Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Warren County)

Default how many rounds?

due to some recalls and some firearm shuffling between the wife and myself I have found myself with a question.

How many rounds to you shoot through a new ccw gun before you consider it good to go?

I have heard 500 fmj 200jhp, 200fmj 50jhp, 50 fmj 1 mag jhp. I am usually around 150 rounds of fmj and the 2 mags i carry used with jhp to make sure that gun and mag both work together with that ammo.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: how many rounds?

It depend on the Gun, i find that Kahr, Colt , CZ and witness Guns you really have to give them a good breaking in say about 200 to 300 rounds.

On Sigs, Glocks and Berettsa i find that 20 to 50 rounds is sufficient.

The point is that some brands need it more than some.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    and Smith M&Ps.

I just started carrying at the beginning of this year so I do not know how other people are. I made sure to get 150 rounds of cheap plinking ammo (Federal Champion I believe it was) and then I did 50 rounds of carry ammo. That was enough for me to trust my pistol.

Since then I've let it run dirty, dry and really wet, just to make sure it works in any condition. Probably put another 200 or so rounds through it since then and it's been flawless, so I am pretty confident in my pistol.

Just for reference, I carry an FN FNS-9.

I carry a .357 magnum revolver, so I just made sure the thing went bang when I pulled the trigger and that I could get fist groups at 7 yards.

My Sig P232 was flawless from the first magazine

(Beaver County)

4 runs through an IDPA course.

While slow fire is nice the stress of IDPA will show any kink in the armor. Remember that your counting on your gun in a stressful situation. You should train with it that way.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Allegheny County)

Generally speaking for me 250 rounds of whatever is cheap plus 50 rounds of carry ammo.

That should get you past most manufactures documented break in if they have any. But that is my number so I can feel comfortable that the firearm works trouble free.

The first 250 is to make sure the firearm functions. Then I shoot 50 rounds of my chosen defensive ammo to make sure the firearm functions with that ammo specifically.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Montgomery County)

There is no magic number.

Shoot enough to make yourself comfortable and feel the gun is reliable.. You will shoot a gun that you trust much better than one you have no confidence in.
    The problem with shooting Chinese bullets is 15 minutes later you wanna shoot again.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    It depend on the Gun, i find that Kahr, Colt , CZ and witness Guns you really have to give them a good breaking in say about 200 to 300 rounds.

The point is that some brands need it more than some.
    Agree with this. I used to just put a box of ammo(50) thru just to see if there were any obvious problems and to get all the parts meshed and working together. Then clean and lubricate.
    But I would shoot more if the maker says too.

If it was being carried, there could be no problems at all. No FTF, FTE, etc. I remember taking about half a dozen Beretta 21's to the range for coworkers/friends. Some were flawless, one would not fire at all and had to be sent back and the rest were real picky with ammo. One was a problem with everything I tried and i said half as a joke, "lets try this Fiocchi ammo since they both have Italian names!" Guess what, it was flawless with this ammo.
    Can you imagine if these were carried without being fired? Suicide. Remember, one couldn't even fire and had to sent back. They all looked good and were all new.
    Last edited by timdennis; September 17th, 2013 at 12:36 PM.
    Tim

(Cambria County)

put a few mags through it at the range to get the feel of it, then run it through a few courses of fire IDPA or IPSC style to really see how it runs. No issues = good to go

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast