Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default 2013 Whitetail Rut

It's time to start thinking about the rut and our strategies as relates to taking our trophy when love is in the air.

Some articles I've read and TV shows that I've seen are predicting a later than normal rut this year. Deer expert Charles Alsheimer bases his rut predictions on the second full moon after the autumn equinox. This occurs late this year on November 17th when compared to last year's October 29th. Most other experts predict the rut as determined by the photoperiod (day length) and plan accordingly.

Regardless of what the "experts" say, my strategy isn't too overly complicated. I simply make sure that on every Saturday in November, I'm in my tree stand before daybreak and don't leave until after sundown. It's not very scientific but it covers the rut for me!

Any thoughts, predictions, or comments regarding this year's whitetail rut?
    Last edited by ettorment1916; August 27th, 2013 at 03:20 PM.
    If gun control worked, Chicago would be like Mayberry, instead of Thunderdome.

(Wayne County)

Default Re: 2013 Whitetail Rut

I think the length of day has more to do with it than the moon. How does one explain the rut in the souh coming later than the north if it was based on the moon phase? I'll be out beginning the first of Nov.

(Lancaster County)

i bet the rut is in already....muahhahahahah go watch the bucks hump them does

(Allegheny County)

Here's a good article that covers some strategies and tactics for the 2013 rut:

http://www.prohuntersjournal.com/article/?a=27

I use to keep notes during archery season for years and years. What stand, wind, temp ,and observations. Usually by about mid season I could almost guarantee which stand to hunt and when to see deer. After a few years early season stands became easier to predict. Then I got lazy.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    I use to keep notes during archery season for years and years. What stand, wind, temp ,and observations. Usually by about mid season I could almost guarantee which stand to hunt and when to see deer. After a few years early season stands became easier to predict. Then I got lazy.
    I know what you mean.

One season, long ago, I attempted to keep detailed notes about everything during my hunting excursions. I simply wasn't disciplined enough and it fell by the wayside. I just try to get out into the woods as much and as often as possible.

(Bucks County)

I don't get serious about archery hunting until Halloween. After that, it's game on!

(Chester County)

My feeling is temp has a huge effect. Especially a sudden drop. I remember a few years ago it was 70 on a Saturday and like 30 on Sunday morning (new York) the deer trails were like I95 on Memorial Day weekend.
    WHEN DEMOCRACY TURNS TO TYRANNY, THE ARMED CITIZEN STILL GETS TO VOTE

(Northampton County)

Alsheimer lists the rutting moon as Oct 19th this year. It is noted as an anomaly in his book, since a full moon falls within a day or so of the fall equinox.

From the book:

Chase period: Oct 16-25
    Breeding: Oct 26-Nov 8

That's if you buy into the whole idea. Some years it has been spot on in Western NY, others way off.

Last year the on Nov 11, I had 4 buck chasing 1 doe around my stand for 2 hours. The chase stage was supposed to be over by the 4th.

I shot a nice 10 pt on Nov 17 (1st day of rifle) that was following a 4 pt what was chasing a doe........

Bottom line, be in the woods as much as possible from late Oct on...