Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Cambria County)

Default Gunsmith in Cambria County

I am looking for a gunsmith that can, cut, thread and re-crown a rifle barrel for a fair price and is trustworthy.
    Preferably near Ebensburg but if there is a good one ill travel to drop it off!

Thanks
    Rick

(Cambria County)

Default Re: Gunsmith in Cambria County

Bump

Someone has to know someone... somewhere lol

actually, I dont...but theres a guy up in warriors mark. I had good experience with him. You can drop off or ship to him. I can't remember the business name, I'm at work now...but I have a link saved on m home computer. Ill put it up later if i remember.

(Cambria County)

Frank, thanks for tossing that up! Ill wait till you post up a link or contact and ill do some digging around. Not too familiar with that area at all but nothing "Goole Maps" can't handle! Haha

(Blair County)

I think Franky is thinking about Cold Bore Customs

http://cbcfirearms.com/

Ben did some work for me threading a .22 . I was happy with it and wouldn't hesitate to talk to him about your needs.
    The resident Saiga snob
    "You will never leave Harlan alive..."

yup, thats it.

(Cambria County)

I kind of fell off the Wagon here.. sorry for the late reply!
    Thanks for the information fellas! I have some time now to get in touch with CBC and am trying to do so! I will see if he can help me out!

I just called the guy from CBC, and this is meant to be totally neutral and factual. I'm no trying to be positive or negative.

These are a sequence of events in prices changes.

- I originally had work done before, probably a couple years ago. He wasn't fully open and walk ins were welcomed at that time. I had my AR barrel rethreaded, crowned, and reparkerized. while I waited and I think it cost me approx $60 or so.

- I read his website at a later date and saw he put prices up there. Just to rethread I BELIEVE it was $75

- I later noticed that he took down prices online

- I called around about the time this thread was started because I was checking on prices myself for a new project and he said he wanted $100 to rethread and crown my AR barrel. I also note, I left a message earlier and no one ever got back to me the first time I called. I had to call repeatedly to get an answer.

- I got some extra cash and was finally ready to move forward with my project. I was going to cut my current barrel down and have him thread and recrown it. When he answered the phone today he sounded like he was about ready to fall asleep on the phone. When I asked him about the price he said it was going to be about $160 and it was a 2 week ETA. It also sounded like I was asking a stupid question to him when I asked what kind of notice I needed to have it done. I said, well I didnt know...last time I was there I just made an appointment and I waited for it....thats why I asked, I didn't know.

All in all, he is still faster and cheaper than everyone else I know of. Another local guy would probably charge $200+ and it would sit for 6+ months...........but CBC is losing business here (not that he would care with his workload, I'm sure) It's cheaper and faster for me to just buy a shorter threaded barrel online. I already have them in my que. But we're talking about an approximate 250% price increase. A lot of it in a very short period of time. Is it going to keep going up with a longer wait? He also needs to work on his customer service and phone mannerism. Or hire someone, or something.
    Last edited by Franky4Fingers; November 20th, 2013 at 02:08 PM.

(Cambria County)

Well I am glad that someone has gotten ahold of the company. I have called a few times and emailed on multiple occasions but to no avail! Thank you for that timeline and the prices included... $200 is beyond excessive in my book.. $160 even is too much. I know it requires a skill set, time, equipment, etc... but There comes a point where you can only charge so much. $200 barrel job on a $200 Rifle? I'll pass for now.

I'm still open to other options if anyone knows of one.. Riggles Gap said he can't do it and another on 422 towards Indiana said he can't either. None of the Gun Shops can refer anyone.

Thanks for your help guys!
    Rick

Yeah, I'm sorry to see it rise so ridiculously like that. If he said $60, I would have been right up again. Thats honestly still too much, but still within reason.

The high average seems to be $75. Some charge as low as $35. Which is what your average machining job would charge. For some reason, being a gun doubles the charges.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast