Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Columbia County)

Default LTCF application for Northumberland Co.

My girlfriend is planning on getting her LTCF in Northumberland county. Just wondered how easy it is? I've been through it in Columbia county but they are all different.

Thanks

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: LTCF application for Northumberland Co.

When I got mine in January it was easy as cake. Northumberland county sheriff's office had the application form on the website, you can fill it out on the computer at home, print it out and sign it. That is what I did, and then just took the completed form in with me to the courthouse. I walked out ten minutes later with my LTCF. Easy.

(Columbia County)

Excellent, thanks for the reply!

(Northumberland County)

Be advised the rent-a-cops at the magnetometer are not used to a "civilian" checking a firearm. They made me go outside and clear it on the steps of the courthouse, all the while there are Sheriffs Deputy's sitting there in their cars. I was just waiting for the "what are you doing" to come from one of them.
    "You never lived till you almost died, for those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know"

I'm a New York State resident with a valid concealed carry permit. I noticed that this website states that Northumberland Co. issues non-resident permits. When you go to the sheriffs website it states that ALL applicants must have a valid PA lic. or ID upon application. Does anyone know if Northumberland issues non-resident permits? Thanks.

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by thumpthump79 View Post
    I'm a New York State resident with a valid concealed carry permit. I noticed that this website states that Northumberland Co. issues non-resident permits. When you go to the sheriffs website it states that ALL applicants must have a valid PA lic. or ID upon application. Does anyone know if Northumberland issues non-resident permits? Thanks.
    A late reply, but here it is anyway...

At a recent panel discussion the new Northumberland County sheriff addressed issuing to NY state residents specifically. Paraphrased, his stance is that when NY state starts issuing to PA residents (shall issue without regards to any business/partial residence/ political pull) OR recognizes the PA license, THEN he will issue to NY residents. Nobody asked for clarification on wether having a second residence within the county would change things.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by PensDevil View Post
    A late reply, but here it is anyway...

At a recent panel discussion the new Northumberland County sheriff addressed issuing to NY state residents specifically. Paraphrased, his stance is that when NY state starts issuing to PA residents (shall issue without regards to any business/partial residence/ political pull) OR recognizes the PA license, THEN he will issue to NY residents. Nobody asked for clarification on wether having a second residence within the county would change things.
    I must need an updated copy of the UFA, mine only says this:

(g) Grant or denial of license.--Upon the receipt of an
    application for a license to carry a firearm, the sheriff shall,
    within 45 days, issue or refuse to issue a license on the basis
    of the investigation under subsection (d) and the accuracy of
    the information contained in the application.

It doesn't mention denial based on where the applicant lives or reciprocity from another State. Must be an old copy.

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by jerkin View Post
    I must need an updated copy of the UFA, mine only says this:

It doesn't mention denial based on where the applicant lives or reciprocity from another State. Must be an old copy.
    No argument here. There's nothing in there to deny by. From the context of the conversation during the panel, I didn't get the impression a denial was issued. More of a refusal to accept the application if it would be submitted. Not saying that is right either. I just wanted to provide an answer to our NY friend, who I assume is looking for an issuing county with the least amount of hassle.

I'd prefer if they would accept out of state applications, and I'll throw my hat in to some battles but not for failure to accept applications from NY residents on the basis that NY state will not do the same for the citizens of this county. Especially since the Northumberland county Sheriff's office is outstanding at issuing to county residents. In and out in 5-10 minutes (if there isn't a line), and no "extra" requirements. Plus, still NFA friendly (asked about the sign-off a few weeks ago).