Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default Desert Eagle .50AE

Hey all, I'm strongly considering picking up a DE in matte finish after the first of the year. I have handled one (and it was very nice), but never have shot one. I am going to be doing a bunch of research on it before I take the plunge, but I would also like to hear from those of you that own these monsters.

What are the pros and cons?

Have there been any flaws/functionality problems with what you have?

Any thoughts, facts, or info would greatly be appreciated! Thanks in advance
    "Confiscating is not stealing! I warned him!" -Valentin16

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Desert Eagle .50AE

Do you reload or are you the heir to a motel fortune?

If you answered yes to the above proceed with your purchase.

If not you should take a good look at the price and availability of .50AE.

Sure you can have a Desert Eagle sitting around and only shoot it once a year, but what fun is that?

Personally if I were ever to buy such a useless gun ( nothing personal, but it's true) I'd buy it in .357 or .44. Then at least I might be able to find ammo locally and reloading for those calibers is a timeless tradition.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

I owned 2 DE'S one 44 and one 50. The 50 is a comedic gun if you ask me. If you really want to see how bad someone flinches, put a dud in one.
    My gun spit the brass right at my forehead, so i had to hold it off to the side.
    I dont know what they are going for now, i sold mine for 800 a few yrs ago, but if you have the money to feed that mini paris gun, have at it...

(Luzerne County)

I had two DE's A 44 and a 357. Did they work? Yes. Were they cool? Yes.

Would I recommend one to someone? I don't think so.

But If you can afford one and have to have one go for it.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    Do you reload or are you the heir to a motel fortune?

If you answered yes to the above proceed with your purchase.

If not you should take a good look at the price and availability of .50AE.

Sure you can have a Desert Eagle sitting around and only shoot it once a year, but what fun is that?

Personally if I were ever to buy such a useless gun ( nothing personal, but it's true) I'd buy it in .357 or .44. Then at least I might be able to find ammo locally and reloading for those calibers is a timeless tradition.
    Me and my dad reload at his place since he has been doing it for 40-some years and has everything for it. I would just have to the stuff for that caliber. But he/we have just about all other pistol calibers except for the off/odd ones.

(Clearfield County)

it makes no sense to buy the .50 over the .44 given the huge price/availability difference between the 2 calibers. You'll be able to pick up stuff to load the .44 at just about any decent gunshop, the .50 not so much.

BUT, here's the rub

I do agree that if you're going to buy one you might as well go ahead and get the .50, as it has a certain "cool" factor.

if you buy one get the israeli built instead of american.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    I owned 2 DE'S one 44 and one 50. The 50 is a comedic gun if you ask me. If you really want to see how bad someone flinches, put a dud in one.
    My gun spit the brass right at my forehead, so i had to hold it off to the side.
    I dont know what they are going for now, i sold mine for 800 a few yrs ago, but if you have the money to feed that mini paris gun, have at it...
    I can imagine the flinching part! But kicking the brass back at your head, doesn't sound like too much fun there.

Quote Originally Posted by normanvin View Post
    I had two DE's A 44 and a 357. Did they work? Yes. Were they cool? Yes.

Would I recommend one to someone? I don't think so.

But If you can afford one and have to have one go for it.
    Why wouldn't you recommend to someone, reasons in posts above?

Obviously I'd have to save for it like most other people. It's just, I'm looking for something different that catches my eye. I have enough bolt/semi rifles and am looking to change it up.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    it makes no sense to buy the .50 over the .44 given the huge price/availability difference between the 2 calibers. You'll be able to pick up stuff to load the .44 at just about any decent gunshop, the .50 not so much.

BUT, here's the rub

I do agree that if you're going to buy one you might as well go ahead and get the .50, as it has a certain "cool" factor.

if you buy one get the israeli built instead of american.
    Thanks for your thoughts! I have a 44mag and everything to reload for it. I actually have a ton of 44mag already loaded and more I could load if I needed/wanted to. So IF I did get one it would be in .50 just because it would be different, and it's a Desert Eagle. But, that decision isn't final yet.
    Last edited by TheGhost27; September 11th, 2013 at 06:18 PM. Reason: edit

(Allegheny County)

I bought a brand new one about 4 yrs ago. I hated it. I had problems racking it, I hated the grip size, I couldn't shoot it accurately and I developed flinching issues. I do have medium to small hands so it is more of a physical issue. But the deal killer was the constant jamming. Not sure if it was the mags or the slide, I didn't care I just traded it after 1 range trip. I wish I would of done a little more research.

Surprisingly I got a good deal on 500rds from a dealer in Florida pretty easily got them next day and he said he had a lot more.

It's a cool looking gun but that's it. I also would be weary of resale value as I took a beating

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGhost27 View Post
    I can imagine the flinching part! But kicking the brass back at your head, doesn't sound like too much fun there.

Why wouldn't you recommend to someone, reasons in posts above?

Obviously I'd have to save for it like most other people. It's just, I'm looking for something different that catches my eye. I have enough bolt/semi rifles and am looking to change it up.

For the most part they are just toys. You can not hunt with one. Do you think you could carry one?

They are pretty much huge expensive plinkers.

Some would be surprised to hear me say that.

I will say that when I did sell them I made money on the deal.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast