Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Beaver County)

Default Police came to my house for report of shots fired.

Stop, this thread will not be nearly as exciting as the title implies.

First of all, it is no secret to anybody who lives around me that my wife and I open carry, because, well, my firearm is on my side in plain view on almost a daily basis and although sometimes she conceals, usually she open carries around the house. The apparent downside to open carrying for me is now apparent though as recently an officer came to my house for a report of shots fired.

My oldest son (12) was outside on our porch sorting some hand tools for me (he's such a helpful kid), when a Patterson Twp. police officer approached him and asked to speak to me (his parent). My son came in and informed me so I went out and spoke to the officer. Now, being that I keep my voice recorder in a handy pouch that resides along side my holster on my gun belt and I was NOT carrying at that particular moment, I did not get to record the conversation, and fortunately there was really no need to.

The officer, who was waiting on my sidewalk (not hovering around my door or trying to look inside as I have often seen other officers do) told me that there was a report called in for a popping sound that was believed to be gun shots. He asked if everybody at my house was OK. I told him that everybody was here and that I was sitting next to my window and did not hear any shots fired. I asked my son, since he was outside if he had heard anything. He told me and the officer that he had hear a popping noise off in the distance, but it did not sound like a gun shot to him. (He has been to the range and has heard actual gun fire from various firearms). During this brief conversation the officer seemed almost uncomfortable asking us about the alleged gun shots, and I told him that we reserve our shooting for the range.

During this encounter, the officer was polite, respectful and NEVER asked for so much as my name. I understand the officer's obligation to respond to the call and I thought the way he handled it was absolutely perfect. I really wished I had caught his name, but I didn't so based on my experience, I'd just like to say that I am very pleased with Patterson Twp. PD in how the officer conducted himself.

On the other hand, my neighbors really need to knock this shit off. Shortly after the officer left, my son and I heard the popping noise again (my son verified it was the same noise he heard before) and it was way off in the distance and sounded NOTHING like a gun shot. We have had other issues with the same neighbor calling the police on us for other absolute bullshit (non gun related).

Starting to wonder if I need to look into filing a harassment charge should the police keep being sent to my house for nothing.

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Police came to my house for report of shots fired.

First, I want to qualify my post as not being in support of your neighbor. I have had some real PITA's for neighbors, so I have felt your pain.

However, since your post mentions you open carry, could it have been the police department who made the decision to come to your house to check out a report of gun shots in the area? It would not surprise me if they know you own firearms since you openly carry in the community. I know nothing of the layout of your property or how close your neighbor lives. Could the police have possibly wanted to quickly close their "investigation" by finding out you were legally shooting your guns on your property? They seemed polite enough once they found out the answer was "no."

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Democrat Gun Owner View Post
    First, I want to qualify my post as not being in support of your neighbor. I have had some real PITA's for neighbors, so I have felt your pain.

However, since your post mentions you open carry, could it have been the police department who made the decision to come to your house to check out a report of gun shots in the area? It would not surprise me if they know you own firearms since you openly carry in the community. I know nothing of the layout of your property or how close your neighbor lives. Could the police have possibly wanted to quickly close their "investigation" by finding out you were legally shooting your guns on your property? They seemed polite enough once they found out the answer was "no."
    All of the properties in my neighborhood have less than 75' frontage and average 1/4 acre. Also, there is am ordinance against discharge of firearms. I did comment to the officer at one point in the conversation that there is absolutely no safe place to discharge in the area and therefore, I wouldn't even consider it, other than an emergency situation.

A friend of mine told me he heard the call come over his scanner and that my house was specifically referenced by the caller. Based on putting the pieces of details that I have together, I am reasonably certain that it is the same one neighbor who is always calling the police for a whole lot of nothing. She just can't get her head around the idea that it is hard to accuse us of doing things when our entire property is under video surveillance and I can account for my family's activities or at least I can account for what they do outside, and whether or not they have left the property.

I am certain the police are aware I own firearms and at least a few surely have seen me carrying when they ride past on patrol. There has never been a gun related encounter with the police here before this, and in all honesty, the officer almost seemed a little confused as to why he was being sent to my house for something like this. Of course, I'm not ruling out that he didn't feel there was any justification for the call, so he just made contact so he could say he "investigated" the call, rather than just blowing it off. Either way, I am very satisfied with how the officer conducted himself compared to how I have seen and heard of other similar situations being handled by other departments.

I will even say that even BEFORE they found out the answer to whether or not we were shooting, the officer was absolutely professional and polite. I have a great deal of respect for LEO who keep their head and approach with that type of demeanor.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by short10 View Post
    All of the properties in my neighborhood have less than 75' frontage and average 1/4 acre. Also, there is am ordinance against discharge of firearms. I did comment to the officer at one point in the conversation that there is absolutely no safe place to discharge in the area and therefore, I wouldn't even consider it, other than an emergency situation.

A friend of mine told me he heard the call come over his scanner and that my house was specifically referenced by the caller. Based on putting the pieces of details that I have together, I am reasonably certain that it is the same one neighbor who is always calling the police for a whole lot of nothing. She just can't get her head around the idea that it is hard to accuse us of doing things when our entire property is under video surveillance and I can account for my family's activities or at least I can account for what they do outside, and whether or not they have left the property.

I am certain the police are aware I own firearms and at least a few surely have seen me carrying when they ride past on patrol. There has never been a gun related encounter with the police here before this, and in all honesty, the officer almost seemed a little confused as to why he was being sent to my house for something like this. Of course, I'm not ruling out that he didn't feel there was any justification for the call, so he just made contact so he could say he "investigated" the call, rather than just blowing it off. Either way, I am very satisfied with how the officer conducted himself compared to how I have seen and heard of other similar situations being handled by other departments.

I will even say that even BEFORE they found out the answer to whether or not we were shooting, the officer was absolutely professional and polite. I have a great deal of respect for LEO who keep their head and approach with that type of demeanor.
    Sounds like a good encounter to me. Maybe a thumbed nose is in order next time the neighbor is outside.

(York County)

Maybe ask the police to file a false report charge against the neighbor every time they arrive. I'm sure they get tired of stopping by your home, and they know exactly who called 911 too!

(Chester County)

I feel your pain, I had a neighbor like that once. He would call the police for every offense, whether actual or imagined. I got visits when I started my fireplace because he thought I was burning leaves (not allowed). I got visited when using my binoculars to look at Halley's Comet because he thought I was looking in his window. I had police cars stop me when I was mowing my lawn to ask if I noticed any cars "speeding or racing" on the street because he called it in for a car with one of those noisy mufflers.

He yelled at my kids when they were playing in the yard for making too much noise and he yelled at me when some of the leaves I was raking blew on his yard and I went onto his property to rake them back.

The police almost always apologized, knew he was "crazy", but if a 911 call comes in through the county system they said it had to be cleared. They talked to him a lot and they all knew him but they had to come nonetheless.

Sometimes you just have to smile and nod at your neighbor while thinking bad thoughts, offer the LEO a lemonade or iced tea on a hot day, and carry on with your life.

(Monroe County)

What a waste of Police manpower- investigating a popping sound in a rural or semi rural area?

Up here in Monroe county i shoot in my backyard all the time, and i can tell when my neighbors buy a new gun because they shoot all day saturdays . Never seen the police come about, i guess the type of neighbors make a big difference.