Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default new USP compact 9mm

So yesterday I bought a brand new USP compact in 9mm. I take it to the range giddy as anything but my happiness is cut short after experiencing about 10-15 FTEs over the course of 200 rounds. I brought it home, got all the packing grease and shit off of it and brought it back today.
    Another 200 rounds and still a FTEs a plenty. This time I also let a couple very experienced shooters give a try, they also had a few FTEs and even one FTF. The ammo I as using was blazer. I also brought my glock along with me and it all through the same ammo with 0 issues. Should I send this back to HK?

(Schuylkill County)

Default Re: new USP compact 9mm

I do not understand why anyone would fire a new gun without cleaning the packing grease out of it first. It's bad juju if you ask me. Grease does not compress. It certainly cannot squish out of the way as fast as your slide is moving. Buy, clean, then go to the range. I clean every new gun before going to the range, wether its just oily or greased, and I have never had any issues. Try cleaning it again. Good Luck!

(Bucks County)

Blazer brass or aluminum? I know some guns don't like the aluminum case. Have not shot the aluminum in a long time. Some guns eat it just fine and others don't. Try another brand of FMJ.

You've got yourself a handgun that should be able to shoot with the packing grease, boodie grease, snot, mud, sand, manure, whatever; and not have failures, not to mention it's built so you can shoot +P, +P+, or quasi. I'd at least call the customer service dept. to see if they have any suggestions. It's possible you have something as simple as a burr on the follower that won't let it go all the way to the top or the feed lips are off a bit. Maybe that ammo isn't strong enough to cycle the thing until that spring gets a few cycles on it. Remember...it's set up from the factory to shoot hot ammo.

These are guns not known for being problematic out of the box, and to sit here and guess what it is 'till the cows come home probably will just frustrate you since your Glock is running like a clock on the same ammo. HK's CS is awesome...give them a call.
    Last edited by harold63; September 7th, 2013 at 04:09 PM.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by eyecanshoot View Post
    I do not understand why anyone would fire a new gun without cleaning the packing grease out of it first. Good Luck!
    Well Glocks come shipped with a dual purpose packing grease/break-in paste, which is not to be cleaned out till 500 rds iirc. So thats where there can be confusion with other polymer handguns.

That sounds like a whole lot of fail. Too much to be explained by just "break-in".
    I have not broke in a new HK, so i have no specific info for you. I get my HK's cheap and broken in, lol. Besides a good clean, run through different ammo, and make sure you are not limp wristing, I have no further advice.
    Mostly browsing these days, and expanding the collection.

(Tioga County)

I believe that you should never shoot any gun that you buy new or used until you have broken it down to check it over and clean any excess crap out. For all you know there could be a squib load in the barrel from the factory test shooting it or some other obstruction. Or there could be an excess of grease or lubricant, whatever the manufacturer uses, in places it does not need to be.

I would try another brand of ammo and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    I believe that you should never shoot any gun that you buy new or used until you have broken it down to check it over and clean any excess crap out. For all you know there could be a squib load in the barrel from the factory test shooting it or some other obstruction. Or there could be an excess of grease or lubricant, whatever the manufacturer uses, in places it does not need to be.
    In a perfect World, you'd expect this not to be the case other than removing the cosmoline from certain kinds of guns that don't do well sitting around with no RP on it. Post makes good sense, especially the squib bit.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Montgomery County)

I would definitely call HK on this.

Like others have said, "clean then fire" unless the manufacturer states otherwise.

I bought my USP Compact new and have only had two fail to fire situations out of an estimated 5000+ rounds through it--both ended up being the round, not the gun.

I've gone a year without cleaning it (which I'm not proud to admit) and still no issues.

You paid for the warranty and tried simple resolutions (break in/cleaning), let them deal with the issues, get it back, and enjoy it.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    In a perfect World, you'd expect this not to be the case other than removing the cosmoline from certain kinds of guns that don't do well sitting around with no RP on it. Post makes good sense, especially the squib bit.
    The way I look at it, a lot of guns someone might purchase have been sitting a gun shop with who knows how many people fondling them. Just better to be safe rather than sorry.

Every gun I have bought this year has had some sort of major issue out of the box that either needed to be returned to a manufacturer, parts sent from a manufacturer to be installed or work requiring a gunsmith. Same with relatives and some relatives have had to send back guns for recalls. Maybe I just got unlucky but if manufacturers are playing that fast and loose this year to get product out the door, trust but verify.

(Montgomery County)

you guys are right normally i do take it home and give it a good cleaning and lube. But this gun is so famous for being reliable no matter I thought it should be able to handle being fired out of the box with no issue since its supposed to be the best. Not to mention I paid a shit ton of money and wanted to make sure I got my monies worth. I called my local expert gunsmith (at least he thinks he is) and he seems to think I have a stiff recoil spring and should keep the gun left with the slide locked open for a few days and try again. Not exactly what I wanted to hear but we'll get it a shot.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast