Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default SBR barrel selection

I am trying to decide between these 2 barrels. Any thoughts/suggestions/opinions? Both are currently available, and both are the same price.

Will be used with: Spikes forged upper, Spikes M16 BCG for now (may try using lightweight BGC and see how it works), Syrac adjustable gas block, no suppressor for right now. All 55 or 62 grain ammo.

Spikes Tactical ST- Lothar Walther 11.5" Medium Profile Stainless Steel Barrel 1:8 Twist 5.56
    Features
    LW-50 Stainless Steel
    Bead Blasted Finish
    Carbine Gas System
    Nickel Boron Coated M4 Barrel Extension, with Extended M4 Feedramps
    1:8 Twist Polygonal Rifling, With .223 Wylde Chamber
    1/2x28 Thread Pitch For Muzzle Device, Threads Cut Concentric to the Bore.
    28.7oz Weight (Stripped Barrel Only)

Spikes Tactical ST- FN Cold Hammer Forged 11.5 Carbine-Length Barrel (5.56)
    -FN CHF barrels are extremely durable with a 20,000+ round service life.
    -11.5" CHF barrel is turned to a Light Weight barrel Profile.
    -Weighs 17.5oz with M4 Barrel extension and no FSB
    -0.625" gas block seat with a properly sized gas port and the muzzle is threaded perfectly concentric to the Bore with 1/2x28 threads. This CHF barrel is made to the Mil-Spec for the M249 SAW. But in a Lighter and Smaller package. The Cold Hammer Forging process Work Hardens the steel around a rifled mandrel, which creates the lands and grooves. This barrel are chambered in 5.56 NATO, with a 1/7 Twist Rate. The barrel blanks are the correct Certified CMV material and they are also Hard Chrome lined to the M249 SAW Mil-Spec, which is almost twice as thick as the Hard Chrome on a Mil-Spec M4. The End Result is a Light Weight Rifle that can be Run Hard Day after Day! Each barrel is HPT and MPI. They have Mil-Spec M4 barrel extensions, Mil-Spec Phosphate finish on the outside.
    Last edited by MJH; September 3rd, 2013 at 05:02 PM.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: SBR barrel selection

I am not an expert on these things, but is there really a reason for a Wylde chamber on an 11.5" barrel? You planning on shooting High Power with this or something?

Short barrel ARs are so sketchy to begin with I wouldn't want to throw another variable into the mix, such as chamber. I would prefer the traditional 5.56. Also, I prefer light weight barrels. But it means less for weight and more for heat at that length, so it's kind of a toss up. Weight is less of a liability at that length anyway since it's close to the body, and might even be an asset. I don't know.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    I am not an expert on these things, but is there really a reason for a Wylde chamber on an 11.5" barrel? You planning on shooting High Power with this or something?

Short barrel ARs are so sketchy to begin with I wouldn't want to throw another variable into the mix, such as chamber. I would prefer the traditional 5.56. Also, I prefer light weight barrels. But it means less for weight and more for heat at that length, so it's kind of a toss up. Weight is less of a liability at that length anyway since it's close to the body, and might even be an asset. I don't know.
    Thanks for the reply. I am considering the stainless barrel simply for the material, not the chamber. I think a 5.56 chamber would be better choice for this application, but it is what it is. There still isn't, that I can find, a good selection of quality 10.5-11.5" barrels in stock which is why I am trying to decide between these two choices. I only plan to use 5.56 brass cased 55 & 62 grain, nothing fancy. I also had the same thoughts about the extra 11oz difference. With it being so close to center, I am not sure it will matter all that much. I don't plan on carrying this for extended periods, so overall weight isn't a huge concern.

(York County)

Cost would play a part in deciding. I would not pay extra for the wylde chamber in a SBR unless you plan on adding a can and making it a long range rifle with scope.

Joebob has a 11.5 in stock
    http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/JoeB...-gov-416ss.htm

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lee-online View Post
    Cost would play a part in deciding. I would not pay extra for the wylde chamber in a SBR unless you plan on adding a can and making it a long range rifle with scope.

Joebob has a 11.5 in stock
    http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/JoeB...-gov-416ss.htm
    Thanks for the reply. It won't be used for long range, and will only have an Aimpoint. Would the Wylde chamber be good for use with a suppressor? I really only know what I've read in the past couple of days about the Wylde chambering, but don't recall anything one way or the other about use with a suppressor. It will eventually have one, just not in the very near future.

(Armstrong County)

What are your primary requirements for the barrel?
    Are you looking to cut holes or mainly doing simple range time and mag dumps?
    HGW, llc ~ Title 1 & NFA sales/manufacturing ~ Transfers - Title 1 $20 - NFA $50

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Nate7667 View Post
    What are your primary requirements for the barrel?
    Are you looking to cut holes or mainly doing simple range time and mag dumps?
    Reliable toy, with random mag dumps.

(Armstrong County)

I would personally go with the FN CHF chrome lines barrel.
    Its lighter and will take more "long term abuse" better than the stainless.

If your main purpose was to see how many rounds you could get into one hole, then it would be the stainless option.

And to add to your problem of choice, check this barrel out
    http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/DD-9072.aspx
    HGW, llc ~ Title 1 & NFA sales/manufacturing ~ Transfers - Title 1 $20 - NFA $50

(Snyder County)

Daniel Defense makes some good quality stuff. Noveske is another great barrel manufacturer. Though they are a bit pricy.

Posted from Pafoa.org App for Android

(Bucks County)

FWIW, this what I run on my SBR. Suppressed and un-suppressed.
    I have a 2 day carbine class plus a snot load of range time with it, about 1/3 suppressed and have had zero issues.

Noveske 10.5" CQB Stainless Steel, 5.56mm barrel group. 1 in 7 twist with polygonal rifled barrel. 5.56 Noveske Match Mod 0 chamber with a carbine length gas system. Extended M4 feed ramps. Noveske Switchblock. Built on a Vltor MUR-1A receiver with M4 feed ramps, Daniel Defense 7.0 lite rail

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast