Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lycoming County)

Default FFL transfer for long guns?

I note that some sellers of rifles or shotguns in the classifieds require transfer at a FFL and payment of transfer fees.

I thought that long guns at private sale were exempt from the participation of FFL and background checks. I do expect that requirement in the case of handguns, but thought that most long guns (rifle, shotgun) were exempt.

Perhaps I missed yet another new gun law??
    Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'donnell fat. NRA Life Member

(York County)

Default Re: FFL transfer for long guns?

No new law. No FFL is required for a long gun transfer between non-prohibited PA residents.

A seller is free to require it as a condition of the sale/transfer, but such is not required by law.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Lycoming County)

Thanks Curmudgeon.

I've been absent from the forum for a while and am starting to look for a couple of rifles. One seller had an FFL requirement. Thought I'd better get my ducks straight before questioning the need for FFL participation and fee.
    Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'donnell fat. NRA Life Member

(Allegheny County)

totally unnecessary and some ffl's won't even waste their time doing it. I personally just pass up any offers that insist on such foolishness.
    MORDENTE MEUM

(Lehigh County)

I;m sorry, but this has been answered 18 times in the last 8 months. Perhaps we can teach you how to use the search function at the top of the page. It really does work, and we don't have to keep typing the same answer, over and over and over.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa.Sniper View Post
    I;m sorry, but this has been answered 18 times in the last 8 months. Perhaps we can teach you how to use the search function at the top of the page. It really does work, and we don't have to keep typing the same answer, over and over and over.
    If people don't want to respond they don't have to. Always amusing when someone wastes their own time bitching about wasting their own time.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCityK9Cop View Post
    If people don't want to respond they don't have to. Always amusing when someone wastes their own time bitching about wasting their own time.
    Amen, brother

(Lycoming County)

No, no new law. its one of those peace of mind type things..seller then knows the buyer isnt a "prohibited person" and the buyer I guess gets same knowing the gun isnt a "stolen gun" getting unloaded on him.

Id do it at al FFL if I felt something was a bit strange..I would preferably do it with either looking at or making sure the guy had a LTCF and Drivers license(that matched).

unless someone was a friend,in law enforcement I dont think id sell something just by showing up and quickly saying here you go give then the gun take case..without any questions/proof and then just leaving without even knowing any real info on the guy. I ALWAYS want to cover MY rear end to the best extent possible.

Oh and as a seller I would pay the fees since im the one wanting peace of mind to know the guy isnt a "prohibited person". Id not make the buyer do so....but I hope it never really comes to that(having to use a FFL)...if I was THAT dubious on the guy buying a gun i think id just not sell it to him. BUT id rather just do a simple Bill of Sale and at least if they have it SEE a LTCF and that would be good enough for me.

Now on the other hand if I found a gun(long gun) at a price I thought was great and wanted it BUT the seller wanted it to go through a FFL would I be willing to go through a FFL check for the seller..YES 100% if I thought the deal was THAT good. I dont think id be willing to pay for it though that would be on the seller....
    Last edited by CBennett; September 2nd, 2013 at 09:25 AM.

(York County)

If someone want to go through a FFL for a long gun, I'll not even bother trying to make a deal.
    Now if they want to fill out a bill of sale then that's fine with me.

The main thing I look at is the members status here, if they have been on here for years and are an active member then usually that's a good thing and I expect no problems. A brand new member, no participation in the forum then I am on high alert if I even get as far to making a deal.

(Wayne County)

It all depends on how bad I want this particular rifle or how good selling prize is.
    But than again when i buy used rifle I have to be really really interested.

Obviously seller is paying for pics.

Ps. I am sure anyone who said "pass up any offers that insist on such foolishness" will go to FFL if deal is sweet enough.
    Last edited by BB MBD; September 2nd, 2013 at 10:09 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast