Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Hornady custom 9mm 147gr XTP for self defense

Hi all,
    I was wondering what everyone's thought were on using the the 147gr XTP for personal protection. First off I am using this round in my m&p shield, the gun handles them well, and so do I . I figured since its such a short barrel ( right around 3") I would be better off with a heavy weight for caliber bullet since the short barrel will no doubt hurt the velocity( I have no intentions for +P ammo). I can't seem to find any reviews or testing of this ammo anywhere so I figured I would turn here for some insight, does anyone out there carry this round for self defense or have any expierence with it
    thanks
    G

(Butler County)

Default Re: Hornady custom 9mm 147gr XTP for self defense

I wont use Hornady ammo anymore due to their ammo not going bang a few times when i pulled the trigger and ive never had a problem with any other brand. in my shield 9mm i use Winchester pdx1 in 147 gr. i use the Winchester pdx1 in my 40 and 45 also. i prefer the heavier weights

Nothing to offer on Hornady other than their 135g XTP seems to get good reviews.

I have 124g Federal HST +p that i like. They also make a 147g Federal HST if you're interested.

You lose less velocity out of a short barrel with 147gr but you also have a bullet that is going quite a bit slower than 124gr. The 147gr in 9mm was always underwhelming performance wise to me. IMO the 124gr is a better weight for 9mm. Pick up some 124gr Federal HST and give it a whirl. The 147gr HST is about as good as it gets for 147gr 9mm if you want the heavier stuff. In reality if you use a premium JHP like the Speer GD, Federal HST, Ranger series and etc from a major manufacturer you can't go very wrong.

If you can't find anything but Hornady XTP 9mm go with the 124gr version. The XTP is my favorite pistol bullet from Hornady however I am not a fan of their other offerings.
    Last edited by dkf; September 9th, 2013 at 06:02 PM.

I have seen ballistic tests where 147gr speer gold dots punched through objects and penetrated deeper than lighter weight ammo. I would imagine the Hornady will do the same.