Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Rust on a mpa 57 sst

So out of no where I look at my Mac 11 style mpa and there is rust on the charging handle and the side slot where it rides. Now I have kept it in a dry place and wiped down but I just got it back from a my dad and it's rusted. So how do I remove it with out damaging it and how do I prevent it from happening again? And should I just paint it with kryllon paint now?

(Berks County)

Default Re: Rust on a mpa 57 sst

Where does dad live? Someone use corrosive ammo? Someone got corrosive body oils or sweat? Bronze brush and hoppies no nine. RIG for storage. Don't paint it. Can't store your stuff where you are not present. Everybody learns this when they go home and collect stuff the neglected and thought its safe at mom and dads. Truth is nobody cares as much as you about your stuff. And you got to check it all the time. Be happy it's an m11 and not a python. I know it sucks anyway and I do feel for you but you will be on guard in the future so it's not for nothing.

(Dauphin County)

WD-40 all the way. I clean my barrels with it and wipe down the gun with it. Run a wet patch of it to store your gun and leave a little extra on problem areas to prevent rust. Could've been corrosive ammo as already stated or your dad had it in a damp environment. If it's corrosive ammo wet patch the barrel right away with windex containing ammonia to neutralize the sulfer then dry patch it until dry then wet patch of WD-40 for storage.

(Berks County)

WD40 sucks up moisture it's good to clean a wet gun, but storage is asking for rust. I have a beaker in the cellar with two rusty screws I kept submerged in WD40. Also it evaporates and turns into gunk and glue.

(Dauphin County)

Interesting. Thank you for your input. I read it online a few years back and stuck with it. I haven't had any problems but then again my guns aren't in a harsh environment.

(Chester County)

its never been shot that is the problem its in 5.7. dad lives in south east pa.
    and ill also have to throw some rice bags in with now on and get some wd 40. and your right he doesn't care cause it doesn't have wood and a bolt action.

Did you store yours in the case it came in? I keep mine in the safe in the case it came with. Never had any rust issues.

Once you find ammo you'll have a blast. The iron sights are mediocre but usable. Mount a red dot if you have one. It goes from being an ok shooter to a laser beam. Ok, maybe not quite a laser, but it is a night and day difference.

(Bucks County)

How do you guys like the gun? Sounds like a great choice for a 5.7 pistol. And about half the price of a FiveSeven. What are the carry options? sling, scabbard? Is there a holster made for this beast?

Good thing about the MPA semi's is they will keep working full of rust, dirt, and broken screws. Bad thing is rust makes them look bad, look like it wasn't taken care of, and hurts resale value...all no brainer stuff. A lot of people use this with good results: http://www.eezox.com/ Just brush off the rust and put a thin coat on the whole gun. I personally wouldn't paint it.

I found this when I was looking for an alternative for storing my precious model 70 hunting rifles (which are now mostly space taker uppers). I thought it was fairly interesting: http://www.thegunzone.com/rust.html
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Chester County)

Yes same case. And it's an awesome beast of a gun need to buy a magpul hand stop so my fingers don't slip in front of the barrel. That's a consurne. I to a dry patch and the rust rubbed right off and it looks good now but I'm still thinking I should coate it with paint or some thing to keep it looking good maybe fde

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast