Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Pike County)

Default SGL range, age rule???

Does anyone know if there is a agelimit for use of the range. Both my kids want to go shooting, they are 12 and 8. Basically they want to shoot whatever I bring. This usually consists of riflesand pistols. Basically I just dont want any BS if I teach them to shoot the pistols/revolvers.

I figure with my luck there is some hidden rule of age limit.

I did goto the pa game commisions web site, and didnt see anything. But might have not looked in the right place's.

Snert

Default Re: SGL range, age rule???

Seeing as how the following is posted on-line:

Shooters also should show consideration for others waiting for an open bench. It's not uncommon, especially leading up to the bear and deer seasons, to find an adult teaching a youngster how to shoot, or to find someone having difficulty sighting-in a rifle. Show some patience in such circumstances, and if it seems appropriate, offer some assistance.
    I think you will be all right as long as your children are under your supervision.

I am unaware of any age restrictions, however I may me wrong.
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

Until we got fed up with the antics of some of the silly people at the range at SGL 43, we shot there with our boy, starting at the age of five. It wasn't at all uncommon to see folks out there shooting with kids.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Snert View Post
    Does anyone know if there is a agelimit for use of the range. Both my kids want to go shooting, they are 12 and 8. Basically they want to shoot whatever I bring. This usually consists of riflesand pistols. Basically I just dont want any BS if I teach them to shoot the pistols/revolvers.

I figure with my luck there is some hidden rule of age limit.

I did goto the pa game commisions web site, and didnt see anything. But might have not looked in the right place's.

Snert
    Hope not, taking my grandaughter to learn to shoot this summer[she is just turning 12, way I see it she is old enough to hunt on game land property with adult supervision, she should be able to shoot on the range.

(Northumberland County)

Altough I will try to take her on weekday mornings when possible so it's not so crowded

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeWilliams View Post
    Until we got fed up with the antics of some of the silly people at the range at SGL 43, we shot there with our boy, starting at the age of five. It wasn't at all uncommon to see folks out there shooting with kids.
    I hear you on that one! My friend and I shoot there only when we have to and we get in early and out early. Unsafe people abound there. We have seen many kids shooting there also.
    Last edited by JIMMYC308; May 4th, 2008 at 03:27 PM. Reason: missed content
    In their hearts humans plan their course, but the LORD establishes their steps.

I've taken some of my kids to Nockamixon till it closed and now have taken my new daughter (10, adopted her last summer) to French Creek (SGL43). Never had a game officer do anything but watch. Yes, some bozos do show up. A discrete call to the state park office will bring a ranger. Though from my understanding it isn't officially their juristiction they will intercede on unsafe conditions. I did see a father give is son (10ish) an AR looking .22 with what appeared to be a 30rd clip (full) and walk away. That is when we left. I stand behind and to the side of my child and watch her hands with an eye on muzzle direction. I don't care at this point if the target was hit as much as safety. And I'm pleased to annouce....she is safe AND uses up targets well! As for hunters, I when I know the hunters are sighting rifles I don't go. The original intention was for that purpose so I let them their time unimpeded by me clogging up a bench to plink off 500 rounds.

(Erie County)

Thumbs down Re: SGL range, age rule???

I swore off SGL ranges after I was approached by a group of three young black men wearing Ruger P95's in shoulder holsters, wife beaters and identical bandannas.

I immediately got nervous; call me judgmental or whatever, but they looked like thugs. I was reloading a magazine when one of them TOLD me, "Let me shoot yo piece dog." I said I'm on my way out, maybe next time. He said, "Aight" and that was all we spoke.

As I was getting my stuff together, one of the guys shot the ground about 15 feet in front of him over ten times, holding his gun at an angle.

Scared the shit out of me.

(Lackawanna County)

The only age restriction I have seen is "anyone under 16 must be accompanied by someone 18 or older".

Here is the page from the Pennsylvania Game Commission with information about the state game lands.
    http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/v...a=480&q=161297