Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lycoming County)

Default Savage Axis 30-06

Hi, I want an opinion of the Savage Axis 30-06... it's an all new rifle and definitely a budget rifle for any one with a minimum rate pay... I would like to buy an expensive rifle such as the Remington 700 or Browning x-bolt but they are way overpriced... The savage axis is the cheapest I could find thus it's from a reputable rifle company...

I got a backorder of this particular rifle in one week but I want an opinion like what you guys think of that rifle...

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: Savage Axis 30-06

I've read good reviews on them. The ones I've handled seemed pretty well put together for the price point. They seem like a good no thrills hunting rifle and should shoot minute of whitetail with no problem what so ever.

I would recomend saving up and spending around what you paid for the rifle on a good mid-priced scope. It will make a difference on how well it preforms.

(Bucks County)

You get what you pay for. There are reasons the Remington and browning are at that price.

The axis will kill a whitetail. Get good glass.

(Dauphin County)

I own one.. I shoot it regularly. At 100-200 yards I can get a grouping of 2-3 inches, but you have to let the barrel cool. After about 7-10 shots accuracy suffers.

(Washington County)

I love Savages but Rems and Brownings aren't overpriced just because you can't afford one.
    Fortune fingers the fearless

Nice thing about getting a Savage Axis is that you can upgrade it down the road and can do the work yourself.

Try doing that with a Remington Browning without having to have specialty tools or paying a smith top dollar.

There are a lot of people that talk crap online because they must justify to themselves why they spent 2x-5x more then they needed to if they would have gone with Savage.

I've owned plenty of rifles in the past and will say the Savage line is the best bang for the buck.

Out of the box, Savages typically will outshoot other factory rifles. Then you throw in the fact that you can upgrade to a better barrel and you will surely outshoot other rifles that cost much, much more.

The only short coming for the Axis line is that there was no aftermarket stocks available and the factory Axis stock is horrible (until you reinforce the stock). There are aftermarket stocks that will be available very soon.

Here is mine after a lot of work. I sent out the bolt to have it coated in cerakote mirco slick along with having a new bolt knob installed. My rifle started life off as a 223...it is now a 300 black out rifle.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    Nice thing about getting a Savage Axis is that you can upgrade it down the road and can do the work yourself.

Try doing that with a Remington Browning without having to have specialty tools or paying a smith top dollar.

There are a lot of people that talk crap online because they must justify to themselves why they spent 2x-5x more then they needed to if they would have gone with Savage.

I've owned plenty of rifles in the past and will say the Savage line is the best bang for the buck.

Out of the box, Savages typically will outshoot other factory rifles. Then you throw in the fact that you can upgrade to a better barrel and you will surely outshoot other rifles that cost much, much more.

The only short coming for the Axis line is that there was no aftermarket stocks available and the factory Axis stock is horrible (until you reinforce the stock). There are aftermarket stocks that will be available very soon.

Here is mine after a lot of work. I sent out the bolt to have it coated in cerakote mirco slick along with having a new bolt knob installed. My rifle started life off as a 223...it is now a 300 black out rifle.

Some of the Remington and other rifles have guaranteed sub MOA out of the box not to mention the way their triggers are designed.

How much money did you put into a savage axis versus the straight purchase of a remington 700 or browning i bolt or savage 116?

When you change a barrel, have the trigger worked, reconstruct the stock, basically you are building a different gun. Almost polishing a turd, but not quite.

When you spend the money on a good rifle, you get what you pay for. It is the same with optics.

I wonder how many people have compared a Zeiss, Leupold, or Swarovski optics to the highest level of Bushneel, Tasco, etc..

Take those scopes out on a foggy morning and tell me which you would like to have on a hunt you have been saving and training for about a year or 2?

Now if you want something just for the range, or just for the PA woods, that is different, however, if you can afford better equipment rather than learning how to work around what you have, why not get better equipment?

I have owned all three of the above and can tell you, I skimped on 1 gun and one optic and will never do it again.

It is no fun making a purchase and finding out your expectations are not what you purchased. Then the issue becomes the amount of money to make what you have perform, OR sell for a loss and purchase something else.

The Axis is the base line, just like an SPS, ADL, Ruger American, etc.. but even the Ruger American has DBM, and reinforced stock, adjustable trigger.

The 116 is a great gun, but heavy.

Once you find yourself wanting more, decide to upgrade what you have, or sell and purchase better.

This goes for cars, PC's etc.. everything will have limits.

We have one for a shop gun. Used Remington 700 > Savage Axis.

Regardless of what anyone says, it will never be on par with a Remington 700 style rifle...ever. Granted, some Remington 700s come out of the box with a lot to be desired, they at least have the ability to be upgraded substantially more than an entry level axis. Try getting 3/8" groups out of an Axis.

My first thoughts of the Axis we have here is that it seems like a decent new rifle on a budget. If I were just getting into the hunting game and needed something to use and I wanted a new gun, it may be something I'd look at. It has a crummy trigger and a chinsy stock. It's maybe a 1" gun if all the planets are aligned. However, that's plenty good for deer.

Will it work for you? Yes.
    Can you get a better used rifle for the same price point? Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Lawrence County)

If your referring to the Axis as being new to the market, it is not, been around for a while, it did have a name change not to long ago (I think it was called the Edge?)
    Anyway I own one in 30-06 in the real tree AP. I needed a rifle to replace my Slug gun for whitetail hunting and it seemed like the best budget gun out there. I spent quite a bit of time researching and its the one I settled on. The finish is great on the barrel. Its accurate enough for me although I don't suggest getting the combo with scope as the scope is total garbage. The only thing I don't care for is the action of the bolt and the magazine.

Another gun that I looked at and probably would have bought if I didn't already have my mind set on the Axis was the T/C Venture.

For a low cost hunting rifle I think its a great choice. Get a good optic for it and it will be plenty accurate for whitetail and they are reliable guns.

(Berks County)

I got one for the right price (free), so I really can't complain about it at all.
    It shot dead nuts right out of the box, with the cheap factory glass. Yes, there are better rifles out there, but this ain't a bad rifle for the price.
    I'd sum it up as a decent budget gun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey Bearded One View Post
    He's allowed because he's special.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast