Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Re: Looking for advice on CC full size pistols.

I really like my MTAC. A good stiff belt is a must though, that goes with any holster.

This is a Glock 17, which is about the same size as your Smith, if not a little bigger.

Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

In the winter I carry a Ruger P97 in a Tucker Gunleather IWB with no problem. I am 5'7, 145lbs. As others have said a good belt is mandatory. The P97 is a full size and heavy .45 but I can carry all day without discomfort. Never tried a shoulder rig.

Bernie P

I have a Glock 23 gen 4. It is easy to conceal with a Crosbreed Super Tuck. Quite comfortable. I also have a horizontal mag holder. also carry Ruger LCR in ankle holster. I currently live in NY.
    Next month, I move to PA and my Glock will be O/C in my Safariland retention holster and my Ruger will stay put. I am a strong believer in O/C but not allowed in NY.

(Butler County)

I'm eyeing one of these to replace my Crossbreed knock off.
    http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info...roducts_id=261

My current IWB holster works ok, but I think the size of it is what keeps making my pants slide down on that side, and forcing me to constantly pull them up. I've upgraded to a Wilderness Instructor belt which did help, but I'm not going to invest into a leather gun belt until I've lost some more weight so I'm not wasting money. I think with this holster not being so large as far as total area is concerned, everything should stay in place better.

I could be totally wrong though.

I carry a Glock 19 BTW

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by James PA View Post
    Thanks for all the advice.

I understand that this all comes down to personal preference, and that each person is different. I am just trying to avoid spending a bunch of extra money, and ending up with a box of holsters i dont use like everyone else.

As for the shoulder holster, I was simply thinking of nylon in terms of a rig to try that method of carry for a day (likely inside my own house), and if I liked it, then drop the big bucks on a quality leather setup (boy are they expensive!).

At this point I am thinking either the N8 tactical because I like the one for my PF9, or the MTAC, because if I choose to never carry the M&P9 i can get a different kydex shell and use it for the PF9.

RUBZERK- those firearmholsters.com holsters look really nice, I have seen some with great contrasting stitching that look like a million bucks. Wonder if that is extra?...

I like the idea that with the shoulder holster, I can have both easy access and full concealment with the same outfit. Hoodie or jacket unzipped or partially zipped when I want access, and zipped up when I absolutely cant have the gun seen.

I think people worry too much about 'printing' and bulges. My greatest concern with IWB is when I go to climb onto a train, or up stairs, or if I am sitting in a chair, the grip of my PF9 will occasionally show. I could wear big shirts to cover this (and they'd have to be big, I am quite lanky), but I just live with it and switch to pocket carry when I can't risk it.

Also, I know I probably shouldn't, but it is damn tempting to carry my M&P with the red dot sight mounted. I think I will have to practice quite a bit before I try that...
    No, not extra. you have the option to choose your own color out of about 2 dozen.
    XD-9 SC ***** XD-40 ***** Yugo SKS ***** DPMS AR-15

Quote Originally Posted by RUBZERK View Post
    No, not extra. you have the option to choose your own color out of about 2 dozen.
    Gotcha, that is a really nice option, although I hopefully I would be the only person to notice...

I think I am going to get the Comp Tac IWB. I like the idea of being able to swap out the Kydex shells, which will be nice for different guns and also cutting one up to fit the red dot if need be.

For anything smaller, I would get another N82 tactical. I cant say enough good things about this holster. It is perfect for the thinner CCW handguns. Only issue is that it doesnt offset the clip, so on a thicker full size the clip is making it even thicker. Also, it doesn't use kydex, so it isnt as quick for re-holstering, and I'm not sure how it holds up to heavier guns.

I wish I could get a Crossbreed but instead of the leather, have the suede/foam/whatever backing of the N82. It is so nice.

Also, went to the gun show in Warminster (not all that great) and got a $20 shoulder holster to try out. It works really well, but I think it will be only good for winter clothing. Even under a hoody it is still a big bulge.

(Lackawanna County)

I love the fact PA does not have laws against open carry. While I open carry infrequently, the absence of such prohibitions alleviates any concern I have about printing or my firearm's barrel tip peaking out from the end of my shirt.

I have the stereotypical box of holsters which I suspect is not too uncommon for many forum members. I make my choice based solely on comfort. I don't really care much about a grip printing or a barrel peaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Democrat Gun Owner View Post
    I love the fact PA does not have laws against open carry. While I open carry infrequently, the absence of such prohibitions alleviates any concern I have about printing or my firearm's barrel tip peaking out from the end of my shirt.

I have the stereotypical box of holsters which I suspect is not too uncommon for many forum members. I make my choice based solely on comfort. I don't really care much about a grip printing or a barrel peaking.
    It really is great that it is not a conceal only permit. I am like you, and dont much care if the occasional peek at my weopon happens when I get in my car or jump up steps.

However, like most people I would guess, school and work are two places where absolutely nothing but full concealment is good enough.

So here is my current setup with my PF9 and N82 Holster

(Yes I know my pants are sagging, and yes i did take the picture in my bathroom)

And here is my Ninja MP9 Core with JPoint

[IMG]
    http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/yy322/jhaffel/IMG_0384_zps01048b5f.jpg[/IMG]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast