Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Question Legality of foregrips on rifles and shotguns

So I went to my local range today up in Peekskill, NY with my Ruger PC4 carbine to spend an hour or so sighting in my new scope and trying out the rifle with a new foregrip I attached to a barrel clamped tri rail adapter. One of the guys there who is a frequent shooter told be that foregrips are supposedly illegal and make my Ruger an "assault rifle". I'm pretty sure I read the SAFE Act correctly and in there it makes no mention of foregrips being illegal except on pistols. Also, the range only allows for loading of 5 rounds in the magazine even though state law says that a maximum of 10 rounds may be loaded at the range and 7 rounds everywhere else, so what was he harping on about that it's illegal? How are the laws in PA in regards to foregrips on rifles and shotguns? As far as I'm concerned, I didn't find any verbiage stating that a foregrip on a long gun makes it an "assault weapon". Nothing annoys me more than peopleb who don't mind their own business at the range and start lecturing me on what's legal and what's not when they themselves are not knowledgable of the state gun laws.

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Legality of foregrips on rifles and shotguns

Quote Originally Posted by RusskyDudesky View Post
    So I went to my local range today up in Peekskill, NY with my Ruger PC4 carbine to spend an hour or so sighting in my new scope and trying out the rifle with a new foregrip I attached to a barrel clamped tri rail adapter. One of the guys there who is a frequent shooter told be that foregrips are supposedly illegal and make my Ruger an "assault rifle". I'm pretty sure I read the SAFE Act correctly and in there it makes no mention of foregrips being illegal except on pistols. Also, the range only allows for loading of 5 rounds in the magazine even though state law says that a maximum of 10 rounds may be loaded at the range and 7 rounds everywhere else, so what was he harping on about that it's illegal? How are the laws in PA in regards to foregrips on rifles and shotguns? As far as I'm concerned, I didn't find any verbiage stating that a foregrip on a long gun makes it an "assault weapon". Nothing annoys me more than peopleb who don't mind their own business at the range and start lecturing me on what's legal and what's not when they themselves are not knowledgable of the state gun laws.
    I don't know the specifics of the SAFE Act, but it wouldn't surprise me to find it designated them as evil features.

PA doesn't have any comparable "assault weapon" category.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Allegheny County)

You left out the words "in New York?" in your thread title.

Expect the replies to vary wildly and be inaccurate.
    Last edited by Emptymag; September 9th, 2013 at 07:56 PM. Reason: tyop ;)
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

The idiotic SAFE ACT defines an assault rifle as such:

Any semi automatic rifle that has a detachable magazine and the following and one of the following features:

Pistol grip that protrudes below the action
    Thumbhole stock
    Folding or collapsible stock
    Threaded barrel capable of accepting attachments such as flash suppressors or muzzle brakes
    Bayonet mount
    Grenade launchers

For shotguns including pump action tactical shotguns:
    Rear pistol grip allowed
    No detachabe high capacity drums or magazines
    No more than being capable of accepting 7 shells maximum

Pistols:
    No foregrips
    Magazines limited to 10 rounds

That's pretty much it in a nutshell.

(Chester County)

The idiotic SAFE ACT defines an assault rifle as such:

Any semi automatic rifle that has a detachable magazine and the following and one of the following features:

Pistol grip that protrudes below the action
    Thumbhole stock
    Folding or collapsible stock
    Threaded barrel capable of accepting attachments such as flash suppressors or muzzle brakes
    Bayonet mount
    Grenade launchers

For shotguns including pump action tactical shotguns:
    Rear pistol grip allowed
    No detachabe high capacity drums or magazines
    No more than being capable of accepting 7 shells maximum

Pistols:
    No foregrips
    Magazines limited to 10 rounds

That's pretty much it in a nutshell.
    Don't know your source as to the law's content but consider:

NYS Penal Code § 265.00 Definitions

22. "Assault weapon" means
    (a) a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable
    magazine and has at least one of the following characteristics:
    (i) a folding or telescoping stock;
    (ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of
    the weapon;
    (iii) a thumbhole stock;
    (iv) a second handgrip or a protruding grip that can be held by the
    non-trigger hand;

(v) a bayonet mount;
    (vi) a flash suppressor, muzzle break, muzzle compensator, or threaded
    barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor, muzzle break, or
    muzzle compensator;
    (vii) a grenade launcher;
    http://public.leginfo.state.ny.us/LAWSSEAF.cgi?QUERYTYPE=LAWS+&QUERYDATA=$$PEN265.00 $$@TXPEN0265.00+&LIST=SEA55+&BROWSER=BROWSER+&TOKE N=08957140+&TARGET=VIEW

You need a bigger nutshell.
    IANAL

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    Don't know your source as to the law's content but consider:

http://public.leginfo.state.ny.us/LAWSSEAF.cgi?QUERYTYPE=LAWS+&QUERYDATA=$$PEN265.00 $$@TXPEN0265.00+&LIST=SEA55+&BROWSER=BROWSER+&TOKE N=08957140+&TARGET=VIEW

You need a bigger nutshell.
    "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to tl_3237 again."
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

I see they failed to illustrate a "grenade launcher."

(Chester County)

Doesn't the foregrip on a semi-auto rifle accepting a detachable magazine make it an "assault weapon" subject to NYS registration under the SAFE ACT?

http://www.governor.ny.gov/assets/do...edFeatures.pdf
    IANAL

... Also, the range only allows for loading of 5 rounds in the magazine even though state law says that a maximum of 10 rounds may be loaded at the range and 7 rounds everywhere else, so what was he harping on about that it's illegal? ....
    The range can make their own rules regarding how many rounds to load. While not "illegal", it's their rules if you want to shoot there.

... Nothing annoys me more than peopleb who don't mind their own business at the range and start lecturing me on what's legal and what's not when they themselves are not knowledgable of the state gun laws.
    Perhaps he was more knowledgable than you in this case. And, perhaps he was just interested in keeping a fellow New Yorker out of trouble with some assinine gun laws. Having your illegal [in NY] "assault weapon" confiscated on the spot by a LEO would probably ruin your whole week.
    IANAL. I don't give legal advice. I'm only stating my OPINION.
    (Did I really need to say that on an Internet forum? LOL)

(Cumberland County)

You could have a foregrip on your foregrip in PA for all we care down here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast