Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default New Toy...Glock 33

I was originally looking for a G30 or G36 in .45, but I liked how this was even smaller than the 36, but I got 9+1 of all that power in an extremely small package.

I know .45 is the "ultimate" carry caliber, but I thought .357sig was a good compromise for the best power in that size pistol. I picked up some Cor-Bon 125grain JHP, 1425fps at the muzzle for 564 ft/lbs. I fail to see how I'd have a problem stopping anybody with this.

Experieces? Thoughts?

Edit to add: Also entering my thougts were that I already have a .45, a Kimber 1911....I'd feel bad about buying another .45 when I already have a Cadillac in the garage.
    Last edited by DemonOfTheFall; May 6th, 2008 at 03:00 PM. Reason: addition
    Pittsburgh, PA

I also am a huge metalhead. PM if you wanna talk music.

(Montgomery County)

Thumbs up Re: New Toy...Glock 33

I have a G30 and I love it. Holds 10+1 is really small in size. I keep it loaded with MagSafes. As far as self defense it really comes down to personal preference.

Default Re: New Toy...Glock 33

First off all, congratulations. Its a great pistol, furthermore, I would not classify the .357SIG as a COMPROMISE over the .45ACP. They are both exceptional when it comes to stopping power. I own pistols chambered in both ,but the only problem with the .357SIG is its great potential for over penetration, especially in densly populated areas. Its a higher velocity round.
    My first choice would be the .45ACP in a quality JHP, ie, Speer Gold Dot, Corbon, Winchester Ranger, etc, but in the end, you cannot go wrong with a pistol chambered in .357SIG. I own a Glock 32 and love it, its accurate and a tac driver, but I sometimes worry about the .357SIG for personal protection with respect to liability issues if an innocent bystander is hit.
    Another consideration, if you don't reload, .45ACP is much cheaper with respect to factory ammo, .357SIG costs substantially more.
    in the end you made a good choice, just keep the things that I mentioned above in mind. If I were you, don't even think about using FMJ .357SIG for personal protection. Find a quality Speer Gold Dot JHP or Corbon DPX/JHP load for your .357SIG chambered Glock.
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor.

(York County)

I have had my G33 for a little more than a year and I have carried it off and on for all of that time and I really love it. I also agree from what I have read and seen that it does have a possiblity for overpenetration. The State Police departments that have adopted the 357sig like it for penetration thru auto glass and such.
    It is a very 'snappy' round and in the G33....it takes some handling to control, but I like it alot.
    When I don't carry my G33, I have carried my G30. Both are hugely concealable and I don't know if I have a preference of one over the other.

(Blair County)

You made a wise choice with the model 33. At least I hope you did since I bought one 2 years ago and really like it.

There are people here who know MUCH more about Glocks than I do, but I believe you can buy a .40 S&W barrel for it and use the same mags.

You can also purchase a 9mm conversion kit for it. I have one & recently learned from Average Bear that you should change the recoil spring when shooting 9mm to prevent being hammered on the "noggin" by the empty casings. I take a lot less Aspirin now!

And of course you can add an Advantage Arms .22 conversion kit to your collection. Heck I would say that makes it a very versatile little pistol!

As previously mentioned the .357 Sig can be a little snappy (I love that word). But nothing you can not handle. Not bad at all really.

I carry Gold Dot jacketed hollow points in mine.

Congratulations on your choice of handguns! Ya' done good!
    ~ Luke... Come to the dark side... We have cookies! ~

i'd rather go against an unaccurate .45acp than a well placed 357sig shot. 45acp doesn't throw people to the ground leaving them in 4pieces, all service calibers are marginally the same these days. 33 is a great gun, have gun with it.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by XD45 View Post
    i'd rather go against an unaccurate .45acp than a well placed 357sig shot. 45acp doesn't throw people to the ground leaving them in 4pieces
    +1 you are right on there!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by DemonOfTheFall View Post
    I fail to see how I'd have a problem stopping anybody with this.

Experieces? Thoughts?
    You won't have any harder of a time stopping someone with this than any other service caliber out there. Shot placement is king, as XD45 eluded to.

Of all of the people I know who've spoken with Trauma Surgeons and battlefield Medic's...almost no-one can tell the difference in the wound tract between pistol calibers (9mm - 44magnum) till they get the bullet out.

You're certainly not "undergunned" with the .357SIG..it's just not a "magic bullet" though, either.

(Chester County)

She is gorgeous, congratulations on the new pick up. BTW I have shot the 36 and carry the 30 daily and both would have been more than fine also. Wink wink hey you picked up a Glock and for that I salute you.

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty!