Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Question Galil; what do you know about it?

Question: does anyone out there have a Galil or shot a Galil or have good knowledge of the Galil?

I currently have a Garand, an 03A3, an M 14, and an older (large pin) Colt HBAR. Don't want to wreck the Colt but would like to set up a defensive RIFLE for urban use. Yep I know it should be a shotgun and I"ve got that covered but I'm speaking Rifle-speak.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Sgt Steve

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Galil; what do you know about it?

I have a CAI and one being build for me.the cai I had to send back cause of a soft receiver and then have tenngail go over it to make it work right.best way to have a galil is to buy a kit and get a receiver from CNC warrior.an have tenngail put it together or be ready to lay out between $2000 and $3000 or more for an IMI.go to uzitalk.com and then to the galil forum for more info.if your looking for an urban rifle your better off with and AR not that the galil won't get the job done it's just going to cost you a lot to get one plus mags are hard to find for the .223 galil. unless you get one like the one I'm haveing build it will be in 7.62x39 and use ak mags.plus stuff to trick it out is very limited.their an great rifle and I like mine but there are a lot better choices out there for a lot less $$.but choice is yours. it is neat to walk up to the fireing line have guys go what is that your shooting.but if I was looking for a SHTF rifle a galil would be low on the list.hope this helps crazywolf

(Allegheny County)

The Galil was based on the VALMET, and like the VALMETs; incredibly well made/too well made for what they are. If you must, get an original IMI-made Galil for best results. Like a VALMET, once you handle one there is no substitute.

OTOH, if what you want is a good 5.56 rifle for SHTF/EOTWAWKI/fun, the ARs can't be beat due to ready availability of everything you'd ever need and pretty much anywhere and everywhere.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Chester County)

Personally if you want a defensive carbine for urban use in a shtf scenario you'd be hard pressed to find a better rifle than the Автомат Калашникова 1947. Or the AK to most people. Ammo is still cheap magazine are still cheap guns are coming down in price. And reliability is a none issue and accuracy in an urban environment is good enough with training. Also there is not much that will stop a ball round from an AK at close range.
    WHEN DEMOCRACY TURNS TO TYRANNY, THE ARMED CITIZEN STILL GETS TO VOTE

(Allegheny County)

There was a guy who contributed - a lot - to the galil subforum at Uzitalk that put together a pdf (and a later revision) of all the "marks" and versions of Galils that were ever imported and by who. Good read, but I lost the link to his downloadable pdf...

That's just one of the great things about these forums...info from people who have done it or shot it or handled it, etc.

OK, for the $ I think I'll go one of two ways:
    1) Revert back to my 2011 search for a good AK
    2) Wait in the weeds for someone at the club to need money and have an AR they want to sell.

I'm keepin' my Colt.

Sgt Steve

(Allegheny County)

Don't wait too long for whatever you decide; the libtards are dancing in the blood of the Navy yard dead tonite.

(Philadelphia County)

Galils are pretty sweet... although heavy.

Unfortunately, they're also limited to the old IMI imported ones... as none of the American ones are worth a damn. ORF fucked up, and then CAI fucked up some more. The "Golanis" or whatever may look like Galils, but they're certainly not...

Since they're so scarce, they cost a small fortune. Probably better off with a different rifle for SHTF, IMO.

(Pike County)

What caliber are you interested in and what's your budget? Personally, I would just go with the AR-15. Don't believe the vocal minority on how it's unreliable, that's nothing more than a lie. If the rifle has been good enough for the most powerful force known in human history then it's good enough for me. Plus it has a proven combat track record that goes back 50 years now. Spikes Tactical makes the best sub $1000 AR-15 at around $850. The next step up would be the Colt 6920 (The gold standard in the AR world) for $1100 and the BCM's for $1200-$1300.

If you don't want an AR consider the Mini-14. You own a Garand and a M14 so you'll love the Mini-14, it operates in the same way as the Garand/M14 and it has the same ergonomics/controls as the M14. The best part is the price, they only cost around $600. It has only two detractors: Magazines and Accuracy. Ruger is the only one who makes reliable mags for this rifle but they cost on average twice as much as a P-Mag for an AR. Plus they don't have the accuracy of the AR. While the accuracy is typical better than an AK it will never be a sub-MOA rifle. Most folks seem to get 2 MOA at 100 yards. Make sure you get a Model 581 (Current production) as it's more accurate then get an accu-strut, it's cheap and easy to install. It improves accuracy a good amount plus it makes your Mini-14 look like an M14.

Finally if you really want an AK style rifle in 223/5.56 they do make them, personally I think they're abominations (I think all AK's should be 7.62x39 or 5.45x39) but don't let my personal feelings deter you if that's your preference. You can convert a Saiga 223 for under $1000 still, plus they make magazine adapters which allow you to run standard AR-15 mags which are cheap and plentiful, most importantly even with that mod the AK is still rock solid reliable. If you want to go this route don't do it without that AR mag adapter, 223 AK mags are rare and expensive otherwise. I bet going with the AK platform you could even add Gaili type mods to make it more like that platform. Things to consider.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by LifeInPa; September 17th, 2013 at 10:36 AM.
    Sanity, yours if you can keep it.....

(Lancaster County)

to RAGEQUIT.I would like to correct you on american made galil's.any galil uesing a CNC warior reciever and a good parts kit that is put together by TENNGALIL will be top notch he has build some of the best out there.an if you don't believe me go the galil forum and ask about his workmanship.I would rate his right up there with the IMI.mine is almost done and can't wait to get it.but your right about CAI galoni's I wouldn't shoot any of them with out first getting the reciever tested for hardness.I have one sent it back and then spend more money to have jeff aka TENNGALIL made it work right.along with being heavy there the issue of mag's unless your want to buy an adapter to use AR mag's.so most people are better off with an AR or a AK.I just wanted something different.but if things go south I want my sig 556 or my M1a in my hand as I head out the door.crazywolf

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast