Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (York County)

Default SIG 1911 vs. Kimber 1911 ammo questions

So I'm thinking of taking my first plunge into the world of 1911s. I have shot many but owned none. I was wondering if somebody who is familiar with both, could answer a question for me:

Are SIG 1911's as ammo picky as Kimber? My FIL has a Kimber and it's picky. I witnessed a gentleman having ammo problems with his Kimber at the range awhile back.

I have never had the pleasure of shooting a SIG 1911, however I have shot other models that seem to be a little ammo picky.

Or should I go with a cheaper RIA (or something of that level) to get familiar with the ins and outs of a 1911 first.
    Last edited by felly smarts; September 5th, 2013 at 06:01 PM.
    By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail. Benjamin Franklin

(Beaver County)

Default Re: SIG 1911 vs. Kimber 1911 ammo questions

Dumb question but what caliber. Im assuming .45 but ?

My Kimber 1911 in 10mm eats anything I feed it.

And yes guns can be ammo picky. Not anything new.

And if it was me I'd buy the Sig over the Kimber anyday of the week.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Montgomery County)

My brother has a kimber pro, and I have a Sig XO. My brother payed much more for his and likes mine quite a bit more. Kimbers are very nice guns but they need to reach a certain round count (1000?) before they loosen up, and after that, they are better. With that said, my Sig, I can not remember any FTF or FTE. Every time I pull the trigger it goes bang, and does so very accurately. The XO is less traditional looking than the Kimber, but I believe they now have a line that looks more like a traditional 1911. My fathers 1911, (made in 1913) shoots amazingly well, but its much more basic than modern 1911s. I have shot a Taurus 1911 and it was complete junk, other than that I don't have any experience with any of the other brands. I believe in buying something once and doing it right. Don't mess with the lower quality stuff.

(Delaware County)

Friend of mine has a Kimber. It eats everything. Not sure he ever tried HP's. He's put 1000s of rounds thru it shooting USPSA matches.
    No first hand knowledge with Sigs other than shooting a couple mags thru one, but that wouldn't stop me from buying one. Although I like the traditional internal extractor on my 1911 pistols.

As to buying a RIA or simlar, it really depends on what you want out of a 1911. If your willing to spend the amount of money a SIG or Kimber cost, buy one.
    I know myself, Rocks and other less expensive 1911s just wouldn't pass muster for me. {not saying they are bad}
    That said, I doubt I would ever buy a Kimber either. My friends has been a stellar shooter. Actually he just bought a Sig, but I haven't seen him in a while, so I'm not sure how it is working out for him.

One thing with Kimbers. If you buy one, throw the mags that come with it away, and buy some good mags. If your FIL is using the stock Kimber mags, that could be his feed problems.
    I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.[

R.I.P......Murphy.

(Blair County)

I only have experience with the Kimber ultra CDP II.
    I have two. The first has never had a failure.
    The other has had a few FTFs . All were in one day.
    Was using same mags in both guns.
    Both guns were cleaned at the same time.
    After oiling the one with the FTFs I had no more problems
    I love my Kimbers. And they are pretty

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by SauerGrapes View Post
    Friend of mine has a Kimber. It eats everything. Not sure he ever tried HP's. He's put 1000s of rounds thru it shooting USPSA matches.
    No first hand knowledge with Sigs other than shooting a couple mags thru one, but that wouldn't stop me from buying one. Although I like the traditional internal extractor on my 1911 pistols.

As to buying a RIA or simlar, it really depends on what you want out of a 1911. If your willing to spend the amount of money a SIG or Kimber cost, buy one.
    I know myself, Rocks and other less expensive 1911s just wouldn't pass muster for me. {not saying they are bad}
    That said, I doubt I would ever buy a Kimber either. My friends has been a stellar shooter. Actually he just bought a Sig, but I haven't seen him in a while, so I'm not sure how it is working out for him.

One thing with Kimbers. If you buy one, throw the mags that come with it away, and buy some good mags. If your FIL is using the stock Kimber mags, that could be his feed problems.
    Ahhhhh....I will certainly mention this. He loves that thing but I am on the fence because of the feed issues.

The SIG I'm looking at is railed which appeals to me because I love to add things to my guns. It would most likely be a range and home defense gun only cause I have a love affair with my EDC Beretta PX4 Compact 9mm.

And yes they are both in .45 acp.
    By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail. Benjamin Franklin

(Armstrong County)

my kimber tle eats anything i feed it, including empty brass casings and small children.

(Mercer County)

I own Colts, Kimbers, SIGs, Smith & Wessons, Union Switch, Detonics, & Safari Arms pistols on the 1911 platform and all will eat any type of .45ACP that I feed them to include wad cutters. I most cases to get them to feed reliably it is simple matter of using quality magazines and polishing the feed ramp.
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Washington County)

I have 2 Kimbers, and 2 Springfields. I've only ran American Eagle, Remington UMC and some Federal Hydra-Shok through them. I've only had 1 Failure To Load in each Kimber, and none in the Springfields. The FTL occurred within the first 100 rounds, and I've never had a problem since. I keep them clean and well oiled and they perform flawlessly.

There are a lot of great 1911's out there! Whatever you pick, just make sure you keep it clean and lubed!!
    Last edited by TheGhost27; September 5th, 2013 at 09:47 PM.
    "Confiscating is not stealing! I warned him!" -Valentin16

(Lehigh County)

I have 2 1911's Colt and Springfield. Both eat everything I throw at them. A friend has a Kimber and his does get finicky once in a while, usually on steel cased ammo.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast