Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Experience with Philly GPU 9-10-2013

Just thought I would post this as a heads up.

Applied July 1st. Never got any letter of approval or denial. Went there today Sept. 10 without the letter. They asked for it I said "it must have been lost in the mail". They issued it to me today.

The security guard at the desk is running interference for the GPU. He asks legitimate questions "where are you going etc" but then says that he is authorized to answer questions for the GPU and decide IF you can go upstairs to even ask them a question. He is an ex Philly Detective and addresses you as "sir" and is not really nasty but he is building security and NOT the GPU Unit. He says he does this because they are "too busy" and under manpowered. Also they do not get enough money for processing permits at $19.00

Lastly he says that the building NOT a Public Building and NOT open to the Public. LOL!

The female PO who photographed me and gave me my permit today was friendly. I asked her if she has much trouble here and she said "no". I said that is because 99.9% of the applicants are "good and decent people". She replied "yes". I left.

Just what occurred. I have not read the list of "recommendations/suggestions" yet that I was ordered to sign that I received a copy. Just like being given revised Police Directives and being ordered to sign that a copy was given to me.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Experience with Philly GPU 9-10-2013

G P U.....
    Gun Permit Unit?

Got it. Disregard.
    Last edited by Bang; September 10th, 2013 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Quixote answered it for me.

(Montgomery County)

It's almost as if I wrote this post myself. I actually was going to post my story the day I was down there did not want to do it on my phone and never got around to it when i got home.

I went the other day to do a change of address. They old guy at the front desk is not quite rude but real gruff and in no way polite either, and is quite willing to give you COMPLETELY incorrect information.

Guard... "where are you going"?
    Me....... "To the Gun permit unit"

Guard... "Why?"
    Me....... "I need to do a change of address"

Guard..."Where do you live now"
    Me......."Montgomery County"

Guard... "You need to go to the Montgomery County Sheriff"
    Me....... "No, You have to do a change of address at the county where the license was issued"

Guard... "It has to be issued by the sheriff of your county"
    Me....... "That is not correct. Change of address are handled by the issuing county. please call upstairs and verify"

Guard... "Here is you pass. you need to return it on your way out"
    Me....... "Thank you"

He never called upstairs. He must know the rules, I mean I can't possibly be the first person to come in for a change of address. How many people has he turned away like that? If I did not know for sure, I would have gone home, wasted a day, then wasted another day being turned away at Montco.

(Monroe County)

I suggest writing formal complaint letters to the Sheriff/GPU. Maybe get a people person greeting people.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by wewo View Post
    I suggest writing formal complaint letters to the Sheriff/GPU. Maybe get a people person greeting people.
    I don't particularly care if the guy is friendly or not, after all I grew up in Philly. Rude is way too common to really bother me anymore. How about just not someone that gives you completely false information?

Quote Originally Posted by wewo View Post
    Actually, only in Philly, the chief of police's GPU issues LTCFs, not the Philly sheriff

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by username View Post
    Also they do not get enough money for processing permits at $19.00
    I expect Philthy will be pushing to have the UFA changed to increase that amount in the next couple of years, and I'm sure it won't be too hard to get the rest of the sheriffs to go along with it.

Obviously the fee would need t increase because the downturn in the economy and obamacare.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Don Quixote View Post
    It's almost as if I wrote this post myself. I actually was going to post my story the day I was down there did not want to do it on my phone and never got around to it when i got home.

I went the other day to do a change of address. They old guy at the front desk is not quite rude but real gruff and in no way polite either, and is quite willing to give you COMPLETELY incorrect information.

Guard... "where are you going"?
    Me....... "To the Gun permit unit"

Guard... "Why?"
    Me....... "I need to do a change of address"

Guard..."Where do you live now"
    Me......."Montgomery County"

Guard... "You need to go to the Montgomery County Sheriff"
    Me....... "No, You have to do a change of address at the county where the license was issued"

Guard... "It has to be issued by the sheriff of your county"
    Me....... "That is not correct. Change of address are handled by the issuing county. please call upstairs and verify"

Guard... "Here is you pass. you need to return it on your way out"
    Me....... "Thank you"

He never called upstairs. He must know the rules, I mean I can't possibly be the first person to come in for a change of address. How many people has he turned away like that? If I did not know for sure, I would have gone home, wasted a day, then wasted another day being turned away at Montco.
    Since when do you have to change your address? I tried to do that and was just told to just renew my LTCF in the county that i reside in when it expires.
    IANAL

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by CartBone69 View Post
    Since when do you have to change your address? I tried to do that and was just told to just renew my LTCF in the county that i reside in when it expires.
    I don't believe you HAVE to do it, but there is a procedure for it and I thought it would be a good idea, so i did. They do the change of address with no fee, but if you want a new card with the new address there is a fee.

I thought it could not hurt, and may avoid a hassle in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I expect Philthy will be pushing to have the UFA changed to increase that amount in the next couple of years, and I'm sure it won't be too hard to get the rest of the sheriffs to go along with it.

Obviously the fee would need t increase because the downturn in the economy and obamacare.
    Just as soon as they are done with new taxes on sodas, booze and strippers to bail out the school system.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast