Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Can my girlfriend carry a handgun given to me by immediate family?

Okay, so I am well aware that handguns can be given to children/parents, grandchildren/grandparents, husband/wife without paperwork or background check. Thus, there is no actual record of the firearm being given, just like a private sale of a longarm. Both my girlfriend and I are LTCF holders. Can she carry the Glock 19 my dad gave me? It is my understanding that a PA resident can loan a handgun to another PA resident, as long as both have LTCFs and the gun isn't being used as collateral, or something like that.

Any help would be appreciated, and please feel free to ask questions that will help you answer.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Can my girlfriend carry a handgun given to me by immediate family?

as long as she has a ltcf, good to go
    I have had surprisingly few homeless people hire me. - GunLawyer001

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1911 View Post
    ...the gun isn't being used as collateral, or something like that.
    I suppose it may depend on how she plans on thanking you for letting her carry it as to whether it's collateral or not...

(Bucks County)

Wow, that was quick. That's what I figured. My main concern is say the two of us are OCing, and there is a negative police interaction.
    >The officer secures our weapons, and then asks if they are ours.
    >I tell them both weapons belong to me.
    >Either A) the officer doesn't know the law and says she can't carry my gun.
    >Or B) Asks for proof that the guns are mine. I don't carry paperwork with me that she shows the transfer from the FFL, and there isn't any paperwork saying my dad gave me his Glock, therefore no proof.

ETA: Just had another thought. Since there is no proof my dad gave me the Glock, can he "loan" it to me then I "loan it to her? Is that legal? Or can only the owner loan the gun?
    Last edited by Anthony1911; August 26th, 2013 at 06:54 PM.

(Delaware County)

IANAL ...

I'm pretty sure the law does not consider a signifigant other to be immediate family.

Richland Township (Bucks County) PA, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)

Any PA LTCF holder may carry any other firearm owned by a fellow PA LTCF holder, regardless of family ties.

TRANSFER of a firearm is different, only transfers between spouse, parent, child, grandparent, or grandchild is permitted without a PICS check. (As pertaining to handguns)

18 Pa.C.S. § 6115
    (a) Offense defined.--No person shall make any loan secured by mortgage, deposit or pledge of a firearm, nor, except as provided in subsection (b), shall any person lend or give a firearm to another or otherwise deliver a firearm contrary to the provisions of this subchapter.
    (b) Exception.--
    (1) Subsection (a) shall not apply if any of the following apply:
    (i) The person who receives the firearm is licensed to carry a firearm under section 6109 (relating to licenses).
    Last edited by RHGregory3; August 26th, 2013 at 07:37 PM.
    "More is lost through indecision than wrong decision"

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Little Cloud View Post
    IANAL ...

I'm pretty sure the law does not consider a signifigant other to be immediate family.
    Yes, I am aware of that. I'm not giving it to her to keep, or "transferring it", I'm loaning it. Basically if we both felt like OCing, I could say "Here, honey, wear my Glock today." And at the end of the day it's given back to me, and back in my safe. Sorry if you got a little confused on that part. It's not being gifted or transferred, just loaned for less than a day. She just prefers my Glock over her Beretta Nano.

(Monroe County)

Simple solution to this problem ... Get married.

Of course that my raise OTHER problems.
    “When a man cannot chose, he ceases to be a man.”

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Arrdy View Post
    Simple solution to this problem ... Get married.

Of course that my raise OTHER problems.
    AHAHAHAHA. Repped for that one. And yeaaaaaaaahhhh....no. Not getting married. Not soon anyway. I think she wants me for my military benefits

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by RHGregory3 View Post
    Any PA LTCF holder may carry any other firearm owned by a fellow PA LTCF holder, regardless of family ties.

TRANSFER of a firearm is different, only transfers between spouse, parent, child, grandparent, or grandchild is permitted without a PICS check. (As pertaining to handguns)

18 Pa.C.S. § 6115
    (a) Offense defined.--No person shall make any loan secured by mortgage, deposit or pledge of a firearm, nor, except as provided in subsection (b), shall any person lend or give a firearm to another or otherwise deliver a firearm contrary to the provisions of this subchapter.
    (b) Exception.--
    (1) Subsection (a) shall not apply if any of the following apply:
    (i) The person who receives the firearm is licensed to carry a firearm under section 6109 (relating to licenses).

This allows it. But it does not mean the police will not hassle her or you if they decide to "RUN" the serial number.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast