Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Bedford County)

Default Re: Looking for advice on CC full size pistols.

Meh I carry a 4.5 XDm .40 cal. I use a Crossbreed supertuck....and I also have a keltec pf-9 that i have a crossbreed knock off and a cheap blackhawk holster for. I mostly carry it appendix. But I like to carry the XDM as much as possible.

(Monroe County)

Just open carry. If your wearing a sweatshirt and happen to take it off who cares? It was pretty warm and humid last night. We take the dog to town, stroudsburg to socialize him.we walked around town for an hour without a problem oc'ing. Been doing it a month now and already I don't even think about it. I just grab my flyer, gun, dog and go. It is so comfortable. I don't mind a zippered sweatshirt over it but a tshirt not no more.

Last edited by poconojoe; September 10th, 2013 at 05:30 PM.

(Lehigh County)

I made this myself and been using it quite a bit.. very very comfortable

currently working on a OWB for it
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by caribstv; September 18th, 2013 at 01:14 PM.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by caribstv View Post
    I made this myself and been using it quite a bit.. very very comfortable

currently working on a OWB for it
    IMO, based on where the clips are mounted, that rides *really* low for IWB. I don't mind jamming the knuckle of my middle finger against the top of my belt to draw, but having to get all 3 fingers inside the belt to get a grip wouldn't work for me. Looks good, though - nice work.

I am (mentally) working on OWB for my 1911. I want it to ride about where your IWB is, or possibly a bit lower - grip basically even with my belt, for the sake of my shoulder. I have a piece of 10-11oz cowhide for the backing, but I still need to decide whether to go with all leather (would need to get some 7-8oz for the outside), pre-molded Kydex (available online), or mold my own Kydex (I've got it, haven't molded any yet). Part of the decision will be what kind of retention I can come up with.

(Lehigh County)

I get all three fingers on the grip without going inside my pants
    heres what it looks like. I have three holes as options to adjust it more as needed.. yes it rides lower than most its all about the degree of the cant.

heres an owb I made couple months ago which i ended up selling to friend of mine who saw it and liked it. its concealed very well and hugged the body
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by caribstv; September 18th, 2013 at 02:01 PM.

Wonder if I could make my own holster, maybe hack a few of the extras I now have laying around and combine their best attributes...

Anyway, by far and above the best answer to any of these CCW, OC questions is to start by getting a good belt.

I hadn;t thought about it, but the thicker the belt is, the tighter you can make it while still being comfortable and the more weight it holds.
    I got myself a nice new belt and it is so much better for all my carrying, I would also wear it even when not carrying. Anything to help keep my pants up 'cause I have no waist...

(Warren County)

the n8 tactical is nice the wife uses 1 for her xds but thats stretching the limits of what the nylon stretchy material and 1 clip can do. they make a solid kydex shell 1 that has the same backing though.

I ocasionally carry a glock 22 in a cheap crossbreed knock off from rbholsters on ebay. his holser is nice but required a little tweaking wih a hair dryer to make perfect but horse hide for $40 and about 10 minutes worth of work was just fine with me.

(Philadelphia County)

Hi, I quickly passed through all the comments and advise. Good advise and experiences were given. Bottom line, it is a long process choosing a holster for your pistol. Go to local gun shows and local gun shops. They will usually let you try your pistol, in their holsters. Best to ask in advance.

After buying, and wearing various holster options (no shoulder holsters), I now comfortably carry a S&W 9MM Shield in a Galco OWB. IWB was not for me. Also, try Landsend.com size Long Polo or button shirts.

Good Luck
    First generation American by birth. Patriotic Veteran by choice.

I wanted to bumb this thread, as the PF-9 has finally been retired, after 10 years.

It held 7 or 8 plus 1 depending on mag, my new Shield Plus holds 10 or 13 +1 depending on mag, and fits in the same N8 Holster I bought for the Keltec (although I believe they honored their lifetime warranty, so its only like 8 months old). And even the pocket carry holster fits and has lasted 10 years (will update with company name, have one for LCP too).

Anyway, I had stopped carrying for awhile , but recently its been a Gen 4 Glock 17 which holds 21 with the mil comp mag. But is just huge and mostly unneeded. Will still bring it some places, but not daily (cause shootings have been nuts recently). Sadly I carry off body now, but in the type of bag that could produce a mp5k in 4 seconds. (On body with shield, bag is cross shoulder, in front if i think I need from special pocket. And it holds other stuff I need now sadly.... Getting old can be rough

FYI, 10 years, maybe 9 cleanings, 1000 rounds, and not a single issue with my Kel Tec PF9 Also, after a little practice, I shot great, I shot it better than my HK P7 "psp" (Which I still wish I kept). Kel Tec and BAD QC is from 20+ years ago and died atleast 10 years ago if not longer. QC is great now, service too. 10 years, no failures, only one gun fight and I didnt have to fire.

Plus they are the most innovative weapons company of this century
    Last edited by James PA; January 21st, 2023 at 02:42 AM.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by James PA View Post
    I'm new to this forum, signed up after getting my LTCF last month.

I have been carrying a Kel Tec PF-9 in a N8^2 Tactical IWB (standard), and it has worked great. I tried a basic Soft-tuc and I could really start to feel the gun after awhile. The N8 is super soft on the inside, and is really comfortable. In the car, walking around, and even laying on my right side on the couch, the pf9 just disappears.

I love my KelTec, but it is really only accurate when up close and personal. I try to practice often so I can get better at longer ranges, but it will never be as accurate as my other gun..

Which is a Smith and Wesson M&P 9 CORE. I really love everything about this gun, and would like to carry it concealed whenever possible.

I have been thinking about getting another N8* Tactical, but I'm not sure if that design would still work with a much larger and heavier gun.

The other options have been a Crossbreed Supertuck, a MTAC (or CTAC?), or maybe a shoulder holster...

I really like the idea of a shoulder holster, as it will often be cooler weather when I carry the M&P, and I can wear it under a zip up hoodie or a jacket.

Does any one actually carry in a shoulder holster? Or is that just a miami vice style thing that people buy and then never use? I'm tempted to buy a cheapo one to try it out, then move up to a leather one if I like it.

Any suggestions? If my phone wasn't dead I wold post some pics of the M&P with my new slide mounted JPoint Red dot.

Thanks
    Hey just an fyi. I’m trying to private message you but you inbox is full. Msg me

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123