Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Bush's Youth...?

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.ledgerdelaware.com/articles/2008/05/01/news/news.24.txt
    Charter school will focus on homeland security
    Thursday, April 3, 2008 3:36 PM EDT

The first high school dedicated to preparing students for the front lines in the Nation's homeland security has gone from theory to planning in Wilmington.

The Project Manager for the Delaware Academy for Public Safety and Security, New Castle Attorney Thomas Little, signed a contract with Innovative Schools, a professional firm which will coordinate the mechanics of preparing the school for its eventual opening.

The process to find and fund a site for as many as six-hundred young men and women in Wilmington's inner city is underway.

Curriculum choices for students, who are to be called Cadets, range from SWAT (Special Weapons and Tactics) through prison guard, water rescue, paramedic, fireman, professional demolition and emergency response operator, according to a Board statement.

The first Principal of the institution is to be Dr. Fred Fitzgerald. A retired Captain in the Marine Corps, Fitzgerald teaches English, speech and debate at New Castle Christian Academy. Fitzgerald is also a former executive for Coca Cola in Jacksonville, Florida, and a former Director of Operations for the Port of Wilmington.

On the academic side of the new charter school, parents will agree to attend a monthly meeting at the campus with faculty for progress conferences.

To meet personal curriculum goals, all physically capable cadets are to attend a daily after-school exercise program. In addition, two hours of after-school sports or homeland security training will be available for cadet volunteers.
    Anybody see anything wrong with this?

Is history repeating itself??

All I can say is.... yikes!
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Bush's Youth...?

Not sure I see anything wrong but I could be missing something..then again..I did go to VFMA and liked it..
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

(Berks County)

Something like that makes me very nervous.

Anyone want to bet it they will even be mentioning the Constitution in any of the classes there?????

Sweet! Now we can have even more proficient school shooters.

Military academies are fine in my book, but "SWAT" School for teenagers?

I know, we're all focusing on the SWAT part of it, let's not forget that they will be courses on EMTs and Prison Guards.....
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

(Berks County)

First, wouldn't the name "Bush's Youth" be a misnomer since he will be long out of office before the first cadet actually attends a class? A military school that offers training in homeland security worry someone? I don't know, with the number of public colleges and universities that have started offering degrees in homeland security I don't feel particularly concerned.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Susquehanna County)

No problem at all with all the good schools that are around that teach military tack. To name a few Texas A&M, VFMA, VMI, West Point, Air Force Academy, Naval Academy. And my old School PA Military Academy, till Nam and then the politely correct forced a name change to Widener Collage

(Montgomery County)

Anybody see anything wrong with this?
    Not really. From the news stories I read, it seems that some SWAT members need more training, especially regarding trigger restraint and ensuring they even have the right address. Yea, it's probably a statistically small amount, but there is no excuse for killing and wounding innocent bystanders, especially over drugs.

If they simultaneously create a charter school that will focus on the Constitution, whose results will include statesmen, libertarian voters, upstanding citizens...maybe that will offset this charter school.