Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Mount Pocono - no on property firearm discharge ordenance?

Gentlemen, thank you for all your input. Unfortunately I've been observing the change for the worse in that part of the Pocono area since the early 90s... The property in question is technically not listed for sale. It could be if we decide to go for it but the more I am learning the less we are interested. Although it does have a lake on it... In any case, we can use the property as guests but the more I read, the less I want to be there. I spoke with the zoning officer from the Mt Pocono Borough and right away he knew which property I am referring. He also told me right then that no firearm discharge is allowed in the borough. The area does appear residential but you'd think that common sense would prevail... around 30 acres of land...

I totally agree about the Lancaster county and that whole region in general, it's great.

In any case, thanks again for sharing your opinions.

(Monroe County)

Why not look in carbon county, cheaper land, cheaper taxes and right off the Lehighton exit off the pike.

(Monroe County)

When I lived in Mt Pocono (1980-85), I went to the borough office and read the ordinance for myself. The ordinance also includes archery along with pellet guns. Bet they even amended it to include paint ball guns.

Luckily, when I have to travel north, I know most of the back roads around that dump.
    “When a man cannot chose, he ceases to be a man.”

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Exbiker View Post
    Why not look in carbon county, cheaper land, cheaper taxes and right off the Lehighton exit off the pike.
    I am in no hurry. This was more of a chance to go in with my friends on a deal... I spend a good amount of time in Carbon County, camp there few times a year, go to the state shooting range there at least once a month. Overall it's way less populated... though I hear things are getting worse crime wise, esp. burglary.

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

On the money side on things, Monroe county taxes are pretty high compared to other nearby counties. Yes, they did have a big population influx with school tax increases to boot. Pocono mountain west has a local police force as a result of the populatin influx. My grandfather sold a cottage in Middle Smithfield back in the 90s when taxes got expensive, especially for a second home. Now the population is dropping off to the point of Pocono Mountain closing around 3 of their schools. The Pocono Charter school in Mt Pocono may be closing which will then put another 700 students into the county system after they planned to close 3 or so schools. It's a little confusing over there!
    ...and they have a plan...

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by mracer71 View Post
    I spoke with the zoning officer from the Mt Pocono Borough and right away he knew which property I am referring. He also told me right then that no firearm discharge is allowed in the borough.
    If you can legally hunt on your property without violating a safety zone, the borough cannot prevent you from hunting. Only the PA Game Commission can place limits on where a person can or cannot hunt.

I posted this in the hunting section in reference to school zones.

Google "Northampton v Duff"

In short, the court ruled only the PA Game Commission can set the rules as to when and where a person can legally hunt. Kind of like preemption for firearms, except this is for hunting.
    Last edited by Steve in PA; September 16th, 2013 at 12:35 AM.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    If you can legally hunt on your property without violating a safety zone, the borough cannot prevent you from hunting. Only the PA Game Commission can place limits on where a person can or cannot hunt.

I posted this in the hunting section in reference to school zones.

Google "Northampton v Duff"

In short, the court ruled only the PA Game Commission can set the rules as to when and where a person can legally hunt. Kind of like preemption for firearms, except this is for hunting.
    Hunting is mostly regulated by Game Commission, Target shooting can be regulated by ordinance.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Exbiker View Post
    Hunting is mostly regulated by Game Commission, Target shooting can be regulated by ordinance.
    Yes, I know that. But target shooting is not hunting. Hunting can only be regulated by the PGC. The OP said he was told no hunting on his property. If he can legally hunt on his property, he can legally discharge a firearm while hunting.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    Yes, I know that. But target shooting is not hunting. Hunting can only be regulated by the PGC. The OP said he was told no hunting on his property. If he can legally hunt on his property, he can legally discharge a firearm while hunting.
    Does that mean that in effect all those signs in local parks prohibiting hunting are illegal unless the township went to the PGC to have it prohibited there?
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by mracer71 View Post
    Hello folks, I am looking at a property in the township of Mount Pocono and just found out that there is a no firearm discharge on property? No hunting either... it's a 30+ acre property... Can anyone re-confirm that this is so? Are there any ranges nearby - the property is near 611/940 intersection.

Thank you,

Max.

This is what I was looking at. I think he was referring to both.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast