Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Potential LTC and Transfer Issues.

Not a bad guy so I'm not going to beat around the bush. I legally purchased a firearm around January 2012, I was arrested and charged with theft for something I had previously done in 2011 (Property Lost Etc By Mistake). Which basically means that someone lost something (credit card) and I found it and used it like a Jackass. Anyway I was sentenced to 1 year unsupervised probation, as a First Offender I was Accepted into an ARD program and I was told it would be expunged from my record afterwards. On september 4th I will be off probation and have followed all rules during the year. Does anyone know if this will have any impact on me being granted my LTC and or Pass PICS/NICS. All helpful answers are appreciated
    Last edited by Wiseyoungman; September 3rd, 2013 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Rewording

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Potential LTC and Transfer Issues.

Since you live in Philly.... Expect to have your LTCF denied because of the character clause. It's BS, but that's that.

Move out of Philly
    I don't believe your issues are prohibiting

IANAL!

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    Since you live in Philly.... Expect to have your LTCF denied because of the character clause. It's BS, but that's that.

Move out of Philly
    I don't believe your issues are prohibiting

IANAL!
    Haha if moving out of Philly was that easy for me right now I would. The character clause I'm guessing says something along the lines of "someone who has made the mistake I have would act as in a manner where I shouldn't be allowed to have a LTC" right? I looked at the restrictions on the LTC application and the only thing it said about theft was that I would be prohibited if I was also charged with an accompanied felony but I wasn't.

(Delaware County)

Character clause says "someone that would be a violent threat to the public"...

To Philly PD, that means "unpaid parking tickets"
    Not a joke... Im 100% serious

(Berks County)

I have had my identity stolen and my credit card used. Let me tell you, you are a bad guy. Your post reads like you stole the gun with the card. If you went to jail, maybe you would have paid a debt to society but probation? What do you want a cookie? People are hurt by these crimes. Feel something for them.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    I have had my identity stolen and my credit card used. Let me tell you, you are a bad guy. Your post reads like you stole the gun with the card. If you went to jail, maybe you would have paid a debt to society but probation? What do you want a cookie? People are hurt by these crimes. Feel something for them.
    I have reread my OP and thus will reword it, I completely understand what you mean by it seems like I purchased the firearm with the credit card however that is not the case I only mentioned that I purchased the firearm because I wanted to make it clear to readers that before I was arrested I was cleared and allowed to purchase. I purchased that with my own money at the time I had been working a steady job for 4 years. I found the credit card on the sidewalk. Yes I admit using the card to purchase something no matter what it was was a dumb mistake and something I hadn't fully thought through. As for your opinion on me being a bad person that is not something that I asked of you I would appreciate it if you would answer the question I posted instead of giving me an account of something that personally happened to you. As for feeling something for the people who in this case would be the victim, who are you tell me what I should feel furthermore how do you know what I feel? Thank you for your comment Sir good day.
    Last edited by Wiseyoungman; September 3rd, 2013 at 12:50 AM.

(Lackawanna County)

First, IANAL, so, I might be off base with this comment/opinion. I am open to correction if any forum members see holes in or have issues with my argument.

Since your original post mentions with the successful completion of your ARD you are expecting an expungement, I am assuming your theft by unlawful taking charge rose to the level of a felony (due to the amount you charged on the stolen credit card??). Otherwise, a misdemeanor charge would not necessarily rise to the level of firearm prohibition. If this is the case, your problems may be bigger than you think. Your original post also mentions you previously passed the background check and purchased a firearm. What happened to this firearm during your probation? If you still had it, you may be considered having been in possession of a firearm as a prohibited person which is a felony (perhaps unknown to the authorities and uncharged, yet). If this is true and comes to light, your ARD may be revoked as not successfully completed which would mean your theft by unlawful taking charge may not be expunged as you hoped.

This is in addition to the issues a previous poster brought up about how Philadelphia PD interprets the LTCF regulations/law...which are absolutely true.

Finally, as a member of the forum with "Democrat" in my moniker who has taken some ribbing for it's choice, I can't pass up the chance to point out the irony in your choice of screen name.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Democrat Gun Owner View Post

I can't pass up the chance to point out the irony in your choice of screen name.
    yea i got a laugh outa that too

(Bucks County)

Incomplete information leads to speculations.

Do not assume expungement is automatic. It is not unusual that an ARD'd person has to hire an attorney to see to the expungement.

(Lackawanna County)

OP, you found a credit card, you could have taken it to the nearest police station and turned it in to them, you could have taken it to the nearest bank and turned it into them, you could have just dropped it in the nearest mail box, any of these options would have got the credit card returned to the person who it was issued to, instead, you used it to benefit you, you are a thief, you have a character flaw, you knew it was wrong to use it, it was not a mistake, it was willful theft.
    Government 99 and 44/100 % pure bullshit.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast