high crime/high violence locales have been in terms of "gun control".

If "gun violence" was rampant in Texas, Alaska and other gun rights friendly States and people were safe in California and New York almost no one would support our rights. The reverse is true, which has protected us except from ideologues and idiots.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by McSull View Post
    interesting first post, troll.
    been quite a few of these lately...
    Hunting is NOT a 2nd Amendment Activity

(Bucks County)

The states created the Feds, reluctantly at that. Thus the Constitution is written restricting the power of the Feds and giving the power to the people through Bill of Rights and the states much to the chagrin of tyrants.
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by StingyGunner View Post
    been quite a few of these lately...
    Probably some college dope trying to please his Anti-American professor.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

Allegheny County, Robinson Twnshp, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)

I see your point, but you're misunderstanding the concept of State's Rights and the whole National vs. State regulation. The Feds job, when it comes to firearms, is to make sure via the supreme court that the States do not infringe on our rights. It is not the Fed's job to make blanket regulations that give states no latitude. Our country isn't designed that way, thankfully. Take Pennsylvania for example, our constitution is actually more aggressive in it's wording than than the US Bill of Rights when it comes to ensuring the RTKBA. Should the feds have the power to force PA to adopt a lower standard of protection for its citizens? Only if you don't agree with the concept of America.

Paying on a national level for a right is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard. Do you pay for the freedom of religion? Of course not. Giving the feds even more of our hard earned money to exercise a guaranteed right is ridiculous and so blatantly big-government that it makes me sick.

Needing to take classes to exercise your right is equally absurd, not only that, but such a regulation is the job of the States, not the feds.

I suggest you take some time to research and find out exactly what the purpose of the federal government was intended to be.

States have inherent police powers, limited only by their own constitutions and federal law.

The Feds have a limited delegation of powers, just the enumerated powers. The Feds have exceeded their authority, some of the states protested once but were strongly discouraged. And blown up and burned.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    States have inherent police powers, limited only by their own constitutions and federal law.

The Feds have a limited delegation of powers, just the enumerated powers. The Feds have exceeded their authority, some of the states protested once but were strongly discouraged. And blown up and burned.
    Hey they did get "reconstructed" sorta. The north tried to turn them into little statist colonies after the "war of northern aggression" it worked to some extent. That was pretty much the end of federalism and the beginning of tyranny. Although I find it funny how this country started out with great intentions and quickly got to work on how not to implement all of our founding fathers ideas.
    WHEN DEMOCRACY TURNS TO TYRANNY, THE ARMED CITIZEN STILL GETS TO VOTE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast