Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Default Re: Wild hog hunting in PA?

Quote Originally Posted by scoutjoe View Post
    So lets say a Saiga-12 shotgun with a pistol grip mod (the legal 922r one) with a honkin 10rd mag full of slugs. In theory if you could hit it (assuming the shot placement) it would be going down?

And yes I know you probally wouldn't need the big mag but what can I say I like high caps
    I know for a fact that the pig would go down as long as you can make your hits. We usually hunt hogs in east Texas with 00 Buckshot and it gets the job done nicely. We once got into a herd of around 30 or 40 pigs, and my buddy Wade couldn't find anymore buckshot, he started taking them with what we call "bacon peelers" (8 shot). He shot one pig about 4 or 5 times with the 8 shot, but it killed him. So yes, the slugs would definately do the job.

For some of the other questions, the pigs I've hunted are strange in that they don't have a set schedule or habits. Most of them are nocturnal and change things up, eg. they don't always feed around 2am, etc. I can also tell you that ballistic tip bullets don't usually fare very well against pigs. Pigs are so thick that the ballistic tip bullets sometimes don't kill them as easily as a fmj or "accubond" type bullet. Also remember, however many pigs you kill, you're gonna have to haul, lol, it can get heavy.

(Beaver County)

You can use your Saiga ( hard for me to pronounce, it don't start with a B, Browning, Berreta, Bennelli etc.) in special regulation areas for deer. My friends give me the "look" when I pull out my bennelli-M1 and load 10 slugs for one deer

You guys have a point on shooting wild hogs with semi auto there might be some truth to it. Although I'd hate to see someone have their gun confiscated for a month till it goes through "due process" I'm going to look into it.

Damn, this reminds me of younger days. We got bunch of dudes going into GA wood to hunt wild pigs. We got a pretty decent one of about 170 odd lbs. We cut her up, clean her, put her on the fire and got a picnic right there in the wood. Best tasting meat I ever eat (beside quails anyway).

1FingrCHan

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by rad View Post
    I was doing some net research on hunting wild hogs and came across this:

http://www.extension.org/news/110

I'm hoping to start hog hunting in the next year or two and was expecting to have to travel to Ohio and down South, but maybe I don't. Anyone know of any places for wild hog in PA that isn't a private reserve?
    Rad, there are wild hogs in bedford county,buchanan state forest,in the Martinhill tower area, it is big country and pigs are not easy to find, they almost have to be driven like deer if you hunt them during the daylight hours. I dont know about hunting them at night, our game commission does not permit guns and spot lights. In the south they hunt at night with lights and dogs. They also told me i cant use a semi-automatic rifle to hunt them. A ranger at Buchanan forest told me he hasnt seen a live one but he has seen some taken by hunters that have ranged from 80 to 400 lb. hope this helps

Well if some people want to travel to Texas some time, we'll load up the pickup, spotlights and shotguns and have a great time. We get into the heard, run over quite a few in the pickup (going somewhat slow), people shooting out the bed and passenger side. The ones running off someone is usually hitting with the rifle. It sounds like a bunch of chaos, which it is, but we do it right so it's safe. Nothing like killing about 8 or 9 pigs in a 2 or 3 minutes (if that). Out in east Texas they tear everything up, so we hunt them down as many as we can, and as fast as we can.

(Blair County)

Hey Tomcat sounds like fun to me, my son and I come to texas, he sand drags 4-wheelers, around the Ledo Texas area are you near there?

Ummm, I'm not familiar with Ledo, Texas, can you give me some places that are close to it. Are you sure you don't mean Laredo, Tx. I'm from up near the panhandle, near lubbock, tx, but the good hog hunting places I have up further east, near witchita falls. Maybe we can get together some time.

(Blair County)

Tomcat, Ledo is just outside Dallas. It would be great if we could arrange a hunt. We also go to Texarkana, and Sisily Island La. I'll keep you posted when we are making the trips mabye we can make something happen. Thanks Pap

(Blair County)

Four of us are going hog hunting in buchanian state forest this friday, I'll keep you posted on how we make out.

Just hit me up like 2 weeks before you show up, and I believe we can definately make it happen. Remember, bring shotguns, semi's, whatever you got because it'll be up close and personal and on heck of a time, lol.

Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast