Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default FI Industries Model D 380

So, I picked one up a while back in mint condition. Really liked the design of this pistol. Had one problem with it after taking out a couple times - fte.
    So today I took it again and messed with it - here is what I see, anyone tell me if my logic is correct?

Most rounds do not eject, slide is jammed back after firing, the empty casing still in place, and it appears the new round in the mag is pressing against the empty case. I was thinking "is it not ejecting quick/good enough, or is the new round putting too much pressure upward?
    So, I shot a few rounds without the magazine in, and the spent case would be extracted and drop down the mag well. So, with the mag out, should the extractor have ejected the empty out the side as normal, or is it dropping down the mag well normal with no magazine in the pistol.
    If it should have still ejected out the side, then maybe the extractor is bad? If it seems normal to drop down the mag well, then maybe the magazine is bad?
    Any help would be appreciated. Guess I could start by replacing extractor and see what happens. Or, could it be ejector - I get confused at times with extractor vs ejector

Last edited by cruzans; August 25th, 2013 at 08:36 PM.
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Berks County)

Default Re: FI Industries Model D 380

With no mag the spent round should have ejected. It's either the extractor spring or the extractor. Get both parts and swap the spring first.

Check the extractor for burrs or chips.

On this one the extractor should be an external one held in place by a small roll pin. The extractor spring should be under the extractor.

Access point should be under the slide, but I'm not 100% certain.

If it is, once the pistol is field stripped, put the slide in a sandwich bag and remove the roll pin that way. This should prevent any lost parts.
    gotta love her ;)

(Lehigh County)

How about a pic with the slide back and mag out? Some of these designs have the part that snags on the slide or get pushed down to far. My colt mustang is like that.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa.Sniper View Post
    How about a pic with the slide back and mag out? Some of these designs have the part that snags on the slide or get pushed down to far. My colt mustang is like that.
    Thanks gold cup - I'll probably start there! Sniper, here are a couple pics, not sure if you can tell anything from them though ???? Tx guys!

"Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Cumberland County)

Wonder why Numerich shows 2 extractors - 11A and 11B. Only 11B is available but mine looks more like 11A. Ughh

"Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Cumberland County)

Figured it out. The same schematic is used on Numerich when you pull up the FI Industries Model D and when you go to the Star Starfire. On the FI, it shows 11B as the available part, but on the Star, it shows 11A as the available part. But I swear 11A looks like what is in mine! Now I wonder if someone replaced it and used the Star model which is slightly different and this is causing the issue? Do I go by the info. on Numerich and order the
    11B? Decisions, decisions!
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Berks County)

Go with what you found on the Numrich site.

That roll pin on top of the slide is what is holding the extractor in place.

The two different parts 'could' be for 32acp and 380.......

Don't forget the spring.
    gotta love her ;)

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by gold cup abuser View Post
    Go with what you found on the Numrich site.

That roll pin on top of the slide is what is holding the extractor in place.

The two different parts 'could' be for 32acp and 380.......

Don't forget the spring.
    Tx. I'm sure I can figure it out after I get the slide off - but do you know the how to's of removing the pin and spring? punched out from the underside? I've dabbled in some minor repairs but never an extractor
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Elk County)

The extra photos show the extractor (the claw thing at 9 o'clock) and the ejector (the post thing at 5 o'clock) when viewing the boltface from the front.

Based on your description of the failure, I'm thinking that 1) the extractor spring is weak or broken and allowing the extractor claw to ride over the case extractor groove rim, or B) the extractor claw itself is chipped and slips over the extractor groove rim. I've seen both issues happen with external extractor pistols.

As to which extractor it takes, remove the existing extractor from the slide by placing the slide in a gallon Ziploc, and using a pin punch from the underside to drive the pin out the top of the slide. The punch is restraining the extractor, so control the extractor by placing your thumb on it and withdrawing the punch. You may need a small hook, pick, or needle nosed pliers to withdraw the extractor spring. Look inside the spring well for any remaining pieces of the spring and be sure to remove them. Do not be tempted to stretch the spring, it will only break or collapse again. Replace it.

IMO, the two extractor shown are likely those from before and after an engineering change. 11a uses a separate coil spring, and 11b appears to have an integral leaf spring. I doubt the two are interchangeable. That said, it's possible they are for different cartridges as mentioned above, one for centerfire cases, the other for 22 rimfire.

IMO and experience, the likely culprit is the coil spring; my money is on that as being collapsed or broken, so I wouldn't worry about finding an extractor unless the extractor claw is visibly chipped. While you have the extractor spring out, reinstall the extractor and pin and make sure the extractor rotates freely on the pin in the slot. Sometimes varnished oil or gunk, or burrs on the extractor or its slot prevent the extractor from moving freely, and the small coil spring is insufficiently strong to keep the extractor in place.

HTH,

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    The extra photos show the extractor (the claw thing at 9 o'clock) and the ejector (the post thing at 5 o'clock) when viewing the boltface from the front.

Based on your description of the failure, I'm thinking that 1) the extractor spring is weak or broken and allowing the extractor claw to ride over the case extractor groove rim, or B) the extractor claw itself is chipped and slips over the extractor groove rim. I've seen both issues happen with external extractor pistols.

As to which extractor it takes, remove the existing extractor from the slide by placing the slide in a gallon Ziploc, and using a pin punch from the underside to drive the pin out the top of the slide. The punch is restraining the extractor, so control the extractor by placing your thumb on it and withdrawing the punch. You may need a small hook, pick, or needle nosed pliers to withdraw the extractor spring. Look inside the spring well for any remaining pieces of the spring and be sure to remove them. Do not be tempted to stretch the spring, it will only break or collapse again. Replace it.

IMO, the two extractor shown are likely those from before and after an engineering change. 11a uses a separate coil spring, and 11b appears to have an integral leaf spring. I doubt the two are interchangeable. That said, it's possible they are for different cartridges as mentioned above, one for centerfire cases, the other for 22 rimfire.

IMO and experience, the likely culprit is the coil spring; my money is on that as being collapsed or broken, so I wouldn't worry about finding an extractor unless the extractor claw is visibly chipped. While you have the extractor spring out, reinstall the extractor and pin and make sure the extractor rotates freely on the pin in the slot. Sometimes varnished oil or gunk, or burrs on the extractor or its slot prevent the extractor from moving freely, and the small coil spring is insufficiently strong to keep the extractor in place.

HTH,

Noah
    Thanks ! Makes sense.
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast