Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Potential LTC and Transfer Issues.

Quote Originally Posted by IIIIIREPOIIIII View Post
    Has anybody ever gotten the feeling that they are being watched.

Posted from Pafoa.org App for Android
    ever get the feeling you have an apology to make?

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    Character clause says "someone that would be a violent threat to the public"...
    Actually, it says:

An individual whose character and reputation is such that the individual would be likely to act in a manner dangerous to public safety.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Actually, it says:
    An individual whose character and reputation is such that the individual would be likely to act in a manner dangerous to public safety.
    There's an argument that anyone with impulse control deficits is more likely than the average person to pose a risk to the public, if armed 24/7. We see it with road rage, we see it in bar fights. Some folks carry a gun and it makes them more aggressive, others just use it as a tool, like having a tool kit in the car. Owning a socket wrench set shouldn't make you more likely to break things so that you have a chance to wrench on some bolts, and having a gun on your hip shouldn't make you eager to make a point with it.

The rules on the use of deadly force are much more complex than the rules regarding "don't steal stuff from people". And the issuing authority is allowed to factor in incidents that did not result in a conviction.

Further, in Philly they are actively looking for people to screw up and submit an application stating that they were never arrested, if in fact they were arrested but never convicted. They will deny you for "lying on the application", and ARD and an expungement will NOT be a defense to this. "Arrest" is not the same as "conviction", and they are asking about the arrest. Cops have records that are not affected by an expungement order. Don't assume that they won't catch you lying.

http://archives.citypaper.net/articl...eat.guns.shtml

Honestly, the best cure is time, and growing up. Stealing in 2011 is not some sort of Hillaryesque "what difference does it make" moot point in 2013.

What I've noticed on PAFOA is a link between aggressive posting style and a lack of the kind of maturity that we'd all like to see in armed folks who might end up arguing with our brothers or dads or sons in traffic disputes. A newbie to the forum who asks for help and can't stop from dissing anyone who clutters up his thread with truthful observations, is not winning the hearts and minds of law-abiding gun owners.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

Reputation clause for issuing LTCF:

(d) Sheriff to conduct investigation.--The sheriff to whom the application is made shall:
    (1) investigate the applicant's record of criminal conviction;
    (2) investigate whether or not the applicant is under indictment for or has ever been convicted of a crime punishable by imprisonment exceeding one year;
    (3) investigate whether the applicant's character and reputation are such that the applicant will not be likely to act in a manner dangerous to public safety;
    (4) investigate whether the applicant would be precluded from receiving a license under subsection (e)(1) or section 6105(h) (relating to persons not to possess, use, manufacture, control, sell or transfer firearms); and
    (5) conduct a criminal background, juvenile delinquency and mental health check following the procedures set forth in section 6111 (relating to sale or transfer of firearms), receive a unique approval number for that inquiry and record the date and number on the application.

(Delaware County)

They'll nail your ass in the interview.....

Believe it.
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    What I've noticed on PAFOA is a link between aggressive posting style and a lack of the kind of maturity that we'd all like to see in armed folks who might end up arguing with our brothers or dads or sons in traffic disputes. A newbie to the forum who asks for help and can't stop from dissing anyone who clutters up his thread with truthful observations, is not winning the hearts and minds of law-abiding gun owners.
    Yes that seems to happen quite a bit. People post their dramas and boo hoo hoo stories as prohibited people and then when solid advice is offered it's a big F U. The same hot head impulse behavior that got them in trouble the first time keeps repeating itself and they never learn.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by thundrr1 View Post
    They'll nail your ass in the interview.....

Believe it.
    good thing you have no lawful requirement to submit to an interview. Then there's that whole pesky 5th Amendment thing...

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    good thing you have no lawful requirement to submit to an interview. Then there's that whole pesky 5th Amendment thing...
    The 5th Amendment doesn't apply to non-criminal proceedings, so it's not all that "pesky" in this context. And the PPD has a statutory mandate to investigate, so if you play hardball and refuse to talk to them, you'll be denied, and the courts will back the PPD.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Philadelphia County)

There's an argument that anyone with impulse control deficits is more likely than the average person to pose a risk to the public, if armed 24/7. We see it with road rage, we see it in bar fights. Some folks carry a gun and it makes them more aggressive, others just use it as a tool, like having a tool kit in the car. Owning a socket wrench set shouldn't make you more likely to break things so that you have a chance to wrench on some bolts, and having a gun on your hip shouldn't make you eager to make a point with it.

The rules on the use of deadly force are much more complex than the rules regarding "don't steal stuff from people". And the issuing authority is allowed to factor in incidents that did not result in a conviction.

Further, in Philly they are actively looking for people to screw up and submit an application stating that they were never arrested, if in fact they were arrested but never convicted. They will deny you for "lying on the application", and ARD and an expungement will NOT be a defense to this. "Arrest" is not the same as "conviction", and they are asking about the arrest. Cops have records that are not affected by an expungement order. Don't assume that they won't catch you lying.

http://archives.citypaper.net/articl...eat.guns.shtml

Honestly, the best cure is time, and growing up. Stealing in 2011 is not some sort of Hillaryesque "what difference does it make" moot point in 2013.

While you are correct about their observations being truthful I just don't see the need for said individual to tell me what I could've done at the time opposed to what I actually did I just don't see that as help. As for those who gave me answers to the question I asked I appreciate that, I just feel like certain posts were not helpful in anyway as thats what I posted for help.

(Delaware County)

The 5th Amendment doesn't apply to non-criminal proceedings, so it's not all that "pesky" in this context. And the PPD has a statutory mandate to investigate, so if you play hardball and refuse to talk to them, you'll be denied, and the courts will back the PPD.
    How is a roadside stop (investigation) any different than a PPD GPU investigation? If I'm asked a question by a LEO and my answer might incriminate me... the 5th Amendment protects me.
    The GPU has the duty to investigate, but I have no duty to participate.

I know you're a lawyer, but I can't believe your response.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast