Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Looking for advice on CC full size pistols.

I'm new to this forum, signed up after getting my LTCF last month.

I have been carrying a Kel Tec PF-9 in a N8^2 Tactical IWB (standard), and it has worked great. I tried a basic Soft-tuc and I could really start to feel the gun after awhile. The N8 is super soft on the inside, and is really comfortable. In the car, walking around, and even laying on my right side on the couch, the pf9 just disappears.

I love my KelTec, but it is really only accurate when up close and personal. I try to practice often so I can get better at longer ranges, but it will never be as accurate as my other gun..

Which is a Smith and Wesson M&P 9 CORE. I really love everything about this gun, and would like to carry it concealed whenever possible.

I have been thinking about getting another N8* Tactical, but I'm not sure if that design would still work with a much larger and heavier gun.

The other options have been a Crossbreed Supertuck, a MTAC (or CTAC?), or maybe a shoulder holster...

I really like the idea of a shoulder holster, as it will often be cooler weather when I carry the M&P, and I can wear it under a zip up hoodie or a jacket.

Does any one actually carry in a shoulder holster? Or is that just a miami vice style thing that people buy and then never use? I'm tempted to buy a cheapo one to try it out, then move up to a leather one if I like it.

Any suggestions? If my phone wasn't dead I wold post some pics of the M&P with my new slide mounted JPoint Red dot.

Thanks

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Looking for advice on CC full size pistols.

Cheapo holsters won't work as good as a quality leather holster. So essentially you might not like it off the bat due to a cheap nylon holster. Plus this being a heavier gun it will pull down to one side.

That being said as someone who conceal carries a larger gun and definitely heavier [Hi-Point C-9]. Carry where it feels comfortable for you. Play around with different positions. Play with different holsters too. There are plenty of quality IWB holsters available for under $30. Also I suggest going with a shirt that is one size up. Darker shirts will help hide the bulge too.

Hope I helped and welcome to PAFOA.

(Delaware County)

I usually carry my full-size 1911 in a modified cheap supertuck clone, so I can tuck my shirt over it at work. 95% of the time that's all I need or want. However, as Mrs.K and I like to go road-tripping, I wanted something more accessable while in the car. Enter the Miami Classic II from Galco. Comfortable, secure, and easy access - just have to practice my draw some more. I had previously tried 2 different cheap nylon rigs and could never get them to be comfortable. In my opinion, you get what you pay for when it comes to shoulder holsters.

Also, consider patterned shirts to help break up the outline of whatever you carry.

My 2¢

(Tioga County)

In spring and fall with moderate weather I use a darker color sleeveless fleece vest that has some extra length on it so it doesn't stop at my waist.

In fact I even put one loaded mag in each pocket to weigh it down so it doesn't flap all over in a breeze.

There are others that make vests specifically for concealed carry.

Like many I have found the pocket pistols alluring. Small, easy to carry, light. It is easy to be tempted and they do have their place in certain scenarios. But you can't hit the side of a barn with them, figuratively speaking. The pocket pistols are last ditch guns when someone is right on you.

My thinking always revolves around what I call "The Unfair Advantage". IF, and that is a big if, it ever comes to it, where I do have to go to guns, then I want a pistol that has good accuracy out to 50 feet and with plenty of rounds. I'll carry up to 6 mags of 17 rounds each in some places.

(York County)

Only you can decide what's right to carry for you, so getting opinions is like taking your cousin to the prom. I carried a Ruger P94 for ten years in a IWB clip holster (good one from Mark Garrity) and never really considered the size until I took up with my current M&P .40c and saw first hand what the difference is. It's all what you're used to. I don't think going smaller for a EDC pistol is practical for me, but I could go back up to the Ruger if need be without much hoopla. Full size M&P is about the same as the Ruger only lighter. It's much more about the support system than the gun itself.

On another side note: I wouldn't use a shoulder holster for all the tea in China. That's just me. Too much to dress around for my taste. YMMV.

(Lancaster County)

here are 2 other options

http://aliengearholsters.com/index.php/home

http://www.firearmholster.com/

I currently have the Alien holster & a crossbreed. i just ordered a holster from http://www.firearmholster.com/ which should be here next week.

all 3 are very well made.
    XD-9 SC ***** XD-40 ***** Yugo SKS ***** DPMS AR-15

(Delaware County)

If a holster is made of Nylon I would recommend that you totally avoid it. Save you money as you will quickly be disappointed with the holster. I have a bunch that I'd sell you. . Crossbreed is EXCELLENT. You will be happy with with their holsters.

Welcome to the forum and best of luck with you holster selection process.

Thanks for all the advice.

I understand that this all comes down to personal preference, and that each person is different. I am just trying to avoid spending a bunch of extra money, and ending up with a box of holsters i dont use like everyone else.

As for the shoulder holster, I was simply thinking of nylon in terms of a rig to try that method of carry for a day (likely inside my own house), and if I liked it, then drop the big bucks on a quality leather setup (boy are they expensive!).

At this point I am thinking either the N8 tactical because I like the one for my PF9, or the MTAC, because if I choose to never carry the M&P9 i can get a different kydex shell and use it for the PF9.

RUBZERK- those firearmholsters.com holsters look really nice, I have seen some with great contrasting stitching that look like a million bucks. Wonder if that is extra?...

I like the idea that with the shoulder holster, I can have both easy access and full concealment with the same outfit. Hoodie or jacket unzipped or partially zipped when I want access, and zipped up when I absolutely cant have the gun seen.

I think people worry too much about 'printing' and bulges. My greatest concern with IWB is when I go to climb onto a train, or up stairs, or if I am sitting in a chair, the grip of my PF9 will occasionally show. I could wear big shirts to cover this (and they'd have to be big, I am quite lanky), but I just live with it and switch to pocket carry when I can't risk it.

Also, I know I probably shouldn't, but it is damn tempting to carry my M&P with the red dot sight mounted. I think I will have to practice quite a bit before I try that...

(Cumberland County)

My usual carry is a Sig 220 in a Crossbreed SuperTuk (IWB). Some people love the Crossbreed holsters, some people hate them. They give you a 2 week "try it free" period. If you don't like it, send it back. They make both IWB and OWB holsters.

In addition to a quality holster, get yourself a GOOD 1-1/2" belt to support it. I recently bought a belt from www.thebeltman.net. It's a night and day difference between that and the $19.98 WallyMart belt I had previously been using. You're going to shell out about $85 for a belt from these guys, but it's well worth it.

Carry on......
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by daschnoz View Post
    In addition to a quality holster, get yourself a GOOD 1-1/2" belt to support it. I recently bought a belt from www.thebeltman.net. It's a night and day difference between that and the $19.98 WallyMart belt I had previously been using. You're going to shell out about $85 for a belt from these guys, but it's well worth it.

Carry on......
    I wear a 5.11 Trainer belt I picked up for forty bucks at a duty gear store and I love it. The Velcro works wonderfully and I use it every day, even when I'm not carrying. I've had leather belts before, and none have lasted as long as this one has for me. YMMV

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast