Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Question about the Ruger SP101

The smallest I can find is a 2.25 inch barrel.

Did they ever make a snub nose with a smaller barrel? I think I recall a 1.5"?

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Question about the Ruger SP101

According to this, no. I have a 2.25 barrel on my .357, that's as small as I'd want to go for a .357 round, it can be a bear to handle. I put a nice hogue monogrip on mine to help make it easier to shoot more than a few times in a row.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruger_SP-101

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    According to this, no. I have a 2.25 barrel on my .357, that's as small as I'd want to go for a .357 round, it can be a bear to handle. I put a nice hogue monogrip on mine to help make it easier to shoot more than a few times in a row.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruger_SP-101
    That grip sounds like a good idea.

Do you like the gun?

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by hotdog View Post
    That grip sounds like a good idea.

Do you like the gun?
    Absolutely, it's my daily carry piece. The grip made the difference, the gun fits in my hand better with it and helps with the recoil.

A while back, I sold a Security 6 (or police 6)
    both came with the 1.7/8" snub limited edition, they where detective guns and rarely got used at all.. I think its after shooting mine that Soberbiker got his.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
    A while back, I sold a Security 6 (or police 6)
    both came with the 1.7/8" snub limited edition, they where detective guns and rarely got used at all.. I think its after shooting mine that Soberbiker got his.
    Nah, Frenchy, I got the SP101 a few years later, what I did pick up after shooting your gun was a .357 Ruger "Speed Six" with a four inch barrel. Nearly identical to the Security Six.

(Centre County)

Bob,
    I bought your Security Six (stainless steel, 2 3/4" barrel) when you had it up for sale just before you headed back to Canada. I still have it, it fact it is one of the Rugers I display when the Ruger Collectors Association has displays at the March gun show in Harrisburg.

Op - the shortest length bbl on the SP101 is 2.25". I really like mine and I did the same thing Soberbyker did, I put on the Hogues. Gives my hand a bit more to grab. I recently acquired a SP101, .357 Mag, 3" bbl with a Crimson Trace grip. I'm not sure if I like the grip or not. Right now it is sighted in for 15 yds (I think - I need to get out some evening and shoot it from a rest to see what it actually does.
    Last edited by Xringshooter; September 7th, 2013 at 06:03 PM.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

I also love the SP-101. I missed a chance on one with a 2.25 inch barrel last week. The one I have now is the 3" version and it's probably the most favorite handgun I've ever owned. I'd never want to part with it. It's just the right size for a whole lot of stuff, and the extra bit of barrel isn't any more of an inconvenience to carry. I don't think an SP-101 is a pocket gun anyhow. I also second the Hogue grips - a very good investment if you have larger hands.

(Delaware County)

Have one 2.25 great gun.Son has a 3in and loves it,I can shoot his better than mine.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    Absolutely, it's my daily carry piece. The grip made the difference, the gun fits in my hand better with it and helps with the recoil.

What holster do you use? I have one of these that has been a safe queen and I'd like to start carrying it a bit. I have a shielded holster I got when I bought the gun but I'm not a huge fan of the way it fits (trigger is covered, but part of trigger guard is exposed. The kydex seems thin and flimsy compared to other hybrid holsters I own.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast