Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Governor Quinn (IL) signs new gun law, crime victims hardest hit

Actually, this law wasn’t intended to punish crime victims, that’s the result of an ideology that demonizes legal gun owners–even to the point that they are considered more dangerous than violent sexual predators with known criminal records:

On Sunday, Governor Pat Quinn signed Illinois House Bill 1189, a law that will, among other things, impose requirements–on pain of criminal charges–on victims of crime. If your gun is stolen, and you fail to promptly notify the police, you are now the criminal.

Oh, by the way–confused by the initial description on the Illinois General Assembly website–that the bill “amends the Sex Offender Registration Act”? That’s what the bill would have done, before being amended to reflect Chicago-area Democrats’ view that gun owning crime victims pose a greater danger to the public than sex offenders do.

We’re no stranger to this concept that Second Amendment-supporting, legal gun owners are somehow the problem with society.

Isn’t this twisted logic the rationale behind the latest push against “stand your ground” laws? You shouldn’t be able to stand your ground if you are assaulted, suffer a home invasion, or are the victim of any other violent crime. The alternative is to be victimized, possibly murdered. Anything but actually defending yourself, your loved ones, or your property.

Isn’t this the sort of thinking that prompted leftists to urge college students to get “rape whistles” rather than legally-owned guns or training in self-defense? And isn’t this twisted logic that it’s better to be a victim of a violent crime than someone who can legally use whatever force necessary to save oneself behind the laughable notion that women should “pee themselves” in order to discourage rapists?

After all, goes the ”thinking,” it’s best to just arm yourself with some scissors when a gun-wielding maniac starts firing off rounds at a crowd than actually allowing anyone the means to shoot back, so the fact that Illinois is punishing gun owners for the “crime” of being the victim of a crime is really no surprise.

http://legalinsurrection.com/2013/08...s-hardest-hit/
    The USA is now a banana republic. Only without the bananas....or the Republic.

Default Re: Governor Quinn (IL) signs new gun law, crime victims hardest hit

I don't know if my thinking is wrong, but if I get a weapon stolen I WANT the cops to know so if it is involved in a crime I am not a suspect. A guy near me got over 20 guns stolen a few years ago, somehow some of them were involved in crimes ( he never reported ) and got traced to him. I understand that the govt. should not even know you have a gun, but your prints could be on the thing or DNA. I have all my serial numbers written down so i could at least get them back if they are found.

Quote Originally Posted by rompus View Post
    I don't know if my thinking is wrong, but if I get a weapon stolen I WANT the cops to know so if it is involved in a crime I am not a suspect. A guy near me got over 20 guns stolen a few years ago, somehow some of them were involved in crimes ( he never reported tand that the govt. should not even know you have a gun, but your prints could be on the thing or DNA. I have all my serial numbers written down so i could at least get them back if they are found.
    It's fine if you want to let them know, it's your choice. It's not okay to turn a victim of theft into a criminal if they do not report it stolen though. Among other things you may not realize a gun is missing for various reasons. Now if it is used in a crime and they trace it to you, you are a criminal.

(Susquehanna County)

Proof positive that Illinois politicians should serve two terms. One in office and one in prison.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by rompus View Post
    I don't know if my thinking is wrong, but if I get a weapon stolen I WANT the cops to know so if it is involved in a crime I am not a suspect.
    I very much hear you. But among other problems the fact that you "lost" your gun can be used to deny your carry permit in quite few places.

Basically, it's like firearms related training (aside from that "little" potential denial issue). Is it good idea to have it? Sure. Should it be mandatory (so the state will be able to abuse it)? No fucking way.
    Je suis déplorable

Quote Originally Posted by Metz View Post
    I very much hear you. But among other problems the fact that you "lost" your gun can be used to deny your carry permit in quite few places.

Basically, it's like firearms related training (aside from that "little" potential denial issue). Is it good idea to have it? Sure. Should it be mandatory (so the state will be able to abuse it)? No fucking way.
    I think losing and stolen are a little different. I have my guns locked and hidden but anything could happen.