Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Renting Apartment near School Zone

I haven't found a clear answer to my question. If I were to rent an apartment that happens to fall within the 1000 feet of a school/ school zone, is it illegal to have my guns there? They would be locked up in the apartment as well as locked up when transported. Some info:

I do have a valid LTCF
    I do not carry concealed or open really ever

Does the apartment rental company need to know? Is any of this illegal or is it all cool since I am renting and it would be my new address? Thanks.

Default Re: Renting Apartment near School Zone

I'm not sure, but I think you are exempt. Like driving through a school zone.

Someone who knows for sure will chime in.
    "The first time any mans freedom is trodden on we're all damaged."JeanLucPicard

(Jefferson County)

Maybe..

If the apartment property is private property - you are ok.

If the apartment is public property(Section 8 housing, "the projects", etc) - you will need a LTCF. ....yes, there is US Circuit caselaw backing this up.

Either way - since you have a LTCF you should be ok. Technically long guns aren't covered by our LTCF outside of Philly or a declared emergency - however there is a chance the courts would see our LTCF as fitting for them to protect you from the GFSZA.

When transporting in a school zone - if they are unloaded and locked up it wouldn't matter because that is also an exemption under federal law.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

Thanks good to know. Been reading all around trying to get an exact answer. I guess the next thing I would have to check is the lease of the potential property to see if they explicit ban them...is that even legal?

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by rupertpupkin View Post
    Thanks good to know. Been reading all around trying to get an exact answer. I guess the next thing I would have to check is the lease of the potential property to see if they explicit ban them...is that even legal?
    If it is a private apartment housing - yes. It becomes a civil contractual matter between two private parties.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Dauphin County)

I am not an attorney so this isn't legal advice

If its not in the lease that no firearms are to be on the property I would not tell them. After all are you going to tell them that you have steak knifes, hammers, pens, pencils or other weapons

If it is in the lease that firearms are not allowed may I suggest finding another place to live